TalkParade

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by sunny@comcast.net, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Anybody use Talkparade or have any info about it. The $9.99 softphone
    service looks inviting. It is new but where does it purchase its service and
    what is there backbone like?
    , Feb 27, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Pepperoni Guest

    Do you have the URL? I couldn't really find it, just a single Russian
    language page. (which I didn't visit.) IPphones use the internet as a
    "backbone". You can pretty much acquire a number almost anywhere in the
    world which will ring on your PC. Your family across the country can reach
    you by dialing a local number, reducing long distance costs.

    I use the SJ Labs softphone with good results. I also have used XTen, but
    it has not gotten much use lately.
    http://www.sjlabs.com/
    My service is an add-on to my Vonage service.

    If you want to try out a cheap per-minute plan, try
    http://www.sipphone.com/
    They also have an excellent PC handset at:
    http://sipphone.com/accessories/
    free peer-to-peer

    Also fairly good service and quality using Glophone; easy to use, free
    peer-to-peer, they even give new users 30 "anyphone" minutes free.
    http://www.glophone.com/

    Sound quality largely depends upon your PC sound card unless you buy a
    digital USB handset.
    for example:
    http://www.glophone.com/content/store.aspx
    I have both of these handsets. I actually prefer the cheaper phone (the USB
    model is well made and very nice quality sound).

    I have arthritis and have trouble holding the USB handset without hitting
    the dialer buttons. The handset is metal with a nice feel, just difficult
    for *ME* to use. I prefer using the softphone dialer as it saves a
    directory.

    I think the same <cheaper> phone is available from Sipphone. (sipphone item
    is a few dollars less and free shipping as recently as Christmas)


    Pepperoni


    <> wrote in message news:422207b1$1_4@127.0.0.1...
    > Anybody use Talkparade or have any info about it. The $9.99 softphone
    > service looks inviting. It is new but where does it purchase its service

    and
    > what is there backbone like?
    Pepperoni, Feb 28, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    www.talkparade.com

    What I want is a number that I can use or call forward - with my PC.
    Talkparade appears to be providing that at a reasonable price. I just want
    to make sure it is not one of those to good to be true deals.

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    , Feb 28, 2005
    #3
  4. Pepperoni Guest

    <> wrote in message news:4222cd42$1_4@127.0.0.1...
    >
    > www.talkparade.com
    >
    > What I want is a number that I can use or call forward - with my PC.
    > Talkparade appears to be providing that at a reasonable price. I just want
    > to make sure it is not one of those to good to be true deals.
    >



    It seems to be similar to the Vonage service, with which I have been quite
    satisfied.

    Will they let you use the soft phone without the regular modem? Vonage
    markets their soft phone as an add-on service. My (SJLabs) soft phone is so
    reliable that I've loaned out my modem to a friend who is currently
    traveling so we can stay in touch.

    Read the features. It seems to have what you want. I have most of my
    features turned off, but everything you need seems to be included. You will
    also have a voice mail option that you can likely access from another phone
    line, or have forwarded via email.

    If you can get the softphone alone for that price, I would jump on it. I
    like the service and all the optional features.

    Here it is:

    "Stand alone service
    Unlike other broadband phone companies, we do not require that you use our
    Home or Office phone service before you can sign up for our Laptop
    SoftPhone. We're sure that once you try our Laptop service, you will switch
    to TalkParade for all your calling needs. "

    You're gonna love your soft phone. I use mine exclusively at home now.
    Even if your PC isn't on 24/7, you can configure your features to serve your
    needs.

    In the event you do sign on for the phone adapter modem, make sure you save
    the box to return the modem at the end:

    "Is there any minimum term commitment on the TalkParade calling plans?
    All of our plans are month-to-month which means you can change your plan or
    terminate our service at any time. You will need to return the TalkParade
    Phone Adaptor in its original box in good condition within 14 days of
    cancellation otherwise there will be a termination fee of $119."

    This is comparable to Vonage, but I believe the charge is a bit higher for
    non-return. *SAVE THE BOX FOLKS*


    They seem to have Vonage beat on the stand alone soft phone. There *MAY* be
    a one time set-up fee (and maybe a free service month), but I did not check
    that far into their requirements.

    Go for it Sunny. I don't know how they do their billing. Vonage auto
    deducts using the debit card (visa) tied to my checking account. There are
    no paper bills, but everything is available online immediately. (Vonage)


    You will need a headset or handset for best quality. PC speakers will make
    feedback (echo) through your microphone. I have used a cheap (free) earbud
    with good results.

    Pepperoni
    Pepperoni, Feb 28, 2005
    #4
  5. Rick Merrill Guest

    Re: Soft Phone (was Talk Parade)

    Pepperoni wrote:
    ....
    >
    > Will they let you use the soft phone without the regular modem? Vonage
    > markets their soft phone as an add-on service. My (SJLabs) soft phone is so
    > reliable that I've loaned out my modem to a friend who is currently
    > traveling so we can stay in touch....


    Are there other services that can use a "soft phone"?!
    Rick Merrill, Feb 28, 2005
    #5
  6. Pepperoni Guest

    Re: Soft Phone (was Talk Parade)

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Pepperoni wrote:
    > ...
    > >
    > > Will they let you use the soft phone without the regular modem? Vonage
    > > markets their soft phone as an add-on service. My (SJLabs) soft phone

    is so
    > > reliable that I've loaned out my modem to a friend who is currently
    > > traveling so we can stay in touch....

    >
    > Are there other services that can use a "soft phone"?!


    Yes, lots of them.
    Stand alone soft phones:
    http://www.sipphone.com/
    http://www.skype.com/
    http://www.glophone.com/

    Glophone has Glo2Go, so you don't need to download software (Java) allows
    you to use public PCs, (libraries, etc)


    Talk Parade sounds good. They don't require a phone modem to add a soft
    phone.

    I use the SJLabs softphone with my Vonage service--- works well.
    Many also use the XTen software, but I've had some config problems (although
    it also works well.)

    Sipphone works well, also free peer-to-peer.

    I don't use Skype, but folks love it.

    Peer-to-peer (friends with the same software) calls are free.
    Deposit a few bucks for calling regular phones.

    Try out the Glophone with a friend for free peer-to-peer. They even give
    you 30 minutes free to call "Anyphone" (regular phone)
    Pepperoni, Feb 28, 2005
    #6
  7. Rick Merrill Guest

    Re: Soft Phone (was Talk Parade)

    Pepperoni wrote:
    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>Pepperoni wrote:
    >>...
    >>
    >>>Will they let you use the soft phone without the regular modem? Vonage
    >>>markets their soft phone as an add-on service. My (SJLabs) soft phone

    >
    > is so
    >
    >>>reliable that I've loaned out my modem to a friend who is currently
    >>>traveling so we can stay in touch....

    >>
    >>Are there other services that can use a "soft phone"?!

    >
    >
    > Yes, lots of them.
    > Stand alone soft phones:
    > http://www.sipphone.com/
    > http://www.skype.com/
    > http://www.glophone.com/
    >
    > Glophone has Glo2Go, so you don't need to download software (Java) allows
    > you to use public PCs, (libraries, etc)
    >
    >
    > Talk Parade sounds good. They don't require a phone modem to add a soft
    > phone.
    >
    > I use the SJLabs softphone with my Vonage service--- works well.
    > Many also use the XTen software, but I've had some config problems (although
    > it also works well.)
    >
    > Sipphone works well, also free peer-to-peer.
    >


    Trying to understand here: you have BOTH a TA for your in-house
    telephones and a softphone for your computer?

    Do you know of any softphone that will work with ATT CallVantage?


    > I don't use Skype, but folks love it.
    >
    > Peer-to-peer (friends with the same software) calls are free.
    > Deposit a few bucks for calling regular phones.
    >
    > Try out the Glophone with a friend for free peer-to-peer. They even give
    > you 30 minutes free to call "Anyphone" (regular phone)
    >
    >
    Rick Merrill, Feb 28, 2005
    #7
  8. Pepperoni Guest

    Re: Soft Phone (was Talk Parade)

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Trying to understand here: you have BOTH a TA for your in-house
    > telephones and a softphone for your computer?
    >
    > Do you know of any softphone that will work with ATT CallVantage?


    I don't see it on their site, but for $10 buckies a month you can use
    TalkParade. (500 minutes) Check the links near the top of the thread. They
    don't care about your phone service, so long as you have broadband. You can
    call from the soft phone and ring your ATT line across the room.
    http://www.talkparade.com/

    My hardware phone modem (Vonage) is "On the road" with a friend. It will
    work anywhere there is a cable connection. I use my softphone exclusively
    at home. The adapter and softphone have different numbers so they can dial
    one another. Location doesn't matter, as addressing is by IP. Either will
    work any where in the world where there is an internet connection.

    Pepperoni
    Pepperoni, Feb 28, 2005
    #8
  9. Rick Merrill Guest

    Re: Soft Phone (was Talk Parade)

    Pepperoni wrote:
    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>Trying to understand here: you have BOTH a TA for your in-house
    >>telephones and a softphone for your computer?
    >>
    >>Do you know of any softphone that will work with ATT CallVantage?

    >
    >
    > I don't see it on their site, but for $10 buckies a month you can use
    > TalkParade. (500 minutes) Check the links near the top of the thread. They
    > don't care about your phone service, so long as you have broadband. You can
    > call from the soft phone and ring your ATT line across the room.
    > http://www.talkparade.com/
    >
    > My hardware phone modem (Vonage) is "On the road" with a friend. It will
    > work anywhere there is a cable connection. I use my softphone exclusively
    > at home. The adapter and softphone have different numbers so they can dial
    > one another. Location doesn't matter, as addressing is by IP. Either will
    > work any where in the world where there is an internet connection.
    >
    > Pepperoni
    >
    >


    Thanks! I will try to use it with CallVantage!

    Tell me about "Deploy your own SIP Network with a FREE SIP
    Proxy/Registrar Server and Xten's User Agent software!" ?!?! What does
    that mean? - RM
    Rick Merrill, Feb 28, 2005
    #9
  10. Pepperoni Guest

    Re: Soft Phone (was Talk Parade)

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Thanks! I will try to use it with CallVantage!
    >
    > Tell me about "Deploy your own SIP Network with a FREE SIP
    > Proxy/Registrar Server and Xten's User Agent software!" ?!?! What does
    > that mean? - RM


    Oh, I suppose it's for developing a private LAN for corporate or
    institutional use. I could look it up, but I'm tired. Probably a software
    routing program for private voip.
    Pepperoni, Feb 28, 2005
    #10
  11. Guest

    Re: Soft Phone (was Talk Parade)

    The thing I like about Talk Parade is that you get a phone number in which
    people can call you. Most others are just for outgoing calls unless you
    purchase the full service account. For $10 a month you can make lots of LD
    calls.

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    , Mar 1, 2005
    #11
  12. Pepperoni Guest

    Re: Soft Phone (was Talk Parade)

    <> wrote in message news:42247462$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > The thing I like about Talk Parade is that you get a phone number in which
    > people can call you. Most others are just for outgoing calls unless you
    > purchase the full service account. For $10 a month you can make lots of

    LD
    > calls.
    >



    Did you sign up? How is the sound quality?

    What I like is that the soft phone service can stand alone; my service is
    an add-on to another account.

    Pepperoni
    Pepperoni, Mar 1, 2005
    #12
  13. jpk Guest

    Hi all

    Pepperoni wrote:
    > I use the SJ Labs softphone with good results. I also have used XTen, but
    > it has not gotten much use lately.
    > http://www.sjlabs.com/
    > My service is an add-on to my Vonage service.


    I have tested a lot types of soft phones.
    I had also the best results with sjphone.
    But where can i buy a G.729 codec? Who
    know a source?

    jpk
    jpk, Mar 7, 2005
    #13
  14. Pepperoni Guest

    "jpk" <> wrote in message
    news:d0i32e$qea$-plus.net...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Pepperoni wrote:
    > > I use the SJ Labs softphone with good results. I also have used XTen,

    but
    > > it has not gotten much use lately.
    > > http://www.sjlabs.com/
    > > My service is an add-on to my Vonage service.

    >
    > I have tested a lot types of soft phones.
    > I had also the best results with sjphone.
    > But where can i buy a G.729 codec? Who
    > know a source?
    >
    > jpk


    XTen Pro includes the G-729 codec. The "lite" version does not.

    Sipphone sells a "PRO" version for $7.99
    http://sipphone.com/softphone/
    Setup for Xten Pro was twitchy (auto profile loaded improperly; hand
    configuration was successful but tedious)
    Pepperoni, Mar 7, 2005
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.

Share This Page