Talking to spammers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by James McLaughlin, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Hi.

    My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
    team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
    porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
    the same people efvery time.

    Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
    each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
    Morgan.

    So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
    to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
    pissed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
    suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.

    Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
    go.

    Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?

    Thanks,
    James

    James McLaughlin, Oct 20, 2004

  2. James McLaughlin

    Harry Guest

    James McLaughlin wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
    > team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
    > porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
    > the same people efvery time.
    >
    > Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
    > each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
    > Morgan.
    >
    > So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
    > to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
    > pissed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
    > suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
    >
    > Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
    > go.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?

    You could stop giving your email address to porn sites.

    Anyhow, now that the damage is done, why don't you simply
    change your email address?

    Harry, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Under no circumsatnces should you try to communicate. Its like voting for
    politicians - it only encourages them. The chances of them even paying
    attention to you is in the order of 1 in 10 million. All you do is alert
    their automated system that you are 'live'. Your value to them increases
    significantly from perhaps a thousandth of a cent to a hundreth of a cent
    (no I am NOT joking).

    Andrei Sharko, Oct 20, 2004
  4. James McLaughlin

    Rob Guest

    > Hi.
    >
    > My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
    > team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
    > porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
    > the same people efvery time.
    >
    > Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
    > each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
    > Morgan.
    >
    > So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
    > to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
    > pissed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
    > suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
    >
    > Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
    > go.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

    Why don't you just bounce it back to them with mailwasher or similar, and be
    done with it.

    Rob, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Suddenly, James McLaughlin sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?

    Yep, they can start joe-jobbing you - lets say, sending (fake) child-
    porn spam with your email address in the from: address.

    If you want to report, do it anonymously, e.g through spamcop.net.

    Remember, any "quality" spammer is likely a professional criminal as
    well, or linked to them.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 20, 2004
  6. James McLaughlin

    Collector_NZ Guest

    James McLaughlin said the following on 20/10/2004 22:52:
    > Hi.
    >
    > My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
    > team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
    > porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
    > the same people efvery time.
    >
    > Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
    > each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
    > Morgan.
    >
    > So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
    > to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
    > pissed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
    > suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
    >
    > Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
    > go.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

    Despite the harry halfwit dipshits normal "Change your email Address"
    there is no need to do that.

    1. The spam has probably got a forged from header
    2. It probably also has been sent via an open relay
    3. Never ever comunicate with a spammer this confirms your address is
    live and will result in it becoming valuable to them, they add it to
    thier confirmed live list which they sell on CD at much more profit than
    the spam items they advertise. Your spam will INCREASE EXPONETIALLY
    4. Use spam cop to identify the source and the hosting sites, report it
    and keep reporting it. It may not shut it down but every bit helps.
    5. If you just want to stop it hitting your inbox, investigate programs
    like mailwasher and even your ISP's mail system filters if they have any.

    Collector_NZ, Oct 20, 2004
  7. James McLaughlin

    thing Guest

    James McLaughlin wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
    > team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
    > porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
    > the same people efvery time.
    >
    > Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
    > each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
    > Morgan.
    >
    > So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
    > to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
    > pissed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
    > suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
    >
    > Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
    > go.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

    Do not send them any correspondance.

    Send any missed spam to missedspam"at"paradise.net.nz".blah"

    regards

    thing

    thing, Oct 20, 2004
  8. James McLaughlin

    Hmmm Guest

    James McLaughlin wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
    > team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
    > porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
    > the same people efvery time.
    >
    > Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
    > each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
    > Morgan.
    >
    > So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
    > to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
    > pissed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
    > suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
    >
    > Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
    > go.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

    Like everyone said, there is no point in trying to contact them, they
    will ignore your mail and you will just be confirming that your address
    is active.

    I would find a mail server that supports a challenge/resposne system
    that supports RBL's
    that supports SPF (stops people faking their domain)
    that supports filtering
    etc etc etc

    with the above you should get next to 0 spam, especially
    challenge/response systems.

    You should report the spam to spamcop who will blacklist them if they
    confirm that spam has been sent.

    Hmmm, Oct 20, 2004
  9. thing wrote:
    > Send any missed spam to missedspam"at"paradise.net.nz".blah"

    couldn't this address be unmunged quite happily?
    surely it would only ever receive spam?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 20, 2004
  10. In article <QVAdd.387$>, Hmmm <>
    wrote:

    >with the above you should get next to 0 spam, especially
    >challenge/response systems.

    There's some opinion that challenge/response systems are a really bad
    idea, because they simply increase the load of spam by sending out
    spurious challenges to forged sender addresses.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2004
  11. In article <4Urdd.248$>,
    "Andrei Sharko" <> wrote:

    >Its like voting for politicians - it only encourages them.

    That's a very USian thing to say...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2004
  12. In article <1098272258.13454@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >Why don't you just bounce it back to them with mailwasher or similar, and be
    >done with it.

    Because the sender address is forged, so any bounce will end up going to
    another innocent victim.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2004
  13. James McLaughlin

    Hmmm Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <QVAdd.387$>, Hmmm <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>with the above you should get next to 0 spam, especially
    >>challenge/response systems.

    > There's some opinion that challenge/response systems are a really bad
    > idea, because they simply increase the load of spam by sending out
    > spurious challenges to forged sender addresses.

    yes but tied in with spf that wont be a problem cause spf ensures the
    mail has come from the domain it claims to have, as long as the spf
    checks are done first and then no bother replying to anything thats faked..

    This assumes that the uptake of spf increases, but that should be the
    case as some major isp's are backing it now and are also starting to use it.

    If your isp doesnt use spf you should all nag them to implement it!

    Hmmm, Oct 21, 2004
  14. Hmmm wrote:
    > yes but tied in with spf that wont be a problem cause spf ensures the
    > mail has come from the domain it claims to have, as long as the spf
    > checks are done first and then no bother replying to anything thats faked..

    > This assumes that the uptake of spf increases, but that should be the
    > case as some major isp's are backing it now and are also starting to use
    > it.

    > If your isp doesnt use spf you should all nag them to implement it!

    it is being discussed on nznog at the moment, and the outcome was that
    it can also be a right royal PITA.
    for me it would be annoying too, as I send from where ever I am,
    although I am moving to using smtp-auth.

    Personally I see smtp-auth being very handy in conjunction with SPF...
    mostly for roaming users.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 21, 2004
  15. James McLaughlin

    Hmmm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Hmmm wrote:
    >
    >> yes but tied in with spf that wont be a problem cause spf ensures the
    >> mail has come from the domain it claims to have, as long as the spf
    >> checks are done first and then no bother replying to anything thats
    >> faked..

    >> This assumes that the uptake of spf increases, but that should be the
    >> case as some major isp's are backing it now and are also starting to
    >> use it.

    >> If your isp doesnt use spf you should all nag them to implement it!

    > it is being discussed on nznog at the moment, and the outcome was that
    > it can also be a right royal PITA.
    > for me it would be annoying too, as I send from where ever I am,
    > although I am moving to using smtp-auth.
    >
    > Personally I see smtp-auth being very handy in conjunction with SPF...
    > mostly for roaming users.

    As you said spf isnt a problem if you are coming in from a different ip
    as you can just send through your normal server using smtp auth which
    everyone should be doing anyway. Anyway everyone should be using
    smtpauth anyway, its been here for years its nothing new, and is far
    better security.

    Hmmm, Oct 21, 2004