    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
    elaich, Nov 20, 2007

  2. elaich

    why? Guest

    On 20 Nov 2007 15:22:49 GMT, elaich wrote:

    >No help in the almost dead windows-2000 group, so I'll try here.

    That's a very unspecific group name as MS on thier own have 68
    microsoft.public.win2000.* (68)
    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33554433,33606583,33606727&usenet_st=6

    >I had Task Scheduler runnng just fine, and was doing a virus scan in the
    >wee hours of the morning. Suddenly, I noticed I wasn't getting my morning
    >report any more. I took a look in Services, and saw that Task Scheduler was
    >set to Automatic, but not running.
    >
    >On trying to start it manually, I get this message box:
    >
    >"Could not start the Task Scheduler on Local Computer. Error 87: the
    >parameter is incorrect."
    >
    >I used the repair function, with no results. What gives here?

    Paste

    Task Scheduler on Local Computer. Error 87

    into the search box at

    www.google.com

    the rest you can wing it from there.

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,600,000 English pages for
    Task Scheduler on Local Computer
    .. Error 87. (0.32 seconds)

    If you select the group search from the 1st page of results

    Groups View all web results ยป Results 1 - 10 of 11 for
    Task Scheduler on Local Computer . Error +87

    Then you can read the posts and see if any if the situations described
    apply to you.

    Me
    why?, Nov 20, 2007

  3. elaich

    chuckcar Guest

    elaich <|@|.|> wrote in news::

    > No help in the almost dead windows-2000 group, so I'll try here.
    >
    > I had Task Scheduler runnng just fine, and was doing a virus scan in
    > the wee hours of the morning. Suddenly, I noticed I wasn't getting my
    > morning report any more. I took a look in Services, and saw that Task
    > Scheduler was set to Automatic, but not running.
    >
    > On trying to start it manually, I get this message box:
    >
    > "Could not start the Task Scheduler on Local Computer. Error 87: the
    > parameter is incorrect."
    >
    > I used the repair function, with no results. What gives here?

    And the command line for it is? Most likely that's the source of your
    problem.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 20, 2007
  4. elaich

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:50:46 -0500, chuckcar wrote:

    >elaich <|@|.|> wrote in news::
    >
    >> No help in the almost dead windows-2000 group, so I'll try here.
    >>
    >> I had Task Scheduler runnng just fine, and was doing a virus scan in
    >> the wee hours of the morning. Suddenly, I noticed I wasn't getting my
    >> morning report any more. I took a look in Services, and saw that Task
    >> Scheduler was set to Automatic, but not running.
    >>
    >> On trying to start it manually, I get this message box:
    >>
    >> "Could not start the Task Scheduler on Local Computer. Error 87: the
    >> parameter is incorrect."
    >>
    >> I used the repair function, with no results. What gives here?
    >>

    >And the command line for it is? Most likely that's the source of your
    >problem.

    It's always helpful when the OP leaves out,
    Start / Programs / Control Panel / Scheduled Tasks
    Start / Programs / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services -
    Task Scheduler
    If it was AT at the cmd prompt

    Wouldn't want to assume which repair function it was.

    Maybe it's not a Win 2000 problem and it's the Task Scheduler for
    something else?

    Perhaps nothing from the event log, checking dependencies, mentioning
    any patches or software installs are all okay to leave for a later post.

    <grin>

    Me
    why?, Nov 20, 2007
  5. elaich

    elaich Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > Task Scheduler on Local Computer. Error 87
    >
    > into the search box at
    >
    > www.google.com

    First thing I did. I must have been too specific in my search terms, as I
    got no hits at all.

    > Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,600,000 English pages for
    > Task Scheduler on Local Computer
    > . Error 87. (0.32 seconds)

    Actually, about 4 of all those really address my problem. I think I found
    it, though. One post said port 135 must be listening for Task Scheduler
    to start. I remember using some utility to close those ports in the 135 -
    139 range, but danged if I can remember what it was, and I can't find it
    on my disk now, meaning that I must have deleted it in one of those
    housecleaning rampages. I ran netstat, and there is no port 135
    listening.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
    elaich, Nov 21, 2007
  6. elaich

    why? Guest

    On 21 Nov 2007 04:22:56 GMT, elaich wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >
    >> Task Scheduler on Local Computer. Error 87
    >>
    >> into the search box at
    >>
    >> www.google.com
    >>

    >First thing I did. I must have been too specific in my search terms, as I
    >got no hits at all.
    >

    >> Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,600,000 English pages for
    >> Task Scheduler on Local Computer
    >> . Error 87. (0.32 seconds)

    <snip>

    >Actually, about 4 of all those really address my problem. I think I found

    Good.

    >it, though. One post said port 135 must be listening for Task Scheduler
    >to start. I remember using some utility to close those ports in the 135 -

    Found this from www.google.com
    http://www.supershareware.com/info/emsa-port-blocker.html

    so then maybe not
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813878

    or

    TCP/IP / Properties / Advanced / Options / TCP/IP filtering /
    Properties , although it's a bit basic.

    >139 range, but danged if I can remember what it was, and I can't find it
    >on my disk now, meaning that I must have deleted it in one of those
    >housecleaning rampages. I ran netstat, and there is no port 135
    >listening.

    You do generally want to block 137udp/tcp 138udp 139tcp for Windows 2000
    along with 445tcp/udp usually entering / leaving the PC not running
    internally :) Mind you I have my FW set to only allow some of that
    between specific IP's anyway.

    Me
    why?, Nov 21, 2007