    when you're done messing with it). I called fedex but the person I spoke to
    just said "probably 'security reasons'."
    Dave

    Dave, May 17, 2006

  2. Dave

    paddy Guest

    paddy, May 17, 2006

  3. Dave

    clubfoot Guest

    I own a shipping store that uses UPS, FedEx, USPS and (if forced to) uses
    DHL. We have shipped almost a dozen computer systems this year alone and
    have never had a customer complain about a system being messed with during
    transit. We do get regular bulletins from the shipping companies and our
    franchise HQ is real good about letting us know about the shippers policy
    changes and I have never received one bulletin stating that any currier will
    pull apart and inspect computers. This is not to say that they wont, I'm
    just saying that they usually tell us about things like that - in the
    interest of "national security." Just to clear up one thing though, the
    curriers on their own don't usually institute policies like this on their
    own - why spend the money to hire an extra crew if they don't have to. If
    FedEx did it then it most likely is a government instituted policy and is
    thus mandated to ALL curriers, not just FedEx, thats usually how it works.
    And, there are several government agencies that regulate the curriers and
    any number of them could have been the one that inspected the computer - if
    it was pulled apart in transit. Although, the fact that it was not even put
    back together once they decided that you were not part of Bin Laden's group
    of loosers kind of pisses me off. It's one thing to snoop into our private
    things in the interest of national security but, it's simply rude and
    disrespectful to leave things in shambles.

    clubfoot, May 17, 2006
  4. Dave

    JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:32:29 -0400, Dave wrote:

    > Hi - I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences when
    > shipping computers - I just shipped one to myself, fedex, as I was moving,
    > and when I got it and opened the case I noticed the hard drive was loose and
    > banging around the box, the IDE cables had been unplugged from the hard
    > drive and CD drives, as well as the power cables. When I shipped it,
    > everything was screwed in tight, and when I booted it went into BIOS and
    > said the case had been opened. Miraculously it appears that nothing is
    > damaged. The previous time I shipped my computer it was obviously also
    > tampered with but was less messed-up. My question: why? Looking for Bin
    > Laden's plans? Looking for illegal porn? I could see why the USPS would do
    > this but not a private company (at least put the stuff back the way it was
    > when you're done messing with it). I called fedex but the person I spoke to
    > just said "probably 'security reasons'."
    > Dave

    Was the actual shipping container opened? More likely it just got banged
    around and wasn't packed well enough. Can you imagine the manpower
    required to open every pc being shipped and why in the world would they
    unplug the cables? If they wanted to see what was on your hard drive
    they'd just turn it on. If this were a common occurance FEDEX would
    rapidly loose a lot of business.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, May 18, 2006
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi - Yes, the box was opened - all my tape was cut through, and they had
    re-taped it. Basically, it beats me. I do have it password protected, so
    they would not have been able to boot into Windows (unless there's some easy
    way to get past Windows security, and knowing MS, there probably is). BIOS
    said the case had been opened/tampered with and also it takes so much force
    to take out those power cables I don't think they could have come loose
    during shipping. I am looking into it with fedex as I don't like my privacy
    being invaded, but they claim it was never inspected.
    Dave

    Dave, May 18, 2006