    have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
    recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.

    I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?
    GraB, Dec 6, 2004

  2. GraB said the following on 7/12/2004 12:27 a.m.:
    > December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
    > 2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
    > have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
    > recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
    >
    > I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

    I like Smoothwall, had it running on a P166 with 20Gig hdd and OTT ram
    of 128M.
    I had three nics running a DMZ for my web server, local network and ADSL
    for connection.
    Smoothwall is probably OTT for dial up but its worth playing with just
    to understand what a real firewall can do.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Dec 6, 2004

  3. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:27:18 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
    >2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
    >have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
    >recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
    >
    >I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

    Meant to include review URL:
    GraB, Dec 6, 2004
  4. GraB

    GraB, Dec 6, 2004
  5. GraB

    thing Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
    > 2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
    > have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
    > recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
    >
    > I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

    These days, no a firewall is a good idea, you should also be able to set
    it to autodial if it detects network traffic (assuming you have other
    PCs behind it on a LAN wanting to get out).

    A Pentium 75 or better with PCI and 16meg of ram would do a dialup....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Dec 6, 2004
  6. GraB

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    http://www.freesco.org is enough for dialup, no hd required
    Alex Axolotl, Dec 7, 2004
  7. GraB

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:27:18 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
    > 2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
    > have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
    > recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
    >
    > I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

    Nope, Smoothwall works a treat and all the dial up guff is in the
    Smoothwall box. Also has DHCP etc

    Think about this? How long does it take for your PC to be attacked when on
    the 'net. Its done in the time you read this.

    http://www.smoothwall.org read and absorb.
    Gordon, Dec 7, 2004
  8. GraB

    Mark S Guest

    Not bad for an open source effort. But its still lacking vs a commercial
    product.

    Mark S, Dec 7, 2004
  9. GraB

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Mark S" <> wrote in news:41b53e3d$0$29136$45beb828
    @newscene.com:

    > Not bad for an open source effort. But its still lacking vs a commercial
    > product.

    A bit better IMHO is IPCop
    http://www.ipcop.org

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 7, 2004
  10. GraB

    The Hobbit Guest

    <Fixed top posting>

    "Mark S" <> wrote in message
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:27:18 +1300, GraB wrote:

    <Snip>
    > > > I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

    > > Nope, Smoothwall works a treat and all the dial up guff is in the
    > > Smoothwall box. Also has DHCP etc
    > >
    > > Think about this? How long does it take for your PC to be attacked when

    on
    > > the 'net. Its done in the time you read this.
    > >
    > > http://www.smoothwall.org read and absorb.
    > >

    > Not bad for an open source effort. But its still lacking vs a commercial
    > product.

    Which is why they *also* have a commercial product
    http://www.smoothwall.net/

    I've been running SW for about 3 or 4 years (I think, maybe longer) on a
    P133 with 64MB RAM and a 4GB HDD, I'm looking at IPCop now as they've
    finally released v1.4 which has a 'Blue' interface for WiFi - though I might
    need to review my choice PC as I'll then need 4 NICs and I think the dunga
    I've got is maxed out in the slot department.
    The Hobbit, Dec 7, 2004
  11. GraB

    Mark S Guest

    Sorry, I was referriing to their commercial product as well.

    Its not bad, ie its better value than a Cisco PIX or Checkpoint box, but its
    also not great, ie if you wanted the best of firewall technology you'd look
    at a Netscreen/Sonicwall/or Fortinet box.

    Mark S, Dec 7, 2004
  12. GraB

    Bob McLellan Guest

    A cobber of mine found that Smoothwall throughtput (cable xMbps) was
    constrained on a 400MHz machine but full speed on 800 MHz. Didn't
    analyse why. It supports dial and is relevant to dial if you are running
    any server/open port stuff or want NAT for multiple PC's.

    Bob McLellan, Dec 8, 2004
  13. GraB

    Bob McLellan Guest

    There is a commercial version of Smoothwall

    Bob McLellan, Dec 8, 2004