    www.sf49ers.com
    www.KGO810am.com
    www.nfl.com
    the niner nation, Nov 29, 2003

  2. the niner nation

    Juan Pérez Guest

    <http://www.gnu.org/directory/tar.html>

    the niner nation <removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:bq8ol9$peh$...

    > Can anyone tell me what the file extension " .tar" means??
    > also, how do I burn a sequence of .tar files using nero on to cd/

    dvd??

    Juan Pérez, Nov 29, 2003

  3. the niner nation

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 29, 2003
  4. the niner nation wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me what the file extension " .tar" means??
    > also, how do I burn a sequence of .tar files using nero on to cd/ dvd??
    >
    > thanks in advance...

    ..tar is a compressed archive of one or more files. It is used primarily in
    the Linux operating system to package programs. What is in the files, do
    you know?

    So far as burning them to CD or DVD, do the same thing you'd do for any data
    file.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 29, 2003
  5. the niner nation

    Gimme Guest

    The Niner Nation The *.TAR suffix is the linux form of archive o
    compressed extension much like zip is for window or cab is fo
    Microsoft

    -
    Reality

    Posted via MooTal
    http://mootalk.com
    Gimme, Nov 29, 2003
  6. the niner nation

    d w a c o n Guest

    "the niner nation" <removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:bq8ol9$peh$...

    > Can anyone tell me what the file extension " .tar" means??
    > also, how do I burn a sequence of .tar files using nero on to cd/ dvd??

    I believe WinRar (rarsoft.com) can work with .tar files. Burn them to
    CD/DVD just like any other file (may be helpful to decompress before archive
    if you want to use them without extracting).

    --

    I shave with Occam's Razor
    http://www.dwacon.com
    d w a c o n, Nov 29, 2003
  7. the niner nation

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:57:49 GMT, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    >the niner nation wrote:
    >

    >> Can anyone tell me what the file extension " .tar" means??
    >> also, how do I burn a sequence of .tar files using nero on to cd/ dvd??
    >>
    >> thanks in advance...

    >.tar is a compressed archive of one or more files. It is used primarily in

    Plain .tar is simply an archive not usually compressed unless the
    extension is .tar.gz (gzipped) / tar.Z (compressed) even sometimes .tgz
    or .bz2

    >the Linux operating system to package programs. What is in the files, do

    UNIX please, it's older than the Linux/GNU distros.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 29, 2003
  8. the niner nation

    philo Guest

    "the niner nation" <removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:bq8ol9$peh$...

    > Can anyone tell me what the file extension " .tar" means??
    > also, how do I burn a sequence of .tar files using nero on to cd/ dvd??
    >
    > thanks in advance...

    IIRC the newer version of winzip may be able to handle .tar

    from the linux command prompt they may be "untarred" with the command:

    tar -xvf filename.tar
    philo, Nov 29, 2003
  9. the niner nation

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 08:11:58 -0600, philo wrote:

    >"the niner nation" <removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk>
    >wrote in message news:bq8ol9$peh$...
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me what the file extension " .tar" means??
    >> also, how do I burn a sequence of .tar files using nero on to cd/ dvd??
    >>
    >> thanks in advance...

    >IIRC the newer version of winzip may be able to handle .tar

    It's worked fine with .tar files for a while, many years.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 29, 2003
  10. the niner nation

    Zknb Guest

    I see nobody really answerd the first part of your question...

    ..tar stand for Tape ARchive.

    Back in the day archives were made on tape backups.

    Winzip can handle these files, just un-tar it and burn the expanded
    files onto your CD.

    You do relise that since this is a .tar the program is most likely for
    UNIX, LINUX, or BSD and not Windows.

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:18:51 -0000, "the niner nation"

    Zknb, Nov 29, 2003
  11. the niner nation

    Ljuteplow Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:24:48 +0000, Zknb wrote:

    > I see nobody really answerd the first part of your question...
    >
    > .tar stand for Tape ARchive.
    >
    > Back in the day archives were made on tape backups.
    >
    > Winzip can handle these files, just un-tar it and burn the expanded
    > files onto your CD.
    >
    > You do relise that since this is a .tar the program is most likely for
    > UNIX, LINUX, or BSD and not Windows.

    Most affectionately known as Tar Balls. And although I have no idea why a
    Windows user would make such a request, I suppose some of the tarballs
    could contain some text however most text is usually gzipped.

    Ljuteplow, Nov 29, 2003
  12. the niner nation

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:24:48 GMT, Zknb wrote:

    >I see nobody really answerd the first part of your question...

    Except for the first 2 posts that both gave links to pages saying what
    ..tar files were.

    >.tar stand for Tape ARchive.

    <snip>

    >On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:18:51 -0000, "the niner nation"
    ><removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Can anyone tell me what the file extension " .tar" means??
    >>also, how do I burn a sequence of .tar files using nero on to cd/ dvd??
    >>
    >>thanks in advance...

    Me
    why?, Nov 29, 2003
  13. the niner nation

    Zknb Guest

    The question was:

    Can anyone tell me what the file extension " .tar" means??

    Not.

    Can anyone give me a link to a web page that describes what the
    extension ".tar" means.

    So in reality nobody really answered the question.

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:34:47 GMT, why?

    Zknb, Nov 29, 2003
  14. the niner nation

    °Mike° Guest

    Duh! My brain hurts!!!

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:58:19 GMT, in
    <>
    Zknb scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 29, 2003
  15. the niner nation

    fkasner Guest

    It is a suffix indicating a file type used in UNIX (or LINUX or BSD,
    etc.) that is a compressed file. It requires the proper software to
    uncompress. It is most likely a file that is not necessarily readable or
    executable under Windo$.
    FK

    fkasner, Nov 29, 2003
  16. the niner nation

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:19:07 GMT, fkasner wrote:

    >It is a suffix indicating a file type used in UNIX (or LINUX or BSD,
    >etc.) that is a compressed file. It requires the proper software to

    It helps to reply to the person that asked the question.

    >uncompress. It is most likely a file that is not necessarily readable or

    Don't forget about the several archive apps that will open tar files, or
    the versions of tar ported to x86.

    Not counting any tarball that's source code, documentation or can be
    compiled for Win (a lot of apps come with makefiles etc. for 10 flavours
    of OS), Then of course you are correct it's not much use.

    >executable under Windo$.
    >FK
    >

    >Zknb wrote:
    >> The question was:
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me what the file extension " .tar" means??
    >>
    >> Not.
    >>
    >> Can anyone give me a link to a web page that describes what the
    >> extension ".tar" means.
    >>
    >> So in reality nobody really answered the question.
    >>

    >> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:34:47 GMT, why?
    >> <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >>>Except for the first 2 posts that both gave links to pages saying what
    >>>.tar files were.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 30, 2003