targetted virii have some huge potential

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Feb 4, 2006

  2. thingy

    darkknight Guest

    darkknight, Feb 5, 2006

  3. thingy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:06:30 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8679
    >
    > Interesing how a targetted attack could seriously effect a[ny] stock
    > exchange....

    Well panic attacks have affected them for many years now.

    Gordon, Feb 5, 2006
  4. thingy

    Peter Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8679
    >
    > Interesing how a targetted attack could seriously effect a[ny] stock
    > exchange....

    This does not appear to be a 'windows' type virus, but more like a
    successful attack on the 'user' account of one machine. Being a test
    machine, it probably had tivial password on a 'test' account. User access
    may be sufficient to use the attacked machine to spew out emails.

    what it does probably show is other machines were pretty 'secure' as they
    were not hacked.

    Peter, Feb 5, 2006
  5. thingy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:06:30 +1300, in message
     <>, thingy wrote:

    > http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8679
    >
    > Interesing how a targetted attack could seriously effect a[ny] stock
    > exchange....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I've always wondered which language the word "virii" is from,
    as it is neither the Latin plural nor the English plural.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."

    Ralph Fox, Feb 6, 2006
  6. thingy

    Jerry Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:06:30 +1300, in message
    > <>, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8679
    >>
    >>Interesing how a targetted attack could seriously effect a[ny] stock
    >>exchange....
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > I've always wondered which language the word "virii" is from,
    > as it is neither the Latin plural nor the English plural.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus
    You are correct, it is a non real word

    Jerry, Feb 7, 2006