    capabilities are greater.

    please feel free to post pros and cons for both.

    thanks....
    joe mama, Sep 14, 2006

  2. joe mama

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "joe mama" <> writes:
    > i have older nikon glass (AIS) so i know the d100 won't meter fo these, but
    > the d1 will. my main concern with the d1 is the megapixel size. 2.7???
    >
    > is that even useable nowadays? i mean, i might want an occasional 8x12,

    Pixels were pixels when the D1 came out and pixels are still pixels.

    Professionals made 11x17 and bigger with 2.7 megapixel D1 shots.
    And one of the first quality consumer digicams was the Coolpix 900,
    which was 1.3 megapixels. Professionals praised the 8x10's that it made.
    This myth of needing 5+ megapixels for an 8x12 is pure marketing hype.

    However, in other respects, the D1 is a kludgy tank by today's
    standards, its user interface had weirdness, and many units had color
    problems with purple, or banding problems. You might look for a D1H
    which was sort of an upgraded D1.

    I don't see much point to a D100 since you can get a D70 for about the
    same price. Neither one of them will meter with your AIS lenses
    though.
    Paul Rubin, Sep 14, 2006

  3. joe mama

    acl Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "joe mama" <> writes:
    >>i have older nikon glass (AIS) so i know the d100 won't meter fo these, but
    >>the d1 will. my main concern with the d1 is the megapixel size. 2.7???
    >>
    >>is that even useable nowadays? i mean, i might want an occasional 8x12,

    > Pixels were pixels when the D1 came out and pixels are still pixels.
    >
    > Professionals made 11x17 and bigger with 2.7 megapixel D1 shots.
    > And one of the first quality consumer digicams was the Coolpix 900,
    > which was 1.3 megapixels. Professionals praised the 8x10's that it made.
    > This myth of needing 5+ megapixels for an 8x12 is pure marketing hype.

    Well, it's true that 20x30cm (8x12 inches) with eg 4mp looks fine from
    some distance, but whether or not it is acceptable depends on the
    person. I'd suggest (to the OP) to download some images from the
    internet (eg from camera tests) at various resolutions and print them
    out at the size he's interested in. Or downsize a 10mp one to various
    sizes, but then he must know what he's doing to avoid creating artifacts.

    Listening to people's opinions on this will just confuse the issue, as
    everybody has different definitions of "acceptable". Eg at the nikon
    forum at dpreview one will find out that the 4mp D2h produces better
    prints than the 10mp D200 at eg 11x17 inches (well some also insist
    20x30 inches looks great). Elsewhere, one hears that at 8x12 inches, the
    resolution difference between the Nikon D200 (10mp) and Canon 5D (12mp)
    is huge (even at ISO 100). Clearly, something is fishy here.

    To reiterate: print out and see for yourself, but make sure you process
    everything equally well.

    acl, Sep 14, 2006
  4. joe mama

    jeremy Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message

    > Professionals made 11x17 and bigger with 2.7 megapixel D1 shots.
    > And one of the first quality consumer digicams was the Coolpix 900,
    > which was 1.3 megapixels. Professionals praised the 8x10's that it made.
    > This myth of needing 5+ megapixels for an 8x12 is pure marketing hype.

    A 2.3 MP camera can produce a 4 x 6 at 300 dpi. To produce an 8 x 10 while
    maintaining 300 dpi would require over 7 MP.

    Sure you can do an 8 x 10 with a Coolpix 900's 1.3 MP, and it will look okay
    from a few feet away, but it will not have the resolution of a 7 MP camera.

    As for those "pros" that were making 11 x 17 prints from D1s, about how
    many of them are still doing that? How many "pros" continue to ise the D1
    as their main camera anymore?
    jeremy, Sep 14, 2006
  5. joe mama

    Roy G Guest

    > "joe mama" <> writes:
    >> i have older nikon glass (AIS) so i know the d100 won't meter fo these,
    >> but
    >> the d1 will. my main concern with the d1 is the megapixel size. 2.7???
    >>
    >> is that even useable nowadays? i mean, i might want an occasional 8x12,

    > Pixels were pixels when the D1 came out and pixels are still pixels.
    >
    > Professionals made 11x17 and bigger with 2.7 megapixel D1 shots.
    > And one of the first quality consumer digicams was the Coolpix 900,
    > which was 1.3 megapixels. Professionals praised the 8x10's that it made.
    > This myth of needing 5+ megapixels for an 8x12 is pure marketing hype.
    >
    > However, in other respects, the D1 is a kludgy tank by today's
    > standards, its user interface had weirdness, and many units had color
    > problems with purple, or banding problems. You might look for a D1H
    > which was sort of an upgraded D1.
    >
    > I don't see much point to a D100 since you can get a D70 for about the
    > same price. Neither one of them will meter with your AIS lenses
    > though.

    Hi.

    The D80, D70, D50 & D100 will not meter with AI lenses. That may or may not
    be a major problem depending on how you work.

    You can check the Histogram immediately after taking a shot, so you would
    know whether the exposure was accurate or not.

    If you tend to take your time over your shooting, then this is not a
    problem.

    The new D200 will meter with AIs, but is of course considerably more
    expensive, and probably won't be available second hand for some time yet.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Sep 15, 2006