Tape backup problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knut Arvid Keilen, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. I have a little difficult one for the readers this time.

    On my shelf lies an old tape backup unit.

    In addition to power inlet and an On / Off switch on the rear, it connects
    to a computer and a printer
    by means of a male and female printer plug, both also located on the rear of
    the unit.

    I have found the printer not to work very well when using this tape unit as
    a middle way or go between unit.

    On the top front, it reads "backpack". The tape goes in at the front. There
    are somewhere between one and three
    light diodes at the front as well, a little hard to tell exactly.

    The tape (or mini cartridge) used is having the name(s) of QD2120 (or
    formatted QIC-80, 120 MB).
    The manufacturer for my current sample is Sony.

    There are two floppy disks enclosed in an envelope. One for DOS, the other
    one for Windows.
    They are copyright Arcada software 1994 and they may not exist in that name
    by today, I think.

    If I was using Windows 3.1 or a little older (maybe Windows 95 / 98), I
    would probably get it working.

    Does anyone have a guess as to whether there may exist any tape backup
    software that could communicate
    with this unit using Windows XP Home / Professional. The tapes themselves
    aren't that bad and I have seven of them.

    Thanks in advance !

    Regards,

    Knut Arvid Keilen
    Norway.

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Sep 7, 2007

  2. Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:
    > I have a little difficult one for the readers this time.
    >
    > On my shelf lies an old tape backup unit.
    >
    > In addition to power inlet and an On / Off switch on the rear, it connects
    > to a computer and a printer
    > by means of a male and female printer plug, both also located on the rear of
    > the unit.
    >
    > I have found the printer not to work very well when using this tape unit as
    > a middle way or go between unit.
    >
    > On the top front, it reads "backpack". The tape goes in at the front. There
    > are somewhere between one and three
    > light diodes at the front as well, a little hard to tell exactly.
    >
    > The tape (or mini cartridge) used is having the name(s) of QD2120 (or
    > formatted QIC-80, 120 MB).
    > The manufacturer for my current sample is Sony.
    >
    > There are two floppy disks enclosed in an envelope. One for DOS, the other
    > one for Windows.
    > They are copyright Arcada software 1994 and they may not exist in that name
    > by today, I think.
    >
    > If I was using Windows 3.1 or a little older (maybe Windows 95 / 98), I
    > would probably get it working.
    >
    > Does anyone have a guess as to whether there may exist any tape backup
    > software that could communicate
    > with this unit using Windows XP Home / Professional. The tapes themselves
    > aren't that bad and I have seven of them.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Knut Arvid Keilen
    > Norway.

    Shut up Knut, you knuckle dragging spawn of ignorance. Nobody wants to
    help you dredge up old equipment that is 12 years out of date before it
    starts. Go away.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 7, 2007

  3. Knut Arvid Keilen

    PeeCee Guest

    "Knut Arvid Keilen" <> wrote in message
    >I have a little difficult one for the readers this time.
    >
    > On my shelf lies an old tape backup unit.
    >
    > In addition to power inlet and an On / Off switch on the rear, it connects
    > to a computer and a printer
    > by means of a male and female printer plug, both also located on the rear
    > of the unit.
    >
    > I have found the printer not to work very well when using this tape unit
    > as a middle way or go between unit.
    >
    > On the top front, it reads "backpack". The tape goes in at the front.
    > There are somewhere between one and three
    > light diodes at the front as well, a little hard to tell exactly.
    >
    > The tape (or mini cartridge) used is having the name(s) of QD2120 (or
    > formatted QIC-80, 120 MB).
    > The manufacturer for my current sample is Sony.
    >
    > There are two floppy disks enclosed in an envelope. One for DOS, the other
    > one for Windows.
    > They are copyright Arcada software 1994 and they may not exist in that
    > name by today, I think.
    >
    > If I was using Windows 3.1 or a little older (maybe Windows 95 / 98), I
    > would probably get it working.
    >
    > Does anyone have a guess as to whether there may exist any tape backup
    > software that could communicate
    > with this unit using Windows XP Home / Professional. The tapes themselves
    > aren't that bad and I have seven of them.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Knut Arvid Keilen
    > Norway.

    Knut

    I have several similar sized tape backup units kicking around here.
    Made by Aiwa (Sony's budget brand) they could reach 250 MB with highly
    compressible data.
    Like yours they used Arcada software, most of them had Windows 3.1 versions
    in the box, but I did have one copy of the Windows 95 software to get them
    going in 95/98.
    Yes I used them, but found them a pain to use.

    Regretfully though they can be interesting to play with, the simple fact is
    technology has completely passed them by.

    * They are slow (hours to copy a full tape's worth)
    * Limited capacity. (1 CD = 3 tapes)
    * Media is relatively expensive (tape = $30 = 250 MB, the same money spent
    on CDR's would buy you 2100 MB of space)
    * No software support beyond Windows 95/98

    The realities of it are that the arrival of CD burners decimated the small
    capacity tape backup market.
    Although support was supposed to be built into Windows 2000 for these units
    I could never get mine to work so just went out and bought a CD Burner.

    You wouldn't be interested in a 4GB Seagate tape backup unit would you?
    (hint 1 DVDR = 4.7GB at $1...)

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Sep 7, 2007
  4. Knut Arvid Keilen

    thanatoid Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:
    >> I have a little difficult one for the readers this time.
    >>
    >> On my shelf lies an old tape backup unit.
    >>
    >> In addition to power inlet and an On / Off switch on the
    >> rear, it connects to a computer and a printer
    >> by means of a male and female printer plug, both also
    >> located on the rear of the unit.
    >>
    >> I have found the printer not to work very well when using
    >> this tape unit as a middle way or go between unit.
    >>
    >> On the top front, it reads "backpack". The tape goes in at
    >> the front. There are somewhere between one and three
    >> light diodes at the front as well, a little hard to tell
    >> exactly.
    >>
    >> The tape (or mini cartridge) used is having the name(s) of
    >> QD2120 (or formatted QIC-80, 120 MB).
    >> The manufacturer for my current sample is Sony.
    >>
    >> There are two floppy disks enclosed in an envelope. One
    >> for DOS, the other one for Windows.
    >> They are copyright Arcada software 1994 and they may not
    >> exist in that name by today, I think.
    >>
    >> If I was using Windows 3.1 or a little older (maybe
    >> Windows 95 / 98), I would probably get it working.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a guess as to whether there may exist any
    >> tape backup software that could communicate
    >> with this unit using Windows XP Home / Professional. The
    >> tapes themselves aren't that bad and I have seven of them.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance !
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Knut Arvid Keilen
    >> Norway.

    > Shut up Knut, you knuckle dragging spawn of ignorance.
    > Nobody wants to help you dredge up old equipment that is 12
    > years out of date before it starts. Go away.

    Now now. I have a Colorado unit similar to the one Mr. Keilen
    describes, with a bunch of tapes WELL OVER 12 years old and it
    works just fine under DOS or 95. A bit slow and noisy, but I'm
    in no hurry.

    Notwithstanding, PeeCee's comments are completely correct.

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

    thanatoid, Sep 7, 2007