    --
    Akin

    (aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)

    Epetruk, Oct 22, 2006

  2. Epetruk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Canon digital camera which seems not to allow pictures to be
    > taken while it is attached to the USB port of a Windows XP computer.
    > Is this a usual state of affairs, i.e. should I not be able to take
    > pictures with a digital camera while it is attached to the USB port?
    > I've tried this on another camera, and it seems to let me do so. Or
    > is there some setting on a camera that stops it from taking pictures
    > while it is attached to the USB port?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    Some of the early digital cameras, such as the Kodak DCS280, allowed you to
    set up, change the shooting parameters, and capture images whist connected
    to a USB port, but the practice seems to have been discontiued.

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 22, 2006

  3. Epetruk

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:07:21 +0100, Epetruk wrote:

    > I have a Canon digital camera which seems not to allow pictures to be taken
    > while it is attached to the USB port of a Windows XP computer. Is this a
    > usual state of affairs, i.e. should I not be able to take pictures with a
    > digital camera while it is attached to the USB port? I've tried this on
    > another camera, and it seems to let me do so. Or is there some setting on a
    > camera that stops it from taking pictures while it is attached to the USB
    > port?

    Check the camera's power requirements when operated from a
    transformer (wall wart). Many of them require a much larger current
    when the camera is used to take pictures than when it is only used
    to review pictures, and this current is often greater than the
    amount that the USB is specified to provide. I don't recall exactly
    what the USB limit is, but think it's probably about 500ma, and
    that's shared by all devices plugged into the USB.

    ASAAR, Oct 22, 2006
  4. Epetruk

    Epetruk Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:07:21 +0100, Epetruk wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Canon digital camera which seems not to allow pictures to be

    taken
    > > while it is attached to the USB port of a Windows XP computer. Is this a
    > > usual state of affairs, i.e. should I not be able to take pictures with

    > > digital camera while it is attached to the USB port? I've tried this on
    > > another camera, and it seems to let me do so. Or is there some setting

    on a
    > > camera that stops it from taking pictures while it is attached to the

    USB
    > > port?

    > Check the camera's power requirements when operated from a
    > transformer (wall wart). Many of them require a much larger current
    > when the camera is used to take pictures than when it is only used
    > to review pictures, and this current is often greater than the
    > amount that the USB is specified to provide. I don't recall exactly
    > what the USB limit is, but think it's probably about 500ma, and
    > that's shared by all devices plugged into the USB.

    Hi, and thanks for the response.

    I thought that even if the camera was connected to the USB port, it could
    still make use of the power supplied by the batteries? So then it wouldn't
    matter even if USB couldn't provide all the power the camera needed to take
    pics, because the camera would get this power from the batteries.

    Epetruk, Oct 22, 2006
  5. Epetruk

    Brian Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:07:21 +0100, "Epetruk" <>
    mentioned:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a Canon digital camera which seems not to allow pictures to be taken
    >while it is attached to the USB port of a Windows XP computer. Is this a
    >usual state of affairs, i.e. should I not be able to take pictures with a
    >digital camera while it is attached to the USB port? I've tried this on
    >another camera, and it seems to let me do so. Or is there some setting on a
    >camera that stops it from taking pictures while it is attached to the USB
    >port?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,

    You don't say which model you have, but there's certaily a Canon
    utility the lets you operate the DSLRs from your computer. Try the
    Canon site under support / downloads.

    Brian, Oct 22, 2006
  6. Epetruk

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:16:04 +0100, Epetruk wrote:

    > I thought that even if the camera was connected to the USB port, it could
    > still make use of the power supplied by the batteries? So then it wouldn't
    > matter even if USB couldn't provide all the power the camera needed to take
    > pics, because the camera would get this power from the batteries.

    That's possible, but perhaps the design goal is to use the USB
    connection primarily for transferring pictures to the computer, and
    if either the camera or the computer's USB port is v. 1.1 or v. 2.x
    Full Speed, the transfer rate would be slow enough to seriously
    deplete the batteries, and depending on the operation (MOVing vs
    COPYing) there would be the risk of losing pictures if the batteries
    died before the transfer completed. To eliminate this risk it's
    probably best to use the USB port's power only to transfer files.

    ASAAR, Oct 22, 2006
  7. Epetruk

    Dave Guest

    Re: Taking pictures with digital camera while it's attached to theUSB port

    Epetruk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Canon digital camera which seems not to allow pictures to be taken
    > while it is attached to the USB port of a Windows XP computer. Is this a
    > usual state of affairs, i.e. should I not be able to take pictures with a
    > digital camera while it is attached to the USB port? I've tried this on
    > another camera, and it seems to let me do so. Or is there some setting on a
    > camera that stops it from taking pictures while it is attached to the USB
    > port?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    Might be a silly question,but are you sure the camera isn't staying in
    "play" mode instead of "record" mode? My Canon has to be switched to
    "play" to show up with the USB connection...just a thought.

    Dave

    Dave, Oct 22, 2006
  8. Epetruk

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Epetruk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Canon digital camera which seems not to allow pictures to be taken
    > while it is attached to the USB port of a Windows XP computer. Is this a
    > usual state of affairs, i.e. should I not be able to take pictures with a
    > digital camera while it is attached to the USB port? I've tried this on
    > another camera, and it seems to let me do so. Or is there some setting on a
    > camera that stops it from taking pictures while it is attached to the USB
    > port?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    I'm not sure what you're asking. When the computer is seeing pictures on
    the camera you are in review mode. When you switch to take mode, the
    power goes off. You can switch it back on a take pictures with the usb
    cable plugged in. Maybe the other camera you looked at does things
    differently.
    Note, when using zoombrowser, which I no longer use, you can change
    camera settings such as date/time, user name from the computer. I forget
    what else it might let you do and that may be model specific anyway.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 22, 2006
  9. "Epetruk" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Canon digital camera which seems not to allow pictures to be

    taken
    > while it is attached to the USB port of a Windows XP computer. Is this a
    > usual state of affairs, i.e. should I not be able to take pictures with a
    > digital camera while it is attached to the USB port? I've tried this on
    > another camera, and it seems to let me do so. Or is there some setting on

    > camera that stops it from taking pictures while it is attached to the USB
    > port?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > --
    > Akin
    >
    > (aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)

    Hello Akin.

    I have an EOS350D (a.k.a. RebelXT) and ZoomBrowser software on an elderly
    laptop with USB 1.1 (or is it 1.2 .. anyway, it is slow).
    ZoomBrowser allows me to set and fire the 350D via its screen and get the
    resulting picture on the laptop.

    Regards, Ian.

    Fred Anonymous, Oct 22, 2006
  10. Epetruk

    Bill Funk Guest

    wrote:

    >"ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:07:21 +0100, Epetruk wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have a Canon digital camera which seems not to allow pictures to be

    >taken
    >> > while it is attached to the USB port of a Windows XP computer. Is this a
    >> > usual state of affairs, i.e. should I not be able to take pictures with

    >> > digital camera while it is attached to the USB port? I've tried this on
    >> > another camera, and it seems to let me do so. Or is there some setting

    >on a
    >> > camera that stops it from taking pictures while it is attached to the

    >USB
    >> > port?

    >> Check the camera's power requirements when operated from a
    >> transformer (wall wart). Many of them require a much larger current
    >> when the camera is used to take pictures than when it is only used
    >> to review pictures, and this current is often greater than the
    >> amount that the USB is specified to provide. I don't recall exactly
    >> what the USB limit is, but think it's probably about 500ma, and
    >> that's shared by all devices plugged into the USB.

    >Hi, and thanks for the response.
    >
    >I thought that even if the camera was connected to the USB port, it could
    >still make use of the power supplied by the batteries? So then it wouldn't
    >matter even if USB couldn't provide all the power the camera needed to take
    >pics, because the camera would get this power from the batteries.

    A question that may help to understand your question...
    Why do you need to take a picture while the camera (which camera?) is
    attached to the computer's USB port?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Oct 22, 2006
  11. Epetruk

    Epetruk Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:16:04 +0100, "Epetruk" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"ASAAR" <> wrote in message

    > >taken

    this a

    with

    on

    setting
    > >on a

    > >USB
    > >>
    > >> Check the camera's power requirements when operated from a
    > >> transformer (wall wart). Many of them require a much larger current
    > >> when the camera is used to take pictures than when it is only used
    > >> to review pictures, and this current is often greater than the
    > >> amount that the USB is specified to provide. I don't recall exactly
    > >> what the USB limit is, but think it's probably about 500ma, and
    > >> that's shared by all devices plugged into the USB.

    > >Hi, and thanks for the response.
    > >
    > >I thought that even if the camera was connected to the USB port, it could
    > >still make use of the power supplied by the batteries? So then it

    wouldn't
    > >matter even if USB couldn't provide all the power the camera needed to

    take
    > >pics, because the camera would get this power from the batteries.

    > A question that may help to understand your question...
    > Why do you need to take a picture while the camera (which camera?) is
    > attached to the computer's USB port?

    Hi Bill,

    We're working on an application that uses a digital camera to capture
    pictures of a person, then saves the picture to a file.

    It would certainly be possible to take the picture while the camera is
    disconnected then connect the camera and then save the picture to a file,
    but if this had to happen for several persons, it would be tiresome to
    disconnect and reconnect the camera everytime.

    I hope this helps you understand better why I asked the original question.

    Thanks,

    Epetruk, Oct 22, 2006
  12. Epetruk

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:59:22 +0100, "Epetruk" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:16:04 +0100, "Epetruk" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"ASAAR" <> wrote in message

    >> >taken

    >this a

    >with

    >on

    >setting
    >> >on a
    >> >USB

    >> >Hi, and thanks for the response.
    >> >
    >> >I thought that even if the camera was connected to the USB port, it could
    >> >still make use of the power supplied by the batteries? So then it

    >wouldn't
    >> >matter even if USB couldn't provide all the power the camera needed to

    >take
    >> >pics, because the camera would get this power from the batteries.

    >> A question that may help to understand your question...
    >> Why do you need to take a picture while the camera (which camera?) is
    >> attached to the computer's USB port?

    >Hi Bill,
    >
    >We're working on an application that uses a digital camera to capture
    >pictures of a person, then saves the picture to a file.
    >
    >It would certainly be possible to take the picture while the camera is
    >disconnected then connect the camera and then save the picture to a file,
    >but if this had to happen for several persons, it would be tiresome to
    >disconnect and reconnect the camera everytime.
    >
    >I hope this helps you understand better why I asked the original question.
    >
    >Thanks,

    There should have been software in the camera's box that would let you
    connect the camera, and control it from the computer. No?
    If not, see if the Canon USA site has it under support.
    If you're trying to fire the camera by pressing the camera's shutter
    release and somehow get the image to the camera with no other work, I
    don't think it works that way.
    It might help to know which Canon camera you have.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Oct 22, 2006
  13. Epetruk

    Epetruk Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > Bill Funk wrote:
    > > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:59:22 +0100, "Epetruk" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > There should have been software in the camera's box that would let you
    > > connect the camera, and control it from the computer. No?
    > > If not, see if the Canon USA site has it under support.
    > > If you're trying to fire the camera by pressing the camera's shutter
    > > release and somehow get the image to the camera with no other work, I
    > > don't think it works that way.
    > > It might help to know which Canon camera you have.

    > Sounds like shooting "tethered" is what you want. The camera model and
    > version of Canon software and OS are helpful
    >
    > f-u set.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Hello John,

    I made a mistake - the camera model is actually an Olympus (mu) Digital 500
    camera.

    And yes, you're right - I want to find out about taking pictured with
    tethered cameras (I didn't know that was the phrase for it).

    Epetruk, Oct 22, 2006
  14. Epetruk

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Epetruk wrote:
    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >> Bill Funk wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:59:22 +0100, "Epetruk" <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> There should have been software in the camera's box that would let you
    >>> connect the camera, and control it from the computer. No?
    >>> If not, see if the Canon USA site has it under support.
    >>> If you're trying to fire the camera by pressing the camera's shutter
    >>> release and somehow get the image to the camera with no other work, I
    >>> don't think it works that way.
    >>> It might help to know which Canon camera you have.

    >> Sounds like shooting "tethered" is what you want. The camera model and
    >> version of Canon software and OS are helpful
    >>
    >> f-u set.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John McWilliams

    > Hello John,
    >
    > I made a mistake - the camera model is actually an Olympus (mu) Digital 500
    > camera.
    >
    > And yes, you're right - I want to find out about taking pictured with
    > tethered cameras (I didn't know that was the phrase for it).

    Hi...

    Do a google for pine tree computing; they make what you're looking
    for to control your Olympus camera.

    Take care

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Oct 22, 2006
  15. Epetruk

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:08:15 +0100, "Epetruk" <>
    wrote:

    >"John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >> Bill Funk wrote:
    >> > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:59:22 +0100, "Epetruk" <>
    >> > wrote:
    >> >
    >> > There should have been software in the camera's box that would let you
    >> > connect the camera, and control it from the computer. No?
    >> > If not, see if the Canon USA site has it under support.
    >> > If you're trying to fire the camera by pressing the camera's shutter
    >> > release and somehow get the image to the camera with no other work, I
    >> > don't think it works that way.
    >> > It might help to know which Canon camera you have.

    >> Sounds like shooting "tethered" is what you want. The camera model and
    >> version of Canon software and OS are helpful
    >>
    >> f-u set.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John McWilliams

    >Hello John,
    >
    >I made a mistake - the camera model is actually an Olympus (mu) Digital 500
    >camera.
    >
    >And yes, you're right - I want to find out about taking pictured with
    >tethered cameras (I didn't know that was the phrase for it).

    There wasn't software in the box to do that?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Oct 22, 2006
  16. Epetruk

    David Harmon Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:16:04 +0100 in rec.photo.digital, "Epetruk"
    <> wrote,
    >I thought that even if the camera was connected to the USB port, it could
    >still make use of the power supplied by the batteries? So then it wouldn't
    >matter even if USB couldn't provide all the power the camera needed to take
    >pics, because the camera would get this power from the batteries.

    You might think so. In practice, this would lead to thousands of
    complaints and support calls along the lines of "My camera was
    getting power from the USB port, so why are my batteries dead now?"

    David Harmon, Oct 23, 2006