Taskbar height keeps resetting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Otiose, May 8, 2007.

  1. Otiose

    Otiose Guest

    Hello,

    I'm using Windows Classic layout, and I have set my Windows taskbar
    height to be fixed at 14px (Properties->Advances->Active Title Bar-
    >Size: 14).

    This gives me a very nice and thin taskbar. The issue is everytime
    explorer.exe is loaded/reloaded, the taskbar's height increases to
    about 16px. If I unlock the taskbar, and then lock it again, it gets
    fixed back at 14px, but I don't want to do this everytime explorer.exe
    opens up again... can anyone help me out?

    I think it has something to do with button padding, or icon padding...
    something of that nature. Anyhow, the important thing is that the
    taskbar IS set at 14px, even when it increases in size, checking in
    Display Properties shows that it is still 14px. My guess is that as
    the taskbar loads, it doesn't paint the start button properly, or
    paints it at some default size. When I unlock the taskbar, windows is
    reminded of the size of the task bar and thus shifts down. Is this
    just an XP bug that can't be fixed?
    Otiose, May 8, 2007

  2. Otiose

    Guest

    Otiose <> wrote:

    Had to know so I tested it out.

    >I'm using Windows Classic layout, and I have set my Windows taskbar
    >height to be fixed at 14px (Properties->Advances->Active Title Bar-
    >>Size: 14).

    How I got there
    Properties->Appearance->Advances->Active Title Bar

    >This gives me a very nice and thin taskbar. The issue is everytime
    >explorer.exe is loaded/reloaded, the taskbar's height increases to
    >about 16px. If I unlock the taskbar, and then lock it again, it gets
    >fixed back at 14px, but I don't want to do this everytime explorer.exe
    >opens up again... can anyone help me out?

    I also run in classic mode.

    I couldn't reduce to 14 without decreasing the font size (I went to
    6). rebooted to make sure, and it works, it's awful, but it works.
    Even after opening Explorer a few times, the display stays the same.

    >I think it has something to do with

    Your end, not XP.

    And I still don't know what you locking, if it's the taskbar it
    doesn't matter on this end.

    --
    Spam
    http://www.steelcitysfinest.com/Isuzu.htm

  3. Otiose

    Otiose Guest

    Hm, well first off: Thanks for taking the time to help me out with
    this... really appreciate it.

    I know it looks awful for most displays, but when you're running at
    1024x768 on a laptop, you'll save whatever real estate you can, :)

    It's the taskbar that I've been locking and unlocking. The task bar
    just first displays slightly larger than it should, and relocking it
    solves this issue. I had to reduce the font size to 7 on my end, not
    6. I'm wondering if that's the issue, because you said you've done it
    for size 6. My guess is there's some padding around the text, or maybe
    one of my system tray icons, something silly like that...

    I'm going to try it out with a size 6, and let you know...

    ....and I just tried it, that doesn't seem to solve the problem. I
    wonder if it's the sys-tray box, the clock, or quick
    launch...something that just wants to have a larger height...

    Otiose, May 9, 2007
  4. Otiose

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 09:26:56 -0700, Otiose wrote:

    > I know it looks awful for most displays, but when you're running at
    > 1024x768 on a laptop, you'll save whatever real estate you can,

    So to save yourself time wasted fucking about with the font/taskbar size
    why not just autohide the taskbar? Then it's only there when you want it
    to be there.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, May 9, 2007
  5. Aardvark wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 May 2007 09:26:56 -0700, Otiose wrote:
    >
    >> I know it looks awful for most displays, but when you're running at
    >> 1024x768 on a laptop, you'll save whatever real estate you can,

    > So to save yourself time wasted fucking about with the font/taskbar
    > size why not just autohide the taskbar? Then it's only there when you
    > want it to be there.

    <smacks forehead> "Boiiing! Why didn't I think of that?"

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 9, 2007
  6. Otiose

    Otiose Guest

    Ugh, no I hate any kind of auto-hiding menu. I've stripped all
    unnecessary animations from my XP, menu fades, and whatnot...it's bare-
    bones in its UI, clean, crisp, and clear. The 7pt font is nice and
    sharp, doesn't look bad at all on my laptop. My only grievance is this
    taskbar, because I demand perfection from my machine. I prefer having
    14px taken up by my taskbar, instead of something flickering at the
    bottom if I move my mouse towards the bottom.

    I've done a few reg hacks, and here's what I came up with: Disabling
    the sys-tray doesn't fix the problem. Disabling the start button
    doesn't fix it. Disabling both, and having a completely clean and
    empty task bar at the beginning doesn't do it either. I think
    somewhere in my registry, or somewhere there exists this little
    default for the taskbar to be 18px (I made a mistake, it doesn't
    resize to 16px, but to 18px. That explains why when I resize the font-
    size of the Active Title Bar, it resets to 18px immediately. It
    doesn't stay at 14px...somewhere this default of 18px is haunting my
    soul.

    Otiose, May 9, 2007
  7. Otiose

    Otiose Guest

    And yes, this battle is very much worth the 4px to me. It's a matter
    of principle.

    Otiose, May 9, 2007
  8. Otiose

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 16:58:17 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 May 2007 09:26:56 -0700, Otiose wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know it looks awful for most displays, but when you're running at
    >>> 1024x768 on a laptop, you'll save whatever real estate you can,

    >> So to save yourself time wasted fucking about with the font/taskbar
    >> size why not just autohide the taskbar? Then it's only there when you
    >> want it to be there.

    > <smacks forehead> "Boiiing! Why didn't I think of that?"

    Kuz u aint a jeanius lyk wat i iz :)

    Aardvark, May 9, 2007
  9. Otiose

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 10:51:30 -0700, Otiose wrote:

    > I prefer having
    > 14px taken up by my taskbar, instead of something flickering at the
    > bottom if I move my mouse towards the bottom.

    It doesn't flicker. When your mouse pointer touches the bottom of the
    screen the taskbar pops up- just like a drop-down menu (in reverse :)).
    Then it drops down when you've used it, leaving nothing but a clean,
    clear desktop.

    I always use autohide on all my OS's because all windows can then use the
    whole of the screen.

    Try it. If you don't like it just switch it off. It only takes a couple
    of seconds.

    Aardvark, May 9, 2007
  10. Otiose

    Otiose Guest

    On May 9, 11:49 am, Aardvark <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 May 2007 10:51:30 -0700, Otiose wrote:
    > > I prefer having
    > > 14px taken up by my taskbar, instead of something flickering at the
    > > bottom if I move my mouse towards the bottom.

    > It doesn't flicker. When your mouse pointer touches the bottom of the
    > screen the taskbar pops up- just like a drop-down menu (in reverse :)).
    > Then it drops down when you've used it, leaving nothing but a clean,
    > clear desktop.
    >
    > I always use autohide on all my OS's because all windows can then use the
    > whole of the screen.
    >
    > Try it. If you don't like it just switch it off. It only takes a couple
    > of seconds.
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User 413057.
    > Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    > You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

    I've tried it, believe me, I cringe. I haven't used auto-hide since
    win95
    Otiose, May 9, 2007
  11. Otiose wrote:

    > because I demand perfection from my machine.

    And you're using Windows? <lol!>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 9, 2007
  12. Otiose

    Otiose Guest

    On May 9, 3:14 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > Otiose wrote:
    > > because I demand perfection from my machine.

    > And you're using Windows? <lol!>
    >
    > --
    > -bts

    I was waiting for someone to make a comment like that, :p

    I've considered Linux for a while now, but as a developer I need
    Windows...and I would cut off my left arm before I bought a Mac. I use
    one at work, and it gives me enough headaches...my personal machine
    has to be my sanctuary from the horrid world...and I've configured
    things down so that things are pretty locked down...I haven't had any
    bugs in such a long time, and spyware's never been an issue for me.
    The only one problem is this damn taskbar height! I still haven't
    figured it out...

    I've seen some registry hacks where you can hide the system tray,
    disable resizing the taskbar, things like that. Is there one for the
    taskbar height?

    TaskbarHeight maybe?

    Here's the question every man must face at some point in their lives:
    Is 4pixels worth switching to Linux? There's got to be a way to fix
    this...
    Otiose, May 9, 2007
  13. Otiose wrote:

    > On May 9, 3:14 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Otiose wrote:
    >>> because I demand perfection from my machine.

    >> And you're using Windows? <lol!>
    >>
    >> -- [sig snipped]

    > I was waiting for someone to make a comment like that, :p

    It was my turn in the barrel.

    > I've considered Linux for a while now, but as a developer I need
    > Windows...

    There is that. I have to keep a Windows box for Visual FoxPro work.

    <snip>

    > Here's the question every man must face at some point in their lives:
    > Is 4pixels worth switching to Linux?

    Oh, absolutely! I switched for *2* pixels!

    > There's got to be a way to fix this...

    Buy a larger monitor.

    --
    -bts
    -I can name that operating system in one note
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 10, 2007
  14. Otiose

    Guest

    Otiose <> wrote:

    >I've considered Linux for a while now, but as a developer I need
    >Windows...and I would cut off my left arm before I bought a Mac.

    You must of started using a multitasking OS with Windows95.

    I started with the AmigA, when Beamers were using MSDOS 5.0, Mac's
    next on my list.

    Sad note: the AmigA is being reintroduced later this month, they
    should just let it die, hell even DELL owned it once.

    >I've seen some registry hacks where you can hide the system tray,
    >disable resizing the taskbar, things like that. Is there one for the
    >taskbar height?
    >
    >TaskbarHeight maybe?
    >
    >Here's the question every man must face at some point in their lives:
    >Is 4pixels worth switching to Linux? There's got to be a way to fix
    >this...

    Since your a developer, you might find your problem with Process
    Monitor - the change over (font size) will be listed, you just need to
    find it. (use the filters!)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx
    Shorter http://tinyurl.com/yg9wqs
    --