    serious eating.

    <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry.htm>

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 17, 2008

  2. Rita Berkowitz

    George Kerby Guest

    On 2/17/08 8:12 AM, in article , "Rita
    Berkowitz" <> wrote:

    > Yes folks, the D3 was clearly out of its element in a buffet line, but it
    > was able to capture the motley cast of characters you find frequenting these
    > places. This particular chap really made it known that was here to do some
    > serious eating.
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry.htm>
    >

    > Rita

    Looks like he ate the site. Rita, you are too much a cheap shit to get a
    *real* posting site, aren't you?

    George Kerby, Feb 17, 2008

  3. Rita Berkowitz

    PixelPix Guest

    On Feb 18, 12:12 am, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    > Yes folks, the D3 was clearly out of its element in a buffet line, but it
    > was able to capture the motley cast of characters you find frequenting these
    > places.  This particular chap really made it known that was here to do some
    > serious eating.
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry.htm>
    >
    > Rita

    Possibly your best image posted here ever IMO. Composition is good,
    but the bokeh is distracting. Highlights are blown also, perhaps
    they can be recovered with a little tweaking?

    PixelPix, Feb 17, 2008
  4. Rita Berkowitz

    Douglas Guest

    On Feb 18, 6:42 am, PixelPix <> wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 12:12 am, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes folks, the D3 was clearly out of its element in a buffet line, but it
    > > was able to capture the motley cast of characters you find frequenting these
    > > places. This particular chap really made it known that was here to do some
    > > serious eating.

    > > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry.htm>

    > > Rita

    > Possibly your best image posted here ever IMO. Composition is good,
    > but the bokeh is distracting. Highlights are blown also, perhaps
    > they can be recovered with a little tweaking?

    This surely isn't THE Russell?
    Tweaking? Best image - from Rita?

    Naw... Clearly you missed his dog portraits. And let's not overlook
    Rita's doctrine of doing it in the camera, not Photoshop.

    Send me some of that stuff you're sniffing Rus. Seems like it could
    even make Mark's pictures look half decent!

    Douglas, Feb 17, 2008
  5. PixelPix wrote:

    >> Yes folks, the D3 was clearly out of its element in a buffet line,
    >> but it was able to capture the motley cast of characters you find
    >> frequenting these places. This particular chap really made it known
    >> that was here to do some serious eating.
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry.htm>

    > Possibly your best image posted here ever IMO. Composition is good,
    > but the bokeh is distracting. Highlights are blown also, perhaps
    > they can be recovered with a little tweaking?

    Thanks. Nothing I can do about the bokeh other than adding a bit of
    "Tennessee Bokeh" to the mix with CS3, which I really hate doing. I'll have
    to explore tweaking the highlights.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 17, 2008
  6. Douglas wrote:

    > Naw... Clearly you missed his dog portraits. And let's not overlook
    > Rita's doctrine of doing it in the camera, not Photoshop.

    I can post some more puppy pics if you want? Anyway, there is no Photoshop
    done to that pic and it is just resized for web. It shouldn't be that hard
    to correct the blown highlights in Photoshop? I'll have to give it a shot
    when I get some extra time.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 17, 2008
  7. "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    > Douglas wrote:
    >
    >> Naw... Clearly you missed his dog portraits. And let's not overlook
    >> Rita's doctrine of doing it in the camera, not Photoshop.

    At the rate miniaturization is taking place, it won't be too very long
    before they can install a, "Photoshop chip" inside most DSLR's so you will
    be able to do everything you can do with Photoshop right now right inside
    the camera.

    William Graham, Feb 18, 2008
  8. "William Graham" <> wrote in message

    > "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    >> Douglas wrote:
    >>
    >>> Naw... Clearly you missed his dog portraits. And let's not overlook
    >>> Rita's doctrine of doing it in the camera, not Photoshop.

    > At the rate miniaturization is taking place, it won't be too very long
    > before they can install a, "Photoshop chip" inside most DSLR's so you will
    > be able to do everything you can do with Photoshop right now right inside
    > the camera.

    for that to happen will require the screens on those cameras to be much
    larger than they are today, making the camera bulkier in the process.
    I don't ever see this happening, but I do expect a lot more in camera
    processing to be done on the fly, especially in the higher end P&S cameras.

    Don Hirschberg

    Atheist Chaplain, Feb 18, 2008
  9. "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote in message
    > "William Graham" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message

    >> At the rate miniaturization is taking place, it won't be too very long
    >> before they can install a, "Photoshop chip" inside most DSLR's so you
    >> will be able to do everything you can do with Photoshop right now right
    >> inside the camera.
    >>

    > for that to happen will require the screens on those cameras to be much
    > larger than they are today, making the camera bulkier in the process.
    > I don't ever see this happening, but I do expect a lot more in camera
    > processing to be done on the fly, especially in the higher end P&S
    > cameras.

    But I just dozed off, and had a dream....I was looking through a tiny peep
    hole in the back of my camera, and I saw a huge color display that was as
    large as my computer screen......Now if I just had a mouse controller that
    would move the little arrow around......Maybe I'll go back to sleep........

    William Graham, Feb 18, 2008
  10. "William Graham" <> wrote in message

    > "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote in message
    >> "William Graham" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message

    >>> At the rate miniaturization is taking place, it won't be too very long
    >>> before they can install a, "Photoshop chip" inside most DSLR's so you
    >>> will be able to do everything you can do with Photoshop right now right
    >>> inside the camera.
    >>>

    >> for that to happen will require the screens on those cameras to be much
    >> larger than they are today, making the camera bulkier in the process.
    >> I don't ever see this happening, but I do expect a lot more in camera
    >> processing to be done on the fly, especially in the higher end P&S
    >> cameras.

    > But I just dozed off, and had a dream....I was looking through a tiny peep
    > hole in the back of my camera, and I saw a huge color display that was as
    > large as my computer screen......Now if I just had a mouse controller that
    > would move the little arrow around......Maybe I'll go back to
    > sleep........

    keep dreaming then :)
    Its all about pixels and the bigger the number the better, your just not
    going to get monitor type resolution regardless of the magnification
    trickery you try :)

    --
    God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

    Atheist Chaplain, Feb 18, 2008
  11. Rita Berkowitz

    Paul Furman Guest

    William Graham wrote:
    > "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote in message
    >> "William Graham" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message

    >>> At the rate miniaturization is taking place, it won't be too very long
    >>> before they can install a, "Photoshop chip" inside most DSLR's so you
    >>> will be able to do everything you can do with Photoshop right now right
    >>> inside the camera.
    >>>

    >> for that to happen will require the screens on those cameras to be much
    >> larger than they are today, making the camera bulkier in the process.
    >> I don't ever see this happening, but I do expect a lot more in camera
    >> processing to be done on the fly, especially in the higher end P&S
    >> cameras.

    > But I just dozed off, and had a dream....I was looking through a tiny peep
    > hole in the back of my camera, and I saw a huge color display that was as
    > large as my computer screen......Now if I just had a mouse controller that
    > would move the little arrow around......Maybe I'll go back to sleep........

    I think we will see that soon.

    Paul Furman, Feb 18, 2008
  12. Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >William Graham wrote:
    >>>
    >>> for that to happen will require the screens on those
    >>> cameras to be much larger than they are today, making
    >>> the camera bulkier in the process.
    >>> I don't ever see this happening, but I do expect a
    >>> lot more in camera processing to be done on the fly,
    >>> especially in the higher end P&S cameras.

    >> But I just dozed off, and had a dream....I was looking
    >> through a tiny peep hole in the back of my camera, and
    >> I saw a huge color display that was as large as my
    >> computer screen......Now if I just had a mouse
    >> controller that would move the little arrow
    >> around......Maybe I'll go back to sleep........

    >I think we will see that soon.

    There is also no reason that a camera cannot have an
    outbound USB port, to which a hub can be connected to
    allow use of a full sized keyboard, a mouse and a pair
    of 21 inch LCD displays, not to mention a 500Gb hard
    disk.

    It may not be "soon enough", but I agree that "soon" is
    probably a good description of the time table...

    (It'll run Linux though, so forget about Photoshop and
    start thinking about The GIMP.)

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Feb 18, 2008
  13. William Graham wrote:

    >> Douglas wrote:
    >>
    >>> Naw... Clearly you missed his dog portraits. And let's not overlook
    >>> Rita's doctrine of doing it in the camera, not Photoshop.

    > At the rate miniaturization is taking place, it won't be too very long
    > before they can install a, "Photoshop chip" inside most DSLR's so you
    > will be able to do everything you can do with Photoshop right now
    > right inside the camera.

    I'm not looking forward to that day since it will no longer be a camera nor
    will it be considered photography. I'm sure you are right though. I can
    see them making provisions to plug in a touch screen LCD monitor that
    doubles as a tablet.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 18, 2008
  14. Rita Berkowitz

    Guest

    Nice shot. But.. the highlights are lost again - can Rita not get
    better results from raw, or shoot a little under-exposed?

    This problem appears to be a 'trait' of this camera, or is it just his
    style? It rang a loud bell, so I did a quick search on Rita" and
    "blown"... ooops, then I had to add the word "highlights", and these
    popped up:

    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/double_stick.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/pinch.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/the_duel.htm

    Is there a trend here? I guess it's an artistic choice! So just
    forget anyone brought it up. But in general terms, getting the
    exposure right is pretty basic stuff...

    The central composition is ok, but by cropping to the left that twig
    could be made less distracting, and the bird would have a bit more
    room to look.. From an equipment point of view, no-one has mentioned
    what appears to be flare in the lower centre of the image - look at
    his tail and the middle of the branch. Maybe it is just the lighting?

    But don't get me wrong, it's a nice shot to look at. And the bokeh
    isn't as bad as some Rita has posted.

    , Feb 18, 2008
  15. wrote:

    > From an equipment point of view, no-one has mentioned
    > what appears to be flare in the lower centre of the image - look at
    > his tail and the middle of the branch. Maybe it is just the lighting?

    No flare or equipment problems, just shooting between branches. The
    Formidable 500 cuts through the branches and makes them almost disappear.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 18, 2008
  16. "Floyd L. Davidson" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >>William Graham wrote:

    >>> But I just dozed off, and had a dream....I was looking
    >>> through a tiny peep hole in the back of my camera, and
    >>> I saw a huge color display that was as large as my
    >>> computer screen......Now if I just had a mouse
    >>> controller that would move the little arrow
    >>> around......Maybe I'll go back to sleep........

    >>I think we will see that soon.

    > There is also no reason that a camera cannot have an
    > outbound USB port, to which a hub can be connected to
    > allow use of a full sized keyboard, a mouse and a pair
    > of 21 inch LCD displays, not to mention a 500Gb hard
    > disk.

    it all already exists, its called a computer.

    but you knew that already ;-)

    Atheist Chaplain, Feb 18, 2008
  17. "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    > William Graham wrote:

    >> At the rate miniaturization is taking place, it won't be too very long
    >> before they can install a, "Photoshop chip" inside most DSLR's so you
    >> will be able to do everything you can do with Photoshop right now
    >> right inside the camera.

    > I'm not looking forward to that day since it will no longer be a camera
    > nor
    > will it be considered photography. I'm sure you are right though. I can
    > see them making provisions to plug in a touch screen LCD monitor that
    > doubles as a tablet.

    you mean like a Laptop or Notebook computer...................

    --
    God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

    Atheist Chaplain, Feb 18, 2008
  18. "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote:
    >"Floyd L. Davidson" <> wrote in message
    >> Paul Furman <> wrote:

    >>>I think we will see that soon.

    >> There is also no reason that a camera cannot have an
    >> outbound USB port, to which a hub can be connected to
    >> allow use of a full sized keyboard, a mouse and a pair
    >> of 21 inch LCD displays, not to mention a 500Gb hard
    >> disk.
    >>

    >it all already exists, its called a computer.
    >
    >but you knew that already ;-)

    The cameras in computers aren't SLRs. The computers
    in SLRs aren't general purpose. Yet...

    They will be, "soon".

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Feb 18, 2008
  19. Rita Berkowitz

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Feb 18, 5:39 am, wrote:
    > Nice shot.  But.. the highlights are lost again - can Rita not get
    > better results from raw, or shoot a little under-exposed?

    Highlights ain't the only thing Rita likes to blow.

    Annika1980, Feb 18, 2008
  20. Atheist Chaplain wrote:

    >>> At the rate miniaturization is taking place, it won't be too very
    >>> long before they can install a, "Photoshop chip" inside most DSLR's
    >>> so you will be able to do everything you can do with Photoshop
    >>> right now right inside the camera.

    >> I'm not looking forward to that day since it will no longer be a
    >> camera nor
    >> will it be considered photography. I'm sure you are right though.
    >> I can see them making provisions to plug in a touch screen LCD
    >> monitor that doubles as a tablet.

    > you mean like a Laptop or Notebook computer...................

    NO! I can do that now with Capture Control2

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 18, 2008