Taskbar is unresponsive at startup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by StartUp, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. StartUp

    StartUp Guest

    Am using a WinXP Pro (version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 -
    SMBIOS 2.3) system: Dell Dimension 8400 - 3.4GHz, 2 GB RAM. Over the
    last couple of weeks, when I restarted my computer, sometimes the
    taskbar would be unresponsive.

    If a window is opened, it does become highlighted in the taskbar, but
    clicking anything on the taskbar has no effect, except that the
    taskbar seems to know that it has been "selected" (that open window
    that had been highlighted becomes un-highlighted until clicked-on
    again).

    Clicking anything on the taskbar - Start, an open window "button",
    icons on the far right of the taskbar - seems to select or highlight
    the taskbar but nothing at all happens.

    Everything else works OK. The desktop shortcuts open programs OK.
    Ctrl/Esc does the same as clicking on Start, and gives me access to my
    programs.

    Tonight I installed a new program (GigStudio3) which installed fine
    but crashed upon running. (*Perhaps* the crash was caused by the fact
    that GS3 does not support Hyper Threading, and hyperthreading had not
    yet been disabled in my BIOS.)

    Whatever the cause of the crash, since then the taskbar is
    unresponsive upon startup every single time.

    BTW, Windows Task Manager shows CPU useage to be normal, not overly
    high.

    All suggestions for restoring my taskbar to normal will be greatly
    appreciated.
    StartUp, Sep 9, 2006

  2. StartUp

    Guest

    Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

  3. StartUp

    StartUp Guest

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:55:01 -0700, wrote:

    > StartUp <> wrote:
    >
    >>when I restarted my computer, sometimes the
    >>taskbar would be unresponsive.
    >>
    >>If a window is opened, it does become highlighted in the taskbar, but
    >>clicking anything on the taskbar has no effect, except that the
    >>taskbar seems to know that it has been "selected" (that open window
    >>that had been highlighted becomes un-highlighted until clicked-on
    >>again).

    >Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

    WOW! Seems to have worked! Thank you *very* much!
    StartUp, Sep 9, 2006
  4. StartUp

    Guest

    StartUp <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:55:01 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> StartUp <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>when I restarted my computer, sometimes the
    >>>taskbar would be unresponsive.
    >>>
    >>>If a window is opened, it does become highlighted in the taskbar, but
    >>>clicking anything on the taskbar has no effect, except that the
    >>>taskbar seems to know that it has been "selected" (that open window
    >>>that had been highlighted becomes un-highlighted until clicked-on
    >>>again).

    >>Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

    >WOW! Seems to have worked! Thank you *very* much!

    With nods to Kelly, be sure to check her site if you have any other
    problems http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321
    , Sep 10, 2006