    I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

    Any ideas?

    thanks
    Richard Owlett, Jul 22, 2006

  2. Richard Owlett

    Vanguard Guest

    "Richard Owlett" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to
    > me *PERSONALLY* !!
    >
    > MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
    > They DO *NOT* work for me.
    >
    > I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

    So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
    desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you
    never bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position
    ordered left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange
    option for the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).
    Vanguard, Jul 22, 2006

  3. Vanguard wrote:

    > "Richard Owlett" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to me
    >> *PERSONALLY* !!
    >>
    >> MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
    >> They DO *NOT* work for me.
    >>
    >> I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

    > So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
    > desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you
    > never bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position
    > ordered left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange
    > option for the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).

    Auto-Arrange was OFF

    I'd like to
    individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
    then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes
    Richard Owlett, Jul 22, 2006
  4. Richard Owlett

    Paul Guest

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> "Richard Owlett" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to me
    >>> *PERSONALLY* !!
    >>>
    >>> MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
    >>> They DO *NOT* work for me.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

    >> So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
    >> desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you never
    >> bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position ordered
    >> left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange option for
    >> the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).

    > Auto-Arrange was OFF
    >
    > I'd like to
    > individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
    > then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes

    Go on then, don't let us stop you....
    Paul, Jul 22, 2006
  5. Richard Owlett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Richard Owlett wrote:
    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> "Richard Owlett" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to me
    >>> *PERSONALLY* !!
    >>>
    >>> MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
    >>> They DO *NOT* work for me.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

    >> So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
    >> desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you
    >> never bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position
    >> ordered left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange
    >> option for the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).

    > Auto-Arrange was OFF
    >
    > I'd like to
    > individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
    > then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes

    If Auto-Arrange is OFF, then drag and arrange the desktop icons any way
    that floats your boat.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 22, 2006
  6. Duane Arnold wrote:

    > Richard Owlett wrote:
    >
    >> Vanguard wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Richard Owlett" <> wrote in message

    >>> So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
    >>> desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you
    >>> never bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position
    >>> ordered left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange
    >>> option for the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).

    >> Auto-Arrange was OFF
    >>
    >> I'd like to
    >> individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
    >> then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes
    >>

    > If Auto-Arrange is OFF, then drag and arrange the desktop icons any way
    > that floats your boat.
    >
    > Duane :)

    That sounds reasonable.

    *BUT*

    highliting either 6 or 7 icons [depending on murky conditions] will copy
    previous m-1 icons to first empty space.

    will someone place w. gates in iron maiden with MUCH NaCl &/or hot tar?
    Richard Owlett, Jul 22, 2006
  7. Richard Owlett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Richard Owlett wrote:
    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Owlett wrote:

    >>> Auto-Arrange was OFF
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to
    >>> individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
    >>> then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes
    >>>

    >> If Auto-Arrange is OFF, then drag and arrange the desktop icons any
    >> way that floats your boat.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > That sounds reasonable.
    >
    > *BUT*
    >
    > highliting either 6 or 7 icons [depending on murky conditions] will copy
    > previous m-1 icons to first empty space.

    Who does that? On every Windows O/S I have used, I got my set
    arrangement of desktop icons I want located on the desktop. I move them
    manually one at a time to the spots, log off/log on so that they hold
    and go on about my business. It's not that hard.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 22, 2006
  8. Duane Arnold wrote:
    > Richard Owlett wrote:
    >
    >> Duane Arnold wrote:

    >>> If Auto-Arrange is OFF, then drag and arrange the desktop icons any
    >>> way that floats your boat.
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> That sounds reasonable.
    >>
    >> *BUT*
    >>
    >> highliting either 6 or 7 icons [depending on murky conditions] will
    >> copy previous m-1 icons to first empty space.

    > Who does that? On every Windows O/S I have used, I got my set
    > arrangement of desktop icons I want located on the desktop. I move them
    > manually one at a time to the spots, log off/log on so that they hold
    > and go on about my business. It's not that hard.
    >
    > Duane :)

    BUT I want to move more than one at a time ;{
    Richard Owlett, Jul 22, 2006
  9. On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:50:09 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

    >> Who does that? On every Windows O/S I have used, I got my set
    >> arrangement of desktop icons I want located on the desktop. I move them
    >> manually one at a time to the spots, log off/log on so that they hold
    >> and go on about my business. It's not that hard.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > BUT I want to move more than one at a time!

    You can highlight any rectangular pattern and move the icons within that
    highlighted block as a unit.
    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 22, 2006
  10. Richard Owlett

    Martik Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:50:09 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
    >
    >>> Who does that? On every Windows O/S I have used, I got my set
    >>> arrangement of desktop icons I want located on the desktop. I move them
    >>> manually one at a time to the spots, log off/log on so that they hold
    >>> and go on about my business. It's not that hard.
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> BUT I want to move more than one at a time!

    > You can highlight any rectangular pattern and move the icons within that
    > highlighted block as a unit.

    Hold down the control key if the selection is not rectangular. If I have a
    few related icons I want together I create a folder on the desktop and drag
    them all to it. ie: A folder called "Video editing" will contain all
    programs related to that activity
    Martik, Jul 24, 2006
  11. Richard Owlett

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> "Richard Owlett" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to
    >>> me *PERSONALLY* !!
    >>>
    >>> MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
    >>> They DO *NOT* work for me.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent
    >>> locations.

    >> So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
    >> desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you
    >> never bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position
    >> ordered left to right, top down? Well, then disable the
    >> Auto-Arrange option for the desktop (right-click on the desktop,
    >> Arrange Icons By).

    > Auto-Arrange was OFF
    >
    > I'd like to
    > individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
    > then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes

    And how are you prevented from doing that extremely specific and
    personal configuration of icons that no one could program for? Since
    Auto-Arrange was off then the icons stay wherever you drag them. Then
    "fill the holes" by dragging whatever else you want around. You drag
    them in groups or one at a time. Desktop icons are not in draggable
    toolbars, if that is what you are striving at.
    Vanguard, Jul 25, 2006
  12. Richard Owlett

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Owlett wrote:

    >>> Auto-Arrange was OFF
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to
    >>> individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
    >>> then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes

    >> If Auto-Arrange is OFF, then drag and arrange the desktop icons any
    >> way that floats your boat.

    > That sounds reasonable.
    >
    > *BUT*
    >
    > highliting either 6 or 7 icons [depending on murky conditions] will
    > copy previous m-1 icons to first empty space.

    With Auto-Arrange turned off, none of the icons move into any empty
    spaces for the icons you dragged elsewhere. Sounds like you have some
    desktop management tool installed that is moving around the icons.

    For example, and because I don't bother using desktop icons that
    require me to minimize open windows to see them or use the Desktop
    powertoy and instead use toolbars in the taskbar, I have 6 icons on
    the desktop all aligned vertically on the top leftside of the screen.
    When I drag one of them to the right and drop it somewhere else, none
    of the other icons go moving around to fill in the empty space for the
    icon that I just dragged away.
    Vanguard, Jul 25, 2006
  13. Richard Owlett

    Vanguard Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in message

    >>> BUT I want to move more than one at a time!

    >> You can highlight any rectangular pattern and move the icons within
    >> that
    >> highlighted block as a unit.

    > Hold down the control key if the selection is not rectangular. If I
    > have a few related icons I want together I create a folder on the
    > desktop and drag them all to it. ie: A folder called "Video editing"
    > will contain all programs related to that activity

    Pretty much the same keyboard shortcuts you use (Shift, Ctrl, drag
    select) work on desktop icons the same way as when you are in Explorer
    and do the same with files or directories.
    Vanguard, Jul 25, 2006
  14. Richard Owlett

    Sylvia M Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Martik" <> wrote in message

    >>> You can highlight any rectangular pattern and move the icons within that
    >>> highlighted block as a unit.

    >> Hold down the control key if the selection is not rectangular. If I have
    >> a few related icons I want together I create a folder on the desktop and
    >> drag them all to it. ie: A folder called "Video editing" will contain all
    >> programs related to that activity

    > Pretty much the same keyboard shortcuts you use (Shift, Ctrl, drag select)
    > work on desktop icons the same way as when you are in Explorer and do the
    > same with files or directories.

    Google 'Save Desktop Icon Layout'
    I can't recall where I got mine (I may have even asked here).
    It sits in the right click of my Recycle Bin and works like a charm.

    Sylvia M. (not the other)
    Sylvia M, Jul 25, 2006
  15. Richard Owlett

    Vanguard Guest

    "Sylvia M" wrote in message news:...

    > "Vanguard" wrote ...
    >> "Martik" wrote ...

    >>> Hold down the control key if the selection is not rectangular. If
    >>> I have a few related icons I want together I create a folder on
    >>> the desktop and drag them all to it. ie: A folder called "Video
    >>> editing" will contain all programs related to that activity

    >> Pretty much the same keyboard shortcuts you use (Shift, Ctrl, drag
    >> select) work on desktop icons the same way as when you are in
    >> Explorer and do the same with files or directories.

    > Google 'Save Desktop Icon Layout'
    > I can't recall where I got mine (I may have even asked here).
    > It sits in the right click of my Recycle Bin and works like a charm.

    Are you talking about some utility that restores a layout that you
    have saved so you can recall it should you be foolish enough to share
    your login account with someone else or you run a buggy app that
    crashes Windows before the desktop layout got saved? If so, doesn't
    its help or About dialog tell you who wrote that utility and maybe
    even give a URL to their site? In fact, the OP mentioned that
    AutoArrange was off and yet icons were moving into the "holes" left
    behind when he moved desktop icons which is not normal behavior so it
    sounds like he already has some desktop icon arrangement utility
    running that is moving the icons around.

    If you often experience crashes so that your desktop layout didn't get
    saved during the normal logoff process, click on the desktop and
    Refresh (F5) to ensure that what you just setup gets saved immediately
    instead of at logoff.

    However, neither of the above address the problem the OP was asking
    about which was how to DO the setup of desktop icons. Nothing was
    mentioned about losing that setup.
    Vanguard, Jul 25, 2006