Tape backup problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knut Arvid Keilen, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. I have a little difficult one for the readers this time.

    On my shelf lies an old tape backup unit.

    In addition to power inlet and an On / Off switch on the rear, it connects
    to a computer and a printer
    by means of a male and female printer plug, both also located on the rear of
    the unit.

    I have found the printer not to work very well when using this tape unit as
    a middle way or go between unit.

    On the top front, it reads "backpack". The tape goes in at the front. There
    are somewhere between one and three
    light diodes at the front as well, a little hard to tell exactly.

    The tape (or mini cartridge) used is having the name(s) of QD2120 (or
    formatted QIC-80, 120 MB).
    The manufacturer for my current sample is Sony.

    There are two floppy disks enclosed in an envelope. One for DOS, the other
    one for Windows.
    They are copyright Arcada software 1994 (the tape unit has a label at the
    bottom reading MicroSolutions) and they may
    not exist in that name by today, I think.

    If I was using Windows 3.1 or a little older (maybe Windows 95 / 98), I
    would probably get it working.

    Does anyone have a guess as to whether there may exist any tape backup
    software that could communicate
    with this unit using Windows XP Home / Professional. The tapes themselves
    aren't that bad and I have seven of them.

    Thanks in advance !

    Regards,

    Knut Arvid Keilen
    Norway.

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Sep 7, 2007

  2. "Knut Arvid Keilen" <> skrev i melding
    >I have a little difficult one for the readers this time.
    >
    > On my shelf lies an old tape backup unit.
    >
    > In addition to power inlet and an On / Off switch on the rear, it connects
    > to a computer and a printer
    > by means of a male and female printer plug, both also located on the rear
    > of
    > the unit.
    >
    > I have found the printer not to work very well when using this tape unit
    > as
    > a middle way or go between unit.
    >
    > On the top front, it reads "backpack". The tape goes in at the front.
    > There
    > are somewhere between one and three
    > light diodes at the front as well, a little hard to tell exactly.
    >
    > The tape (or mini cartridge) used is having the name(s) of QD2120 (or
    > formatted QIC-80, 120 MB).
    > The manufacturer for my current sample is Sony.
    >
    > There are two floppy disks enclosed in an envelope. One for DOS, the other
    > one for Windows.
    > They are copyright Arcada software 1994 (the tape unit has a label at the
    > bottom reading MicroSolutions) and they may
    > not exist in that name by today, I think.
    >
    > If I was using Windows 3.1 or a little older (maybe Windows 95 / 98), I
    > would probably get it working.
    >
    > Does anyone have a guess as to whether there may exist any tape backup
    > software that could communicate
    > with this unit using Windows XP Home / Professional. The tapes themselves
    > aren't that bad and I have seven of them.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Knut Arvid Keilen
    > Norway.

    Yes ! You are right in that this equipment is out of date, but it could
    still have been fun trying it out !

    I am recovering from a recent disc crash on my PC. I do have 5 TDK DVD-RW's
    and 5 Richoh DVD-RW's as well that I could use to keep my data.
    Also two 10-packs of CD-RW's as well. I should really buy even more of these
    ones.

    Vendors like InterVideo and a couple of others as well (maybe Ntius and
    another I forgot the name of) offer DVD-burning software for such use.

    The advantage is if you take the time to record the stuff you want to have,
    you may be able to get it back when the hard disks goes down.

    Regards !

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Sep 7, 2007