    task manager icons show up at the bottom of the screen as well as some
    saying CPU usage, all of which I cannot close or get rid off without
    restarting the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

    Andy Petro, Apr 2, 2007

  2. Andy Petro

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message
    news:46102fd1$0$16370$...
    > Whenever have a Non-Responding program I try to close it using the Task
    > Manager which I have to select many times.What happens then is multiple
    > task manager icons show up at the bottom of the screen as well as some
    > saying CPU usage, all of which I cannot close or get rid off without
    > restarting the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

    Only start the Task Manager once then WAIT for it. When you have a
    non-responding program, EVERYTHING is slowed down. The more you try to get
    something to happen, the longer ANYTHING will take.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 2, 2007

  3. Andy Petro

    Bullseye Guest

    On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:12:15 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:

    > Whenever have a Non-Responding program I try to close it using the Task
    > Manager which I have to select many times.What happens then is multiple
    > task manager icons show up at the bottom of the screen as well as some
    > saying CPU usage, all of which I cannot close or get rid off without
    > restarting the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

    Sounds like you may have some kind of virus or other malware on your
    system. There are some nasties out there that try to keep you from opening
    Task Manager so you won't see their process running. They also don't want
    to be shut down via Task Manager. They also many times disable Folder
    Options (so you can't see hidden files) and Regedit (so you can't see
    startup files or delete the malware from the registry).

    Also, the high CPU usage is many times indicative of malware. I clean
    computers all the time, and I've seen this as a common factor - seems to
    always be high (most of the time 100%) CPU usage. If you have antivirus &
    antispyware tools, run some scans and see what you come up with. Also,
    programs like AVG Antispyware, Winpatrol, and System Safety Monitor will
    allow you to see running process and shut them down if need be.
    Non-responsive programs is also a red flag. Generally it's because all
    your resources are being comsumed by the malware programs.

    Bullseye, Apr 2, 2007