    returning the Tamron lens! Any future lens I buy I will do this same test
    on the lens to check it out!
    http://www.stormpages.com/artbox/lenscompare/index.html

    Beowulf, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Beowulf

    JK Guest

    That is not a fair test though, as you compared a lens with an 11x zoom range
    to lenses with a 3x and 2.5x zoom range. Of course the lens with the 11X
    zoom range should give much poorer quality images. Why do you think
    there are no pro level 11x zoom lenses? Now if you repeat the test even
    with a pro level f2.8 3x zoom lens, and with a high quality prime lens
    like a 50mm f1.4 and compare both lenses at f8, you will probably notice
    that the 50mm f1.4 lens gives much sharper images. That is why many
    pros still try to avoid using zoom lenses. The test would be good to compare
    lenses with the same zoom range.

    JK, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Beowulf

    bmoag Guest

    The long zooms are all horrible, wheher made by camera manufacturers or
    others. They have horrible distortion, low contrast/flare, sometimes
    vignetting at wide angle settings and are not very sharp. These lenses are
    very convenient for travelling, especially if you are mostly going to be
    shooting outdoors on sunny days so the small f-stop and busy scenery hide
    the deficiencies of the lens. However the truth is that all zooms have
    similar problems but in well made shorter range zooms the problems,
    especially distortion, are better corrected. I got obsessed once over the
    distortion issue and photographed a grid pattern with all my zooms (Nikon,
    Minolta, Tamron): every one of them has distortion to some degree. Wide
    angle primes less so but it is still there.
    I still use my Tamron zoom for outdoor vacation pictures sometimes.

    bmoag, Aug 23, 2003
  4. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:46:45 -0500, Jim Townsend wrote:
    > There have been discussions on other threads as to the fact the 28-300
    > isn't the best choice of lenses.. This thread kind of cleared it up.

    Yup. This test told me what I needed to know. I just wanted to share
    the photo results with others who might be interested in see the results.
    Well I will be saving myself several hundred dollars by returning that
    lens :)

    Beowulf, Aug 23, 2003
  5. Beowulf

    Dick Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:53:15 -0500, JK wrote:
    >
    > > That is not a fair test though, as you compared a lens with an 11x zoom
    > > range to lenses with a 3x and 2.5x zoom range. ,,,

    > The test was simply to compare the 10x zoom Tamron with the other
    > lenses, and only the one Tamron. It just showed me that the one specific
    > Tamron zoom lens is much lower quality than the two lower range zoom
    > lenses of Canon that come with the Rebel cameras. I can not accept
    > shooting pics of models where their hair etc. will be out of focus, so I
    > am going to return the Tamron. Likely most such 10x zoom lenses will
    > distort images, so I will stay clear of them. Better I just move in
    > closer to the model with a 28-90mm lens.

    So return it and quit talking about it.

    Dick

    Dick, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Beowulf

    Mark Weaver Guest

    All the image files come up missing for me. Everyone else is seeing them
    OK?

    Mark Weaver, Aug 23, 2003
  7. Beowulf

    JK Guest

    Now compare the results from your 3x zooms to a 50mm f1.4 or even
    a 50mm f1.8 lens stopped down to f8. After that, you might not want
    to uses zoom lenses, especially the consumer grade ones that are
    slower than f2.8.

    JK, Aug 23, 2003
  8. Beowulf

    JK Guest

    All of the newspaper images look quite unsharp and lacking in contrast.
    I suggest that you buy a 50mm f1.4 lens(or a 50mm f1.8 lens if you want
    to save some money) and repeat the experiment, comparing it to your
    Canon zooms. This time use 100 ISO though. After that test, you might
    not want to use zoom lenses, especially the lower priced ones that are
    slower than f2.8. I did the newspaper test years ago with my lenses
    using a film camera, and was shocked that even my Vivitar Series One
    70-210 f2.8-4 lens which was supposed to be a good quality zoom lens
    was still much less sharp and appear to deliver much less contrast than
    my prime lenses.

    JK, Aug 23, 2003
  9. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:46:58 -0500, Dick wrote:
    ..

    > So return it and quit talking about it.

    hey nobody is forcing you to read this thread-- I am posting this
    material and images as an educational endeavor, so anybody interested,
    especially newbies, can learn something.

    Beowulf, Aug 23, 2003
  10. Beowulf

    Dick Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:46:58 -0500, Dick wrote:
    > .
    > >>

    > > So return it and quit talking about it.

    > hey nobody is forcing you to read this thread-- I am posting this
    > material and images as an educational endeavor, so anybody interested,
    > especially newbies, can learn something.

    You're right, no one is forcing me to read it and I won't anymore since
    your name has been added to Gravity's Bozo Bin.

    Dick

    Dick, Aug 23, 2003
  11. No need for such aggression. Obviously a number of people found the thread
    interesting.

    Michael Kilpatrick, Aug 24, 2003
  12. Agree with Michael. Thread is interesting. No need to complain.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 24, 2003
  13. Beowulf

    Lionel Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:21:23 -0400, in <>,
    JK <> said:

    >Now compare the results from your 3x zooms to a 50mm f1.4 or even
    >a 50mm f1.8 lens stopped down to f8. After that, you might not want
    >to uses zoom lenses, especially the consumer grade ones that are
    >slower than f2.8.

    <grin>
    That's why I shoot with prime lenses whenever possible. ;)

    Lionel, Aug 24, 2003