    TIA
    --
    Vass

    Vass, Feb 29, 2008

  2. Vass

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-02-29, Vass <> wrote:
    > I'm going to lend a PC to a mate who has TalkTalk broadband
    > as his USB modem is already set up, what do I need to put in the network
    > settings on the loan PC?
    > DO I really need to install TalkTalk's software to the loan PC?
    > TIA

    Try starting with the ISP's own instructions:
    <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=
    MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HSHUB> or <http://shortlinks.co.uk/hli> for
    short.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 29, 2008

  3. Vass

    Vass Guest

    Vass, Feb 29, 2008
  4. Vass

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:29:44 -0000, "Vass" <>
    wrote:

    >"Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Try starting with the ISP's own instructions:
    >> <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=
    >> MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HSHUB> or <http://shortlinks.co.uk/hli> for

    >which says "install their software" which I'm loathed to do
    >anyone else?

    It's a loaner. You don't *have* to put *anything* on it. And it's still *your*
    machine. If your friend wants to run talktalk, he can wait until he gets his
    fixed or he buys a new computer. It's *your* choice.

    --
    Q. Does Usenet help stamp out ignorance?
    A. That depends on whether by `stamp out' you mean `eliminate'

    Mara, Feb 29, 2008
  5. Vass

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-02-29, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:29:44 -0000, "Vass" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Try starting with the ISP's own instructions:
    >>> <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=
    >>> MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HSHUB> or <http://shortlinks.co.uk/hli> for

    >>which says "install their software" which I'm loathed to do
    >>anyone else?

    > It's a loaner. You don't *have* to put *anything* on it. And it's still *your*
    > machine. If your friend wants to run talktalk, he can wait until he gets his
    > fixed or he buys a new computer. It's *your* choice.

    I haven't looked in detail at that FAQ but my guess is that replacing the
    USB 'modem' (supplied by the ISP?) with a proper 'modem'/router and using
    the ethernet connection from the router to the computer, would avoid
    needing to install anything on the loaned computer. You would of course
    need to know the settings required to get the 'modem'/router working with
    the ISP connection, just in case it doesn't 'just work' when it's connected.

    <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=
    MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HELPDESK.MAINPAGE&topicSelect=BROADBAND&catSel
    ect=Modem&showFAQ=MODEMSETTINGS> or <http://xrl.us/bgxx4> seems to provide
    that information.

    Once the loaned computer is returned one is going to wipe and reinstall
    everything anyway, (even if the lendee does so before returning it) so I
    can't see the objection to installing any particular software for the
    duration of the loan. Unless one has an aversion to Microsoft or to
    multiple re-boots, of course,

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 29, 2008
  6. Vass

    Cub Guest

    "Vass" <> wrote in message
    > I'm going to lend a PC to a mate who has TalkTalk broadband
    > as his USB modem is already set up, what do I need to put in the network
    > settings on the loan PC?
    > DO I really need to install TalkTalk's software to the loan PC?
    > TIA
    > --
    > Vass

    Put a cheap modem router on put the talk talk setting in that and connect
    the loan pc to it via a nic

    Cub, Feb 29, 2008
  7. Vass

    Gazwad Guest

    Whiskers <>, the wizened-floater and heavyset
    human-enema who likes intrusive oral sex with tapeworms, and whose
    partner is a fallen woman with a dreadful conill, wrote in
    <>:
    > On 2008-02-29, Mara <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:29:44 -0000, "Vass"
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    >>>which says "install their software" which I'm loathed to do
    >>>anyone else?

    >> It's a loaner. You don't *have* to put *anything* on it. And it's still
    >> *your*
    >> machine. If your friend wants to run talktalk, he can wait until he gets
    >> his
    >> fixed or he buys a new computer. It's *your* choice.

    > I haven't looked in detail at that FAQ but my guess is that replacing the
    > USB 'modem' (supplied by the ISP?) with a proper 'modem'/router and using
    > the ethernet connection from the router to the computer, would avoid
    > needing to install anything on the loaned computer. You would of course
    > need to know the settings required to get the 'modem'/router working with
    > the ISP connection, just in case it doesn't 'just work' when it's
    > connected.
    >
    > <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=
    > MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HELPDESK.MAINPAGE&topicSelect=BROADBAND&catSel
    > ect=Modem&showFAQ=MODEMSETTINGS> or <http://xrl.us/bgxx4> seems to provide
    > that information.
    >
    > Once the loaned computer is returned one is going to wipe and reinstall
    > everything anyway, (even if the lendee does so before returning it) so I
    > can't see the objection to installing any particular software for the
    > duration of the loan. Unless one has an aversion to Microsoft or to
    > multiple re-boots, of course,
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers

    Talktalk seem to be providing Ethernet connected modems (routers to every
    other ****) these days.
    Make sure you either image the machine before he fucks it up or if you're
    happy to reload don't bother.
    Either way nothing needs to be loaded on the machine if he has an Ethernet
    connection, if he has a usb modem then lend the daft **** a router.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Gazwad, Feb 29, 2008