    what do I remove
    Is there any source of information to understand what is going on
    Thanks for any contributions

    belto, Apr 15, 2005

  2. belto

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:47:49 GMT, belto wrote:

    >My system has gradually got slower until now it is nearly stopped.
    >I anm not sure if I have contracted a virus or adware scans yesterday
    >revealed little problems.
    >The Task manager has approx 70 processes running and using lots of memory.

    This will be for some version of Windows?

    (A fairly clean and controlled Win 2000 Pro system here has 57
    processes.)

    www.sysinternals.com have a utility called pslist (from the PSTools
    link) which will dump a list of processes you can copy/past into a post.
    The 1st column is the process name.

    To show the process tree

    pslist -t

    See also the GUI Process Explorer and AutoRuns shows what runs at
    startup.

    >What are they how did-do they start, are they necessary, can I remove them ,
    >what do I remove

    What are what? You didn't specify any process names.

    Some start when Windows starts (oddly enough) others when apps run,
    others when you login..

    >Is there any source of information to understand what is going on

    www.google.com
    www.microsoft.com . see the Technet and MSDN developers info.

    HijackThis also shows startup and lots of other information.
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

    >Thanks for any contributions

    Me

    why?, Apr 15, 2005

  3. belto

    Dave Lear Guest

    "belto" wrote in message

    > My system has gradually got slower until now it is nearly stopped.
    > I anm not sure if I have contracted a virus or adware scans yesterday
    > revealed little problems.
    > The Task manager has approx 70 processes running and using lots
    > of memory. What are they how did-do they start, are they necessary,
    > can I remove them, what do I remove
    > Is there any source of information to understand what is going on

    What are the processes? If you're running Windows XP try this...

    Start

    Run

    TASKLIST > C:\TASKS.TXT

    That will create a TASKS.TXT file on the root of your C: drive which you can
    open in Notepad. Copy the text from that file and paste it into a news post
    so we can see what's actually running and advise you what they are.

    Dave Lear, Apr 15, 2005
  4. belto

    belto Guest

    Thankyou both for the reply

    listed some of the larger processes. trying to end them throws up an error
    message
    Is this the reason for a slow PC taking all of the operating memory.
    If this is just standard usage would it be better to increase the total
    memory

    winword.exe........10,856k
    wfxmod32.exe......10568k
    wfxctl32.exe..........15024k
    ccapp.exe..............51848k
    explorer.................25444k
    sychost...................27748k

    I am using Norton I.S 2005

    belto, Apr 15, 2005
  5. belto

    Dave Lear Guest

    "belto" wrote in message

    > listed some of the larger processes. trying to end them throws up an
    > error message

    And the full and exact error message is...?

    > Is this the reason for a slow PC taking all of the operating memory.
    > If this is just standard usage would it be better to increase the total
    > memory
    >
    > winword.exe........10,856k

    Microsoft Word

    > wfxmod32.exe......10568k
    > wfxctl32.exe..........15024k

    WinFax Pro modem support and control panel

    > ccapp.exe..............51848k

    Required for the Norton AV auto-protect and email scanning.

    > explorer.................25444k

    Windows Explorer (has to be running - it's the GUI shell)

    > sychost...................27748k

    Not good, that's an indication of being infected by Leox.B
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.leox.b.html

    You need to clear that off your system first.

    Any other processes you're not sure of try this
    http://www.processlibrary.com/

    Dave Lear, Apr 15, 2005
  6. belto

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:15:57 +0100, Dave Lear wrote:

    >"belto" wrote in message
    >
    >> listed some of the larger processes. trying to end them throws up an
    >> error message

    >And the full and exact error message is...?

    <big snip>

    >Any other processes you're not sure of try this
    >http://www.processlibrary.com/

    Interesting site.

    Thanks

    Me

    why?, Apr 15, 2005
  7. belto

    belto Guest

    I misread the process it is svchost.exe not Sychost.exe
    is this relavent .
    Tried to remove as per securityresponse but cannot due to system shut and
    restart due to RPC
    svchost.exe reappeared after deletion also.
    Very frustrating

    belto, Apr 15, 2005
  8. belto

    Dave Lear Guest

    "belto" wrote in message

    > I misread the process it is svchost.exe not Sychost.exe
    > is this relavent .

    *Extremely* relevant.

    That's why I suggested you copy / paste the process list as that rules out
    the possibility of a typo when manually transcribing things. If you want to
    find out what SVCHOST is, as opposed to SYCHOST, have a look at this
    Microsoft TechNet article...

    A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

    > Tried to remove as per securityresponse but cannot due to system shut
    > and restart due to RPC

    If the process isn't SYCHOST then the Symantec advice for removing LEOX.B
    isn't relevant, i.e. because of your typo you're trying to fix a different
    problem to the one you actually have. Ending SVCHOST is pretty much
    guaranteed to cause issues.

    > svchost.exe reappeared after deletion also.

    It's supposed to be there as it's part of the base Operating System. If you
    want to find out what particular instances of SVCHOST actually contain try
    the following

    Start

    Run

    CMD

    At the command prompt type

    TASKLIST /SVC

    This will enumerate the process list, but also enumerate the sub-processes
    within each instance of the SVCHOST process(es). Copy the list you get and
    paste it into a reply here so we can find out what is actually running. Do
    not try and type them out longhand again.

    Dave Lear, Apr 15, 2005
  9. belto

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:51:30 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
    I have stood on the shoulder of giants "belto"
    <> wrote :

    >I misread the process it is svchost.exe not Sychost.exe
    >is this relavent .
    >Tried to remove as per securityresponse but cannot due to system shut and
    >restart due to RPC
    >svchost.exe reappeared after deletion also.
    >Very frustrating

    http://help.lockergnome.com/lofiversion/index.php/t19118.html

    HTH :)

    --