    What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
    camera strap?
    , Jun 16, 2005

  2. <> wrote:
    > Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
    > strap?

    I use 2" wide Nikon straps on all my cameras (none of which are Nikon), and
    sew a pocket with a Velcro flap into the inside of the ends to hold cards.

    > What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
    > camera strap?

    Velcro.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jun 16, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
    > strap?
    >
    > In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
    > cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
    > film.
    >
    > Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
    > flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?
    >
    > If I just tape the compact flash card case to the strap, it can't be
    > opened like a film cannister could be (since the tape never covered the
    > cannister top).
    >
    > What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
    > camera strap?

    No camera bag?

    I went with a 4GB card. That's good enough for a week-long vacation if
    I don't shoot in RAW mode too much.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
    > camera strap?

    It's not needed. Just stick it in your pocket. It doesn't bulge out
    your pocket like a roll of film does. And use large cards, so you
    don't have to swap as often. For a 3mp camera (1 mb/shot), a 1gb card
    is like 25 or so rolls of film.
    Paul Rubin, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Guest

    I bought a special flashcard holder from buydig.com which holds up to 7
    additional cards. It just clips on to the camera strap. It's even
    waterproof so you can shoot on a rainy day!
    , Jun 16, 2005
  6. Stewy Guest

    In article <d8r06o$oht$>,
    "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    > > Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
    > > strap?

    > I use 2" wide Nikon straps on all my cameras (none of which are Nikon), and
    > sew a pocket with a Velcro flap into the inside of the ends to hold cards.
    >
    > > What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
    > > camera strap?

    > Velcro.

    Unfortunately most media is far too small (or not robust enough) to
    attach to the strap. Most people attach small pockets to the inside of
    their camera case - Camera manufacturers take note!

    I used to have canisters attached to the strap until the day I went
    climbing only to note I'd lost a full exposed roll somewhere on the
    mountain - In future, I always put them into the rucksack out of harm's
    way.
    Stewy, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
    > strap?
    >
    > In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
    > cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
    > film.
    >
    > Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
    > flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?
    >
    > If I just tape the compact flash card case to the strap, it can't be
    > opened like a film cannister could be (since the tape never covered the
    > cannister top).
    >
    > What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
    > camera strap?

    The case that holds my digicam around my waist has pockets for memory cards and batteries.
    Marvin, Jun 16, 2005
  8. Deep Reset Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
    > strap?
    >
    > In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
    > cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
    > film.
    >
    > Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
    > flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?
    >
    > If I just tape the compact flash card case to the strap, it can't be
    > opened like a film cannister could be (since the tape never covered the
    > cannister top).
    >
    > What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
    > camera strap?

    The strap that came with my Pentax MZ-5n is now attached to my *istDS.
    It has two small pockets, secured by poppers built-in, designed, I guess to
    hold the flash-shoe cover and/or the viewfinder cover, each big enough to
    hold a couple of SD cards.

    Deep
    Deep Reset, Jun 16, 2005
  9. On 15 Jun 2005 21:38:08 -0700, wrote:

    >Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
    >strap?

    No. that sounds like a bad idea. I keep one of these in my pocket.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=332251&is=REG

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Jun 16, 2005
  10. Hannah Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
    > strap?

    Don't your trousers have pockets?

    I can get at least 4 CF cards inside their little plastic boxes in one
    trouser pocket without unsightly bulge.
    H.
    Hannah, Jun 16, 2005
  11. MadHatter Guest

    Some Tamrac straps have built in neoprene memory card holders.
    MadHatter, Jun 16, 2005
  12. Guest

    Hannah wrote:
    > Don't your trousers have pockets?
    >
    > I can get at least 4 CF cards inside their little plastic boxes in one
    > trouser pocket without unsightly bulge.

    Some of us wear skirts without pockets.
    But, we do enjoy that "unsightly bulge" in men's trousers. :)

    Personally, I rarely carry a camera bag (too much to carry).
    I just hang the camera on my neck to keep it there when I need it.

    For us, a flash card holder attached to the strap is useful.

    Plenty flash card holders DON'T attach to the strap though, so, be
    wary.
    http://www.inanycase.com/catalog/PKG.html
    http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/Product.asp?Sku=VGCFH
    http://www.tristatecamera.com/LookAtAll-4g7uwbnl-HOOHFP4-3-00710191-0-store.php.html
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=6704&GroupID=954
    http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SHDPE
    etc
    , Jun 17, 2005
  13. ASAAR Guest

    On 16 Jun 2005 16:36:52 -0700, wrote:

    >> I can get at least 4 CF cards inside their little plastic boxes in one
    >> trouser pocket without unsightly bulge.

    > Some of us wear skirts without pockets.
    > But, we do enjoy that "unsightly bulge" in men's trousers. :)

    Hannah and her sisters may prefer what produces such bulges only
    when they're battery powered.

    > Personally, I rarely carry a camera bag (too much to carry).
    > I just hang the camera on my neck to keep it there when I need it.
    >
    > For us, a flash card holder attached to the strap is useful.
    >
    > Plenty flash card holders DON'T attach to the strap though, so, be
    > wary.

    I have a nice little flash card holder that also has no means of
    attaching to a strap. But it fits in a recess in a larger case that
    also holds 4 AA batteries, convenient because that happens to be
    what my camera uses. The case is very nice, having secure latches,
    and different models come with choices of what appear to be neoprene
    inserts to allow the cases to hold different things. I'm surprised
    that there's no company name molded into the case, only a tiny
    "patent pending", but they were sold by CompUSA. Fits in my trouser
    pocket with only a slight bulge, unnoticeable to all but the most
    prying eyes. :)
    ASAAR, Jun 17, 2005
  14. wrote:
    : Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
    : strap?

    : In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
    : cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
    : film.

    : Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
    : flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?

    : If I just tape the compact flash card case to the strap, it can't be
    : opened like a film cannister could be (since the tape never covered the
    : cannister top).

    : What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
    : camera strap?

    I found some small neoprene pouches that have loops for mounting on the
    camera strap. Two problems are possible. If the cards are specially
    suseptable to flexing you may want to keep them in the plastic card cases
    inside the pouch. But I am very comfortable with 5 SD cards (in one pouch)
    on my camera neck strap. I have one pouch on one end of the strap for
    empty cards, and one on the other end of the strap for full cards. This
    makes a card swap much quicker. And I'm never grabbing a card only to find
    I have already filled that one up and have to swap again. :)

    The pouches I got are Op/tech Media Holsters (B&H # OPMHB, Op Tech #
    4701002).

    There is only one problem I have had with these holsters. The strap
    that secures the holster to the camera strap is on the same side of the
    pouch as the velcro for the flap. So when attached to the camera strap,
    the velcro closure is tucked under the pouch against the neck strap. This
    can be difficult if the neck strap is stiff or the pouch is too full as
    the velcro can hold the flap from easily slipping out from behind the
    pouch. I solved the problem by puting a couple of velcro (the wool side)
    patches on the neck strap right where the open end of these pouches sets.
    Then the velcro pad on the pouch sticks on the strap pad and secures the
    card in the pouch, as well as securing the pouch in place on the strap. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign,IL
    Randy Berbaum, Jun 17, 2005
  15. Guest

    On 15 Jun 2005 21:38:08 -0700, wrote:

    >In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
    >cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
    >film.

    Actully little yellow cans with gasketed screw tops, colored according
    to film type, were popular in the oldendays.

    >Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
    >flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?

    No.

    Dave
    East Englewood
    -------------------------------
    The proof is in the print.
    , Jun 17, 2005
  16. Hannah Guest

    I think the correct expression here would be: **** off, you twat.
    Hannah, Jun 17, 2005
  17. ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:12:46 +0100, Hannah dilated an orifice, all
    the better to loudly proclaim to all of humanity:

    >> Hannah and her sisters may prefer what produces such bulges only
    >> when they're battery powered.
    >>

    > I think the correct expression here would be: **** off, you twat.

    Testy and bitchy, all in one. Why does it seem you're not having
    fun? Interesting that you choose to use a word that represents
    both what you apparently love and loathe. But this "twat" won't
    grant you the "respect" you crave and seem to have trouble finding,
    until and unless you earn it.

    I've noticed that you have a hard time resisting the lure of GP
    and other lesser trolls. You must make a lot of impulse purchases
    too, but rising so easily to bait can get you more than you bargain
    for, as comments such as this . . .

    > Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy" (Steve
    > Giovanella).
    > Molly is their daughter.
    >
    > The rather strange creature that calls itself George Preddy has not denied
    > or refuted this fact.

    and

    > "Sarah Molly" is in fact George Preddy, who is, in turn, Steve
    > Giovanella who, in turn, hadn't the fibre to post the RFD himself for fear
    > of being laughed at within an inch of his life. I suggest that this RFD is
    > bogus.

    . . . might convince Georgie/Sarah to issue another RFD, this one
    to test the waters for the creation of alt.fan.hannah.humorless

    > I also object to the fact that I found it necessary to respond to such a
    > ridiculous troll.
    > Oh well.
    >
    > Hannah.
    > (A professional digital and film photographer (and lesbian, so he got it
    > slightly right))

    So what did you find objectionable about my mild, indirect,
    non-insulting comment that alluded to what you so previously so
    proudly proclaimed? Something that you prefer to keep from
    rustydustin, at least for the time being?

    HAND, Luv. :)
    ASAAR, Jun 18, 2005
  18. Charlie Self Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:

    > I found some small neoprene pouches that have loops for mounting on the
    > camera strap. Two problems are possible. If the cards are specially
    > suseptable to flexing you may want to keep them in the plastic card cases
    > inside the pouch. But I am very comfortable with 5 SD cards (in one pouch)
    > on my camera neck strap. I have one pouch on one end of the strap for
    > empty cards, and one on the other end of the strap for full cards. This
    > makes a card swap much quicker. And I'm never grabbing a card only to find
    > I have already filled that one up and have to swap again. :)
    >
    > The pouches I got are Op/tech Media Holsters (B&H # OPMHB, Op Tech #
    > 4701002).
    >
    > There is only one problem I have had with these holsters. The strap
    > that secures the holster to the camera strap is on the same side of the
    > pouch as the velcro for the flap. So when attached to the camera strap,
    > the velcro closure is tucked under the pouch against the neck strap. This
    > can be difficult if the neck strap is stiff or the pouch is too full as
    > the velcro can hold the flap from easily slipping out from behind the
    > pouch. I solved the problem by puting a couple of velcro (the wool side)
    > patches on the neck strap right where the open end of these pouches sets.
    > Then the velcro pad on the pouch sticks on the strap pad and secures the
    > card in the pouch, as well as securing the pouch in place on the strap. :)

    Those went on my B&H wish list. I'm not ordering a $7.50 item alone,
    though. Shipping costs as much as the pouches, which look as close to
    ideal as possible for my needs, even with a photo vest on the way. I
    need a longer lens for bird and race photography, so when the money is
    available in a week or two, I'll grab it all, I think.
    Charlie Self, Jun 18, 2005
  19. Hannah Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:12:46 +0100, Hannah dilated an orifice, all
    > the better to loudly proclaim to all of humanity:

    You show skills in finding old posts. Who cares? These are likely to be your
    only skills, apart, perhaps, from pontificating at great length and sending
    people to sleep. You, and your opinions, have as much value to me as the
    dead wasp I found in my conservatory yesterday.

    Oh, I have great fun: sniping at imbeciles like you and that idiot over on
    a.g.p, Cool Names, or something, never mind the multi-personalitied
    Giovanella and his obsessive-compulsive disease over that ridiculous Sigma
    camera thing. I have fun in knowing I'm better than you. I have fun in
    knowing that I earn one hell of a lot more than you. I have fun laughing at
    your naive assumptions about lesbians, and your bigotry. I have fun in
    knowing you will never be one tenth the person I am. I have fun.

    But the best fun of all starts very early tomorrow, when our four months of
    holiday begins, and I won't have to observe the inane mouthings and
    dribblings of the likes of you because I'll be somewhere in the Caribbean or
    the Far East with my partner.

    Don't bother replying. I'm just tidying things up now, and won't check
    Usenet out again until about mid October.

    Hannah.
    Hannah, Jun 18, 2005
  20. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:06:58 +0100, Hannah wrote:

    > You show skills in finding old posts. Who cares?

    You do, and it's a trait we appear to share. But they weren't
    very old.

    > Oh, I have great fun: sniping at imbeciles like you and that idiot over on
    > a.g.p, Cool Names, or something, never mind the multi-personalitied
    > Giovanella and his obsessive-compulsive disease over that ridiculous Sigma
    > camera thing. I have fun in knowing I'm better than you.

    Better? Nope. Your anger shows that "fun" masks a rather sick
    compulsion you have.

    > I have fun in knowing that I earn one hell of a lot more than you.

    You don't know that, but those that are in it for the money
    generally don't have much fun doing it. This isn't the first time
    you've made this boast, and if nothing else, how shallow you are.

    > I have fun laughing at your naive assumptions about lesbians,
    > and your bigotry.

    You're the one making off-the-wall, incorrect assumptions. Not
    naive, but stupid ones, actually. It's your mix of hostility,
    superciliousness and infantile behavior that I find repulsive.

    > I have fun in knowing you will never be one tenth the person I am.
    > I have fun.

    The more strident you get they less believable you appear.

    > But the best fun of all starts very early tomorrow, when our four months
    > of holiday begins, and I won't have to observe the inane mouthings and
    > dribblings of the likes of you because I'll be somewhere in the Caribbean
    > or the Far East with my partner.

    And I'm quite sure your associates will rejoice at your departure.
    Whether four months is sufficient for them to fully recover remains
    to be seen. And do try to be kind to your partner. She obviously
    has to endure far more than most of us.

    > Don't bother replying. I'm just tidying things up now, and won't check
    > Usenet out again until about mid October.

    Au revoir, sweetie . . .
    ASAAR, Jun 18, 2005