    taskbar, drag it to 6 rows and relock. Works great, but next time I reboot,
    back to 1 row.

    Anyone know how to get it to stay at 6 rows?

    John Barnes, Jun 5, 2005

  2. I have a question to ask John. You are just testing for kinks in x64 right?
    Because how functional could Windows ever be if you had a taskbar that high?
    Imagine using Microsoft Word. :-s
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 5, 2005

  3. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Ever heard of auto-hide the task bar. I use 21 IE windows to start and add
    OE and other programs for stock trading on top of that and I need 6 rows.

    Maybe someone serious can reply.

    John Barnes, Jun 5, 2005
  4. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Also, with tabbed browsing in Netscape I would not need so many, but so far
    IE doesn't have and Netscape 8 has problems.

    John Barnes, Jun 5, 2005
  5. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    IE 7 beta this summer will have tabs...

    M. Murcek, Jun 5, 2005
  6. John Barnes

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Try Firefox. It does tabs, and, I've not had any serious problems with it.
    Once it a while it won't render a page, but nothing major to make me stop
    using it.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 5, 2005
  7. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks, but I am used to IE. Know exactly where everything I want is.
    Just want x64 to leave the task bar at 6 rows so I don't have to redo it
    everytime I log on. XP32 could handle it just fine.

    John Barnes, Jun 5, 2005
  8. John Barnes <> wrote:
    > Also, with tabbed browsing in Netscape I would not need so many, but
    > so far IE doesn't have and Netscape 8 has problems.

    Hi John,

    Can't reproduce your problem here.
    If you want to keep IE, maybe should you try Maxthon. I love the tabs and
    it's working great on x64.
    As one cannot really use IE64 so far (lack of support), I think I can wait
    for IE7.

    Cheers
    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 5, 2005
  9. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    You are saying that your system keeps the 6 row taskbar after restarting?

    John Barnes, Jun 5, 2005
  10. John Barnes <> wrote:
    > You are saying that your system keeps the 6 row taskbar after
    > restarting?

    Yes, that's what I said...

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 5, 2005
  11. I thought it was an interesting question myself.

    Probably ignorance, but I also wondered why anyone would want a task bar so
    high.

    Now I know! ;-)

    gmcallis

    =?Utf-8?B?Z21jYWxsaXM=?=, Jun 5, 2005
  12. John Barnes

    kevin Guest

    John:

    Have you tried the 64-bit version of TweakUI? It allows you to group your
    open windows by program. Thus, you could use that app to group your 21 open
    instances of IE down to one button on your taskbar. Click on the button and
    it shows you all 21 open instances as a group, allowing you to click on any
    one to open that window. I write for a living, and often have numerous
    instances of MS Word open as I go back and forth between notes, drafts, old
    stories, new stories, related info and so on. TweakUI's groupby function is
    a lot easier, for me, than a taskbar that stacks six rows high (WOW!). And
    it would seem to be ideal for you, even with "OE and other programs for
    stock trading" open. You could probably cut your taskbar height to one or
    two rows tall -- and still use the autohide function if you like. That way,
    when you do recall the taskbar, you don't lose too much screen space.

    If you're interested, do a search on this list to find the download link (I
    think it was at planetamd.com, but I am not certain). That won't, of course,
    solve your collapsing/disappearing taskbar issue, but it will help you for
    now.

    And, though I neither can nor want to speak for Andre, I do think most
    everyone on this newsgroup has "heard of auto-hide." Hope that sentence and
    all that preceded it in this reply were "serious" enough for you.

    Kevin

    kevin, Jun 5, 2005
  13. I have heard of "auto-hide", but a taskbar that high has got to be ugly.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2005
  14. Justa suggestion, but wouldn't you be better to have one session of word open
    with several documents? Each can be accessed via the Window command on the
    tool bar.

    Don't get me wrong, each and every person has their own way of performing
    the same task. What's good for one isn't necessarily better for another, but
    it has to be better on memory.

    Cheers

    gmcallis

    =?Utf-8?B?Z21jYWxsaXM=?=, Jun 6, 2005
  15. John Barnes

    kevin Guest

    g:

    though we seem to be sliding away from an x64 discussion, i'm curious. so...

    i think we may be talking about doing the same thing, but with different
    words (so to speak). when i open various documents in word, the way i do it
    is to open the program, then open documents within the program using the
    "open file" commands. as each doc opens, it adds a button to the taskbar,
    or, with tweakui, a line to word's taskbar button. that seems, to me, to be
    just one session of word open with multiple documents, as you've described.

    i'm certainly willing to try your route, if it is a different method and
    saves memory load. if so, would you mind explaining how it differs from what
    i've described above?

    thanks,

    kevin

    kevin, Jun 6, 2005
  16. Humble apology. It appears I misinterpreted what you said.

    Cheers

    gmcallis

    =?Utf-8?B?Z21jYWxsaXM=?=, Jun 6, 2005
  17. John Barnes

    kevin Guest

    no apologies needed. i'm always interested in learning a new trick to make
    my system perform better. hell, i'm always interested in learning a new
    trick that makes my life easier. that said, i just wanted to doublecheck and
    see if you did know a different approach, and that's why i replied to your
    initial post.

    thanks,

    kevin, Jun 6, 2005
  18. I think the grouping functionality in Windows XP should solve the need to
    have a taskbar that high.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2005
  19. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    1. Grouping doesn't change anything
    2. It only takes up 2" on a 12" screen and is only up for maybe 2 seconds
    while I select windows not visible on the screen, maybe twice an hour
    2a Ugly is having full screen windows or a fixed taskbar of any size (just
    my personal opinion)
    3. Apparently there is no setting I can change to get this toolbar saved on
    my x64 system like I can on x86
    4. Since the stock and commodity trading programs won't install on x64
    anyway it is irrelevant, except just another reason NOT to use x64 except as
    a hobby.

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2005