task bar icon?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sammy, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. sammy

    sammy Guest

    hi,

    running XP home, 2nd edtion.

    a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task bar) -
    the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like Spy Sweeper
    and EZ Firewall.

    anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
    center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
    small and my eyes are not the best.

    when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
    ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."

    the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates will
    be loaded for what program.

    when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2 options,
    "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result if you give
    it a left click.

    when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
    window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."

    can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
    microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the past.
    i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what the heck
    they are or what they do.

    am i being paranoid?

    thanks,

    sammy

    sammy, Apr 12, 2007

  2. sammy

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > running XP home, 2nd edtion.
    >
    > a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task bar) -

    No, that is the System Tray. The taskbar is the space between the Start
    button and the System Tray.

    > anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
    > center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
    > small and my eyes are not the best.
    >
    > when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
    > ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
    >
    > the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates
    > will be loaded for what program.
    >
    > when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2 options,
    > "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result if you
    > give it a left click.
    >
    > when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
    > window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
    >
    > can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
    > microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the
    > past. i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what
    > the heck they are or what they do.

    Can you say "Microsoft Windows Automatic Updates? There is little that has
    been "questionable" from MS in the past. There have been some seriously
    flawed updates though <g>!

    You don't get the same thing by clicking Express or Custom. Express just
    does it. Custom lets you see what is there, and lets you choose. So you do
    Custom, and read them. If there's something there that frightens you, don't
    do it.

    For example, at work, I don't want our accounting department to install IE7,
    since our 2005 Quickbooks has (or had - it may be fixed by now)
    compatibility issues with IE7. So, a Custom update gives me the option to
    NOT install IE7, and even allows me to tell the system not to offer that
    update again.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 12, 2007

  3. sammy

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:05:52 -0400, sammy wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > running XP home, 2nd edtion.
    >
    > a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task bar) -
    > the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like Spy Sweeper
    > and EZ Firewall.
    >
    > anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
    > center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
    > small and my eyes are not the best.
    >
    > when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
    > ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
    >
    > the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates will
    > be loaded for what program.
    >
    > when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2 options,
    > "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result if you give
    > it a left click.
    >
    > when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
    > window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
    >
    > can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
    > microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the past.
    > i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what the heck
    > they are or what they do.
    >
    > am i being paranoid?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > sammy

    It's Windows Auto Updates. You can shut it off.
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 12, 2007
  4. sammy

    sammy Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:05:52 -0400, sammy wrote:
    >

    > It's Windows Auto Updates. You can shut it off.
    > --
    > #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    > #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    > #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    > #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    > COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow,

    how do i shut it off?

    thanks,

    sammy

    sammy, Apr 12, 2007
  5. sammy

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:05:52 -0400, sammy wrote:
    >>

    >> It's Windows Auto Updates. You can shut it off.
    >> --
    >> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    >> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    >> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    >> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    >> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
    >> COOSN-266-06-25794
    >>

    > Meat Plow,
    >
    > how do i shut it off?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > sammy

    You WANT to leave your PC unprotected from exploits that MS is trying to
    FIX? What a maroon. Unplug that PC from the Internet - the rest of the world
    doesn't want the crap your system is soon going to be spreading around.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 12, 2007
  6. "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > running XP home, 2nd edtion.
    >
    > a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task bar) -
    > the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like Spy
    > Sweeper and EZ Firewall.
    >
    > anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
    > center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
    > small and my eyes are not the best.
    >
    > when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
    > ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
    >
    > the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates
    > will be loaded for what program.
    >
    > when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2 options,
    > "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result if you
    > give it a left click.
    >
    > when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
    > window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
    >
    > can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
    > microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the
    > past. i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what
    > the heck they are or what they do.
    >
    > am i being paranoid?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > sammy

    Good you noticed that-- it's placed there by the tooth fairy.

    If you click on it and install the updates, your computer will be connected
    to the fairy.net and try to have sex with other male computers.

    J. H. Holliday, Apr 12, 2007
  7. sammy

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "J. H. Holliday" <doc@ok> wrote in message
    > "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> running XP home, 2nd edtion.
    >>
    >> a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task
    >> bar) - the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like
    >> Spy Sweeper and EZ Firewall.
    >>
    >> anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
    >> center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
    >> small and my eyes are not the best.
    >>
    >> when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
    >> ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
    >>
    >> the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates
    >> will be loaded for what program.
    >>
    >> when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2
    >> options, "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result
    >> if you give it a left click.
    >>
    >> when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
    >> window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
    >>
    >> can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
    >> microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the
    >> past. i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what
    >> the heck they are or what they do.
    >>
    >> am i being paranoid?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>
    >> sammy

    > Good you noticed that-- it's placed there by the tooth fairy.
    >
    > If you click on it and install the updates, your computer will be
    > connected to the fairy.net and try to have sex with other male computers.

    And what makes you think the tooth fairy is gay?

    WhzzKdd, Apr 12, 2007
  8. "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    > "J. H. Holliday" <doc@ok> wrote in message
    >> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    >>> hi,
    >>>
    >>> running XP home, 2nd edtion.
    >>>
    >>> a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task
    >>> bar) - the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like
    >>> Spy Sweeper and EZ Firewall.
    >>>
    >>> anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
    >>> center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
    >>> small and my eyes are not the best.
    >>>
    >>> when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
    >>> ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
    >>>
    >>> the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates
    >>> will be loaded for what program.
    >>>
    >>> when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2
    >>> options, "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result
    >>> if you give it a left click.
    >>>
    >>> when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
    >>> window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
    >>>
    >>> can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
    >>> microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the
    >>> past. i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing
    >>> what the heck they are or what they do.
    >>>
    >>> am i being paranoid?
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>>
    >>> sammy

    >> Good you noticed that-- it's placed there by the tooth fairy.
    >>
    >> If you click on it and install the updates, your computer will be
    >> connected to the fairy.net and try to have sex with other male computers.
    >>

    > And what makes you think the tooth fairy is gay?

    Did you happen to notice his last name?

    J. H. Holliday, Apr 12, 2007
  9. sammy

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "J. H. Holliday" <doc@ok> wrote in message
    >>> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message

    >>> Good you noticed that-- it's placed there by the tooth fairy.
    >>>
    >>> If you click on it and install the updates, your computer will be
    >>> connected to the fairy.net and try to have sex with other male
    >>> computers.
    >>>

    >> And what makes you think the tooth fairy is gay?
    >>

    > Did you happen to notice his last name?

    Heh heh!

    True story. About 15 years ago I needed a dentist. I saw an office across
    the street, and walked in to make an appointment. No problem. I should up on
    October 31st for my appointment, to be greeted by an entire staff in tutus.
    Even the 6' plus tall male dentist, who's name tag read "Tooth Fairy". Had I
    not been in excruciating pain, I just might have turned around a walked out
    <g>

    WhzzKdd, Apr 13, 2007
  10. sammy

    sammy Guest

    >> Meat Plow,
    >>
    >> how do i shut it off?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>
    >> sammy
    >>

    > You WANT to leave your PC unprotected from exploits that MS is trying to
    > FIX? What a maroon. Unplug that PC from the Internet - the rest of the
    > world doesn't want the crap your system is soon going to be spreading
    > around.

    whzzzkdd, i'm just an old **** who doesn't know much about computers but i
    do my best to avoid receiving or spreading crap around with my system.
    (thank you by the way, for pointing out the difference between the taskbar
    and system tray).

    i have some decent shit running in that system tray and have experienced no
    problems thus far.

    i just freaked out when that icon just appeared out of nowhere (but
    obviously it came from somewhere) with so little info about what it was. i'm
    still curious as to why, after 2 years of running XP, it just appeared!?!

    anyway, i shall heed your advice and use the custom install and do some
    reading on what is being offered. everything i know about computers (which
    obviously ain't much) is self-taught/learned.

    remember, i'm old, but i'm trying to stay current computer wise

    newspapers are dying, i think, because of computers. but i still take the
    newspaper in the shitter with me. we're on fixed incomes here. if i run out
    of toilet paper, i can't wipe my ass with a wireless laptop, can i? (on
    second thought, i suppose i could but some of them have sharp corners).

    god bless bushmill's,

    sammy

    sammy, Apr 13, 2007
  11. sammy

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> Meat Plow,
    >>>
    >>> how do i shut it off?
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>>
    >>> sammy
    >>>

    >> You WANT to leave your PC unprotected from exploits that MS is trying to
    >> FIX? What a maroon. Unplug that PC from the Internet - the rest of the
    >> world doesn't want the crap your system is soon going to be spreading
    >> around.
    >>

    > whzzzkdd, i'm just an old **** who doesn't know much about computers but i
    > do my best to avoid receiving or spreading crap around with my system.
    > (thank you by the way, for pointing out the difference between the taskbar
    > and system tray).
    >
    > i have some decent shit running in that system tray and have experienced
    > no problems thus far.
    >
    > i just freaked out when that icon just appeared out of nowhere (but
    > obviously it came from somewhere) with so little info about what it was.
    > i'm still curious as to why, after 2 years of running XP, it just
    > appeared!?!

    That icon probably just appeared because Automatic Updates changed the way
    it works when Windows XP SP2 is installed. If the updates aren't installed,
    then programs in Windows are vulnerable to exploits by malicious software.
    Things like trojans and email worms that replicate themselves by attaching
    to unpatched computers, then send copies of themselves out to other people
    when the comptuter is online. So most patches that Microsoft puts out are
    important. As much as I dislike the new IE7 interface, I still installed
    that on my computers because of the increased security. (Although I won't
    put it on at work, but we have different security tools in place there.)

    WhzzKdd, Apr 13, 2007