    important that the CD is seperated into seperate files and so it will be
    fine if if is just one big long file on the CD. It's just I have a CD player
    in my car and not a tape player.
    Neil Greenough, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Neil Greenough

    Jamco Guest

    just plug the tape drive into the computer, and use something like roxio, my
    dad does it all the time to copy his old records to cd.
    Or just download the songs and burn them to disc, that would probably give
    you better quaility

    Jamco, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Neil Greenough

    DC Guest

    Jamco wrote:
    > "Neil Greenough" <> wrote in message

    >> Does anybody know if it is posisble to copy audio tapes to a CD using a CD
    >> burner? How would I connect the tape player to the computer? It isn't so
    >> important that the CD is seperated into seperate files and so it will be
    >> fine if if is just one big long file on the CD. It's just I have a CD
    >> player in my car and not a tape player.

    > just plug the tape drive into the computer, and use something like roxio, my
    > dad does it all the time to copy his old records to cd.

    What perfectly useless advice.

    > Or just download the songs and burn them to disc, that would probably give
    > you better quaility

    This is somewhat better, yet it does not address the OP's specific
    question.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
    DC, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Neil Greenough

    Art Guest

    > Does anybody know if it is posisble to copy audio tapes to a CD using a CD
    > burner? How would I connect the tape player to the computer?

    Get the "stereo male mini plug to two male RCA plugs"
    adapter cord from Radio Shack, plug from your tape deck's output to your
    line input on your computer.

    Assuming it's a PC (not a Mac), you'll need to set up your record channel:
    Double click your little speaker icon in the lower right, and when the mixer
    opens, click OPTIONS/PROPERTIES/RECORDING. That brings up the mixer that
    controls what you're recording: the first mixer controls only what you're
    hearing.

    (On the first mixer, you should probably have LINE IN potted up so you can
    hear the input from the cassette recorder on your computer's speakers.
    Remember, this volume control (and EQ and reverb and whatever) don't affect
    the record channel. You could even be listening to streaming music off the
    internet while you record and it won't interfere.)

    Back to the RECORD mixer; make sure LINE IN is potted up and selected, and
    all others are down and/or muted.

    Now you need some record software. You could use the crappy little recorder
    that comes with Windows. Or you could download a much better recorder. I'd
    highly recommend GoldWave. It costs $40, and can do anything. Best, it's
    free to download and try, and you can use it many, many times before you're
    forced to buy it. You can see clearly what you're recording, and adjust
    levels, remove hiss, trim ends, etc. before saving. (You can select a
    section of the hiss between songs on the tape, and GoldWave can "learn" it,
    then take it out of the recordings with its built-in noise reduction.)

    If you really want the best, spend another hundred bucks and get Adobe
    Audition (formerly Cool Edit). But really, GoldWave will do everything you
    need and way more.

    Always record at 44.1k sampling, 16 bits, stereo. Save as a .wav file.
    This is what a CD burner wants to see (anything else will be converted to
    this or won't work).

    Try to come close to using 100% modulation, but do not let it get too loud
    so the waves get clipped. You'll need to run your software while you
    control the record level on the mixer, to get it right.

    >It isn't so
    > important that the CD is seperated into seperate files and so it will be
    > fine if if is just one big long file on the CD. It's just I have a CD
    > player
    > in my car and not a tape player.

    No, it is important. You can't skip to the next song or back to the
    beginning of this one (easily) if it's all one big file. And one big CD
    file is really a big file. It's awkward to handle. If you take the time to
    name the .wav files properly (like "Beatles - I Want to Hold Your
    Hand.wav"), they'll be easier to keep track of and organize, including if
    you use GoldWave to save them as MP3s for other uses later. (You'll have to
    download an MP3 encoder, but the GoldWave people can point you to some good
    free ones.)
    Art, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Thanks for the fantastic info all.

    I am actually learning Arabic and using a book which comes with tapes.
    That's the reason why I want to copy the tapes onto a CD-ROM.

    Thanks again all

    Neil Greenough, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Neil Greenough

    Art Guest

    One more great piece of software for this kind of stuff is AudioGrabber.
    Used to be $30 and worth it, now it's free.

    Great for recording live streams or anything else. You can set to record on
    a timer, and compress to MP3 as it saves so there's room for many hours on
    your drive. Also, you set the sensitivity for when it detects a break
    between songs, and it'll save a bunch of smaller files instead of one huge
    one.

    Also about the best CD ripper ever. Highly recommended.
    Art, Oct 18, 2004
  7. Neil Greenough

    Jamco Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Jamco wrote:
    >> "Neil Greenough" <> wrote in message

    >>> Does anybody know if it is posisble to copy audio tapes to a CD using a
    >>> CD
    >>> burner? How would I connect the tape player to the computer? It isn't so
    >>> important that the CD is seperated into seperate files and so it will be
    >>> fine if if is just one big long file on the CD. It's just I have a CD
    >>> player in my car and not a tape player.

    >> just plug the tape drive into the computer, and use something like roxio,
    >> my
    >> dad does it all the time to copy his old records to cd.

    > What perfectly useless advice.

    How is that useless
    I gave instructions, plug it into your computer (sound card) and i listed
    software (roxio)
    what more could you ask for?

    Jamco, Oct 18, 2004
  8. "Neil Greenough" <> wrote in message
    > Does anybody know if it is posisble to copy audio tapes to a CD using a CD
    > burner? How would I connect the tape player to the computer? It isn't so
    > important that the CD is seperated into seperate files and so it will be
    > fine if if is just one big long file on the CD. It's just I have a CD
    > player
    > in my car and not a tape player.

    You could try our software RIP Vinyl. Although it seems to be for LPs and
    78s you can actually record from any source on your PC including streaming
    audio.

    You can try the free version at
    www.ripvinyl.com/?041018

    It inserts a beep on each track, but the full version costs an unbelievably
    low US 7.00. There is also a FAQ page on the site that describes how to
    hook everything up, and shows the cables you may need.

    Anthony Wieser
    Wieser Software Ltd
    Anthony Wieser, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Neil Greenough

    DC Guest

    [trimmed for clarity]

    Jamco wrote:
    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Jamco wrote:
    >>> "Neil Greenough" <> wrote in message

    >>> just plug the tape drive into the computer

    >> What perfectly useless advice.

    > How is that useless
    > I gave instructions, plug it into your computer (sound card)

    Sound card, eh? Well, that makes sense. Now. }:O)

    DC, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Neil Greenough

    ProfGene Guest

    You need a patch cord with two RCA plugs at one end that go into your tape
    deck and an eighth inch stereo at the other end to go into linein of you
    soundcard. Then you need a wave editing program like Cooledit to record the
    sound which you save as wave files which can be burnt onto a cd.

    ProfGene, Oct 19, 2004