Talk about corruption is high places

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Thor, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Thor

    Thor Guest

    Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,

    Having spoofstick in Firefox installed decided to have a look.

    The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

    Ministry of Education Computer Center
    12th Fl, 106, Hoping E. Road, Sec 2.
    Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C
    TW

    Domain Name: edu.tw

    Contact:
    TANet, Administrator

    *~~~~~~~~~Thor
    Thor, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Thor wrote:
    > Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
    > The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

    Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd

    > Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

    I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz - my site.
    http://www.dave.net.nz/csb/id37.htm <- Blog.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Thor

    Thor Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Thor wrote:
    >> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
    >> The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

    > Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd

    Possible of course, hopefully it will be sorted quickly in that case.

    >> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

    > I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

    They are, note Republic of China, not People's Republic of China or
    similar.

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~Thor
    Thor, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Thor wrote:
    >>> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
    >>>The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

    >>Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd

    > Possible of course, hopefully it will be sorted quickly in that case.

    hopefully yeah.

    >>> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

    >>I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

    > They are, note Republic of China, not People's Republic of China or
    > similar.

    ahh ok.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Thor

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Thor wrote:
    >> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
    >> The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

    > Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd
    >
    >> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

    > I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

    Taiwan claimed for many years to be the legitimate goverment of China...and
    the Taiwanese legislature was populated by MPs, last elected prior to the
    revolution, from regions all over China.

    Taiwan is the "Republic of China".

    China is the "People's Republic of China".

    About 29 countries recognise Taiwan as "China"....mainly tiny countries that
    get a healthy dose of foreign aid from Taiwan.
    steve, Oct 6, 2005
  6. Thor

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:35:52 +1300, steve
    <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Thor wrote:
    >>> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
    >>> The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

    >> Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd
    >>
    >>> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

    >> I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

    >Taiwan claimed for many years to be the legitimate goverment of China...and
    >the Taiwanese legislature was populated by MPs, last elected prior to the
    >revolution, from regions all over China.
    >
    >Taiwan is the "Republic of China".
    >
    >China is the "People's Republic of China".
    >
    >About 29 countries recognise Taiwan as "China"....mainly tiny countries that
    >get a healthy dose of foreign aid from Taiwan.

    China's claim that Taiwan is just a province of China is invalid as
    the legitimate government of China were forced to retreat to Taiwan by
    the communists, who never took Taiwan. Many countries, like NZ, are
    being forced to recognise China as legitimate and accept China's 'one
    China' policy, as PM Clark has done, to get access to China's large
    markets. In a way it sucks.
    GraB, Oct 7, 2005
  7. Thor

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    > > Thor wrote:
    > >> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
    > >> The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

    > > Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd
    > >
    > >> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

    > > I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

    > Taiwan claimed for many years to be the legitimate goverment of China...and
    > the Taiwanese legislature was populated by MPs, last elected prior to the
    > revolution, from regions all over China.
    >
    > Taiwan is the "Republic of China".
    >
    > China is the "People's Republic of China".
    >
    > About 29 countries recognise Taiwan as "China"....mainly tiny countries that
    > get a healthy dose of foreign aid from Taiwan.

    Countries that are not kowtowing to Beijing - good on them.

    Practically everyone else has bowed to threats, blandishments and bribes
    from the PRC.
    Rob J, Oct 7, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    >China's claim that Taiwan is just a province of China is invalid as
    >the legitimate government of China were forced to retreat to Taiwan by
    >the communists, who never took Taiwan.

    That's like saying that the legitimate government of the original 13 US
    colonies was forced to retreat to Canada by the pro-independence
    fighters.

    >Many countries, like NZ, are
    >being forced to recognise China as legitimate and accept China's 'one
    >China' policy, as PM Clark has done, to get access to China's large
    >markets. In a way it sucks.

    Everything in politics sucks. Trading with China sucks, and the UN
    sucks. But they're both better than the alternative, which is clinging
    to the illusion of US dominance in world affairs.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2005
  9. Thor

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:34:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>China's claim that Taiwan is just a province of China is invalid as
    >>the legitimate government of China were forced to retreat to Taiwan by
    >>the communists, who never took Taiwan.

    >That's like saying that the legitimate government of the original 13 US
    >colonies was forced to retreat to Canada by the pro-independence
    >fighters.

    Not quite the same.
    GraB, Oct 7, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:34:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>China's claim that Taiwan is just a province of China is invalid as
    >>>the legitimate government of China were forced to retreat to Taiwan by
    >>>the communists, who never took Taiwan.

    >>That's like saying that the legitimate government of the original 13 US
    >>colonies was forced to retreat to Canada by the pro-independence
    >>fighters.

    >Not quite the same.

    Why not?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2005
  11. Thor

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > GraB <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:34:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:

    >>>That's like saying that the legitimate government of the original 13 US
    >>>colonies was forced to retreat to Canada by the pro-independence
    >>>fighters.

    >>Not quite the same.

    > Why not?

    The pre-revolution government was, and still is in London. They didn't
    retreat anywhere. Ig the Chatam Islands declared independence the NZ
    government wouldn't move.
    Jerry, Oct 7, 2005
  12. Thor

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:42:36 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:34:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:

    >>>That's like saying that the legitimate government of the original 13 US
    >>>colonies was forced to retreat to Canada by the pro-independence
    >>>fighters.

    >>Not quite the same.

    >Why not?

    Totally different situation. For one thing the Communist Chinese
    weren't throwing off 'outside' rule and going for their own
    independence.
    GraB, Oct 8, 2005
  13. Thor

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:28:48 +1300, Rob J <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> > Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd

    >> > I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

    >> Taiwan claimed for many years to be the legitimate goverment of China...and
    >> the Taiwanese legislature was populated by MPs, last elected prior to the
    >> revolution, from regions all over China.
    >>
    >> Taiwan is the "Republic of China".
    >>
    >> China is the "People's Republic of China".
    >>
    >> About 29 countries recognise Taiwan as "China"....mainly tiny countries that
    >> get a healthy dose of foreign aid from Taiwan.

    >Countries that are not kowtowing to Beijing - good on them.
    >
    >Practically everyone else has bowed to threats, blandishments and bribes
    >from the PRC.

    That's one way of putting it. Another way is that they very
    sensibly bowed to the inevitable. Beijing is the de facto and de
    jure capital of China, and all your moaning isn't going to change
    that.

    And if the Chinese government were to make you the proverbial
    "offer that you can't refuse", you would jump at it like the good
    little capitalist you pretend to be.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand
    Brian Dooley, Oct 8, 2005
  14. In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:42:36 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> GraB <> wrote:

    >>>Not quite the same.

    >>Why not?

    >Totally different situation. For one thing the Communist Chinese
    >weren't throwing off 'outside' rule and going for their own
    >independence.

    The Chinese had just been through a bit of a war of independence against
    the Colonialist Japanese, didn't they? And before that against the
    British and other Western powers, didn't they?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2005
  15. Thor

    steve Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > China's claim that Taiwan is just a province of China is invalid as
    > the legitimate government of China were forced to retreat to Taiwan by
    > the communists, who never took Taiwan.  Many countries, like NZ, are
    > being forced to recognise China as legitimate and accept China's 'one
    > China' policy, as PM Clark has done, to get access to China's large
    > markets.  In a way it sucks.

    To be fair, It was Norman Kirk's Labour government that first recognised
    Beijing as the capital of one China........in 1972.

    US President Nixon and the US followed on shortly after in the same year.
    steve, Oct 8, 2005
  16. Thor

    steve Guest

    Rob J wrote:

    > Countries that are not kowtowing to Beijing - good on them.

    Fair enough.

    > Practically everyone else has bowed to threats, blandishments and bribes
    > from the PRC.

    They want to make money. They are supported by political parties backed by
    people whose primary focus is money - not human rights or democracy.
    steve, Oct 8, 2005
  17. Thor

    steve Guest

    Brian Dooley wrote:

    > That's one way of putting it. Another way is that they very
    > sensibly bowed to the inevitable. Beijing is the de facto and de
    > jure capital of China, and all your moaning isn't going to change
    > that.
    >
    > And if the Chinese government were to make you the proverbial
    > "offer that you can't refuse", you would jump at it like the good
    > little capitalist you pretend to be.

    A caustic post for you, Brian.

    Yuo'll be killfiling yourself shortly!

    :)
    steve, Oct 8, 2005
  18. Thor

    GraB Guest

    >>>Why not?

    >>Totally different situation. For one thing the Communist Chinese
    >>weren't throwing off 'outside' rule and going for their own
    >>independence.

    >The Chinese had just been through a bit of a war of independence against
    >the Colonialist Japanese, didn't they? And before that against the
    >British and other Western powers, didn't they?

    China was not a colony of Japan. Japan set up Manchuria as a country,
    recognised only by Japan, Germany and Italy, but that returned to
    China after invasion by the Soviets.

    China at the time of domination by Western powers was a politically
    fragmented country, much under control of warlords, with an
    inefficient outmoded and cumbersome government. It was never the plan
    of the Western powers to hold China as a colony. The only real
    colonies were those set up by Britain and Portugal (Hong Kong and
    Macau). There was no war of independence against the Western powers.

    When the Communists went on their campaign to take China by force of
    arms China was under the government of Chang Kai-shek. This
    government retreated to Taiwan (which the communists failed to take)
    where it remained.

    No government in America 'retreated to Canada'. After the British
    surrendered to American revolutionaries who were allied by the French,
    loyalists emigrated to Canada.
    GraB, Oct 8, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >Rob J wrote:
    >
    >> Practically everyone else has bowed to threats, blandishments and bribes
    >> from the PRC.

    >They want to make money. They are supported by political parties backed by
    >people whose primary focus is money - not human rights or democracy.

    And it is their democratic right to focus on money, not on human rights,
    is it not?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2005
  20. In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    >>>Totally different situation. For one thing the Communist Chinese
    >>>weren't throwing off 'outside' rule and going for their own
    >>>independence.

    >>The Chinese had just been through a bit of a war of independence against
    >>the Colonialist Japanese, didn't they? And before that against the
    >>British and other Western powers, didn't they?

    >China was not a colony of Japan. Japan set up Manchuria as a country,
    >recognised only by Japan, Germany and Italy, but that returned to
    >China after invasion by the Soviets.
    >
    >China at the time of domination by Western powers was a politically
    >fragmented country, much under control of warlords, with an
    >inefficient outmoded and cumbersome government.

    I thought you said it was a "legitimate" government.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2005