taking picture of police car

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by couss, Dec 28, 2006.

  1. couss

    couss Guest

    Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street. A police car
    stopped and the policemen walked away from it. I looked inside their locked
    car; there was an LCD screen there. The message on the screen said that
    there was a strange man on the loose, and there was a name and address of
    the guy who reported it. Obviously the policemen went on the look for the
    man on the loose. I thought that it must be a violation of some rules
    because they left this information for everybody to see. I reasoned that the
    car was in the public domain and I could take a picture of it; so I snapped
    the image of the LCD screen with my digital camera which I happen to have on
    me. I wanted to see later at home the layout of the GUI of their job
    despatching software.

    The policeman happened to see it. He told me to give him my digital camera.
    I tried to reason that it was in public and thus I could take a picture of
    it. The policman still insisted, and I gave him the camera, so that he
    deleted the picture of the LCD screen inside of his car. After that, he
    asked me to show him my driving licence, and scribbled down my name and
    address into his notebook.

    I hate when other people impose their will on me and mock at me, and I
    cannot do anything about it. I was upset. Later I realised that the policman
    might've been in violation of the law (i.e., exposing the confidential
    information to the public), and he was trying to protect himself from the
    possibility of this becoming known to his bosses, so that I might've had an
    upper hand over him; I just could tell him to piss off. Could I ? Also, can
    I reject to show my ID to the police ? I suppose they have no right to
    demand from the public members to show their IDs for no sufficient reason.

    Thanks for your considerations/advices.
     
    couss, Dec 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. couss

    Salty Guest

    couss wrote:
    > Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street. A police car
    > stopped and the policemen walked away from it. I looked inside their locked
    > car; there was an LCD screen there. The message on the screen said that
    > there was a strange man on the loose, and there was a name and address of
    > the guy who reported it.


    oops! Shouldn't have done that. People who do that disappear, never to
    be heard from again.

    Obviously the policemen went on the look for the
    > man on the loose. I thought that it must be a violation of some rules
    > because they left this information for everybody to see.


    "Everybody" doesn't invade other people's privacy. You couldn't read an
    LCD screen unless you went up very close and deliberately tried to spy.

    I reasoned that the
    > car was in the public domain and I could take a picture of it;


    Being parked in public view has NOTHING to do with being in the public
    domain. You should do a little research.

    so I snapped
    > the image of the LCD screen with my digital camera which I happen to have on
    > me. I wanted to see later at home the layout of the GUI of their job
    > despatching software.


    Why? Are you a criminal?

    >
    > The policeman happened to see it. He told me to give him my digital camera.
    > I tried to reason that it was in public and thus I could take a picture of
    > it. The policman still insisted, and I gave him the camera, so that he
    > deleted the picture of the LCD screen inside of his car. After that, he
    > asked me to show him my driving licence, and scribbled down my name and
    > address into his notebook.


    That's so he knows where to find you later.

    >
    > I hate when other people impose their will on me and mock at me, and I
    > cannot do anything about it.


    Happens a lot does it? I can understand that.

    I was upset. Later I realised that the policman
    > might've been in violation of the law (i.e., exposing the confidential
    > information to the public), and he was trying to protect himself from the
    > possibility of this becoming known to his bosses, so that I might've had an
    > upper hand over him; I just could tell him to piss off. Could I ?


    No, you're not big enough. Telling someone to piss off when you are a
    wimp is not a very bright thing to do.

    Also, can
    > I reject to show my ID to the police ? I suppose they have no right to
    > demand from the public members to show their IDs for no sufficient reason.


    They have every right. They make the rules.

    >
    > Thanks for your considerations/advices.


    My advice is to hide, to run away, to leave town before they come
    looking for you. They will probably come in the middle of the night,
    arrest you and then shoot you and claim that you were trying to escape.

    Goodbye.

    Where should we send the flowers?

    Salty
     
    Salty, Dec 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. couss

    Otter Guest

    "couss" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street. A police
    > car
    > stopped and the policemen walked away from it. I looked inside their
    > locked
    > car; there was an LCD screen there. The message on the screen said that
    > there was a strange man on the loose, and there was a name and address of
    > the guy who reported it. Obviously the policemen went on the look for the
    > man on the loose. I thought that it must be a violation of some rules
    > because they left this information for everybody to see. I reasoned that
    > the
    > car was in the public domain and I could take a picture of it; so I
    > snapped
    > the image of the LCD screen with my digital camera which I happen to have
    > on
    > me. I wanted to see later at home the layout of the GUI of their job
    > despatching software.
    >
    > The policeman happened to see it. He told me to give him my digital
    > camera.
    > I tried to reason that it was in public and thus I could take a picture of
    > it. The policman still insisted, and I gave him the camera, so that he
    > deleted the picture of the LCD screen inside of his car. After that, he
    > asked me to show him my driving licence, and scribbled down my name and
    > address into his notebook.
    >
    > I hate when other people impose their will on me and mock at me, and I
    > cannot do anything about it. I was upset. Later I realised that the
    > policman
    > might've been in violation of the law (i.e., exposing the confidential
    > information to the public),


    Might well be in breach of the relevant police standing orders, a
    disciplinary offence.

    > and he was trying to protect himself from the
    > possibility of this becoming known to his bosses,


    Very likely.

    > so that I might've had an
    > upper hand over him; I just could tell him to piss off. Could I ?


    Yes, in theory.

    > Also, can
    > I reject to show my ID to the police ?


    Yes, in theory.

    > I suppose they have no right to
    > demand from the public members to show their IDs for no sufficient reason.


    Correct, in this instance.

    > Thanks for your considerations/advices.


    Police are not hired for their social graces. They are trained, if they
    need training, in intimidating the punters.
     
    Otter, Dec 28, 2006
    #3
  4. couss

    o?o Guest

    "Salty" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > couss wrote:
    >
    > Also, can
    >> I reject to show my ID to the police ? I suppose they have no right to
    >> demand from the public members to show their IDs for no sufficient
    >> reason.

    >
    > They have every right. They make the rules.
    >


    Some of them might like to think so, however I can assure you they most
    certainly do not.

    HTH
     
    o?o, Dec 28, 2006
    #4
  5. couss

    Salty Guest

    o?o wrote:
    > "Salty" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> couss wrote:
    >>
    >> Also, can
    >>> I reject to show my ID to the police ? I suppose they have no right to
    >>> demand from the public members to show their IDs for no sufficient
    >>> reason.

    >> They have every right. They make the rules.
    >>

    >
    > Some of them might like to think so, however I can assure you they most
    > certainly do not.



    Your assurances didn't work. I remain unassured.

    Salty
     
    Salty, Dec 28, 2006
    #5
  6. On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:46:12 +1000, Salty wrote:


    >
    > I remain a fuckwit.
    >
    > Salty



    Agreed.
     
    You.are.a.fuckwit!, Dec 28, 2006
    #6
  7. couss

    Mike Russell Guest

    "couss" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street. A police
    > car
    > stopped and the policemen walked away from it. I looked inside their
    > locked
    > car; there was an LCD screen there. The message on the screen said that
    > there was a strange man on the loose, and there was a name and address of
    > the guy who reported it. Obviously the policemen went on the look for the
    > man on the loose. I thought that it must be a violation of some rules
    > because they left this information for everybody to see. I reasoned that
    > the
    > car was in the public domain and I could take a picture of it; so I
    > snapped
    > the image of the LCD screen with my digital camera ...


    Umm - good story, but I'm not buying it. pull the other one.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/
     
    Mike Russell, Dec 28, 2006
    #7
  8. couss

    Otter Guest

    "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message
    news:TsNkh.12147$...
    >
    > pull the other one.



    It will hurt.
     
    Otter, Dec 28, 2006
    #8
  9. couss

    Charles L Guest

    couss <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street. A police

    car
    > stopped and the policemen walked away from it. I looked inside their

    locked
    > car; there was an LCD screen there. The message on the screen said that
    > there was a strange man on the loose, and there was a name and address of
    > the guy who reported it. Obviously the policemen went on the look for the
    > man on the loose. I thought that it must be a violation of some rules
    > because they left this information for everybody to see. I reasoned that

    the
    > car was in the public domain and I could take a picture of it; so I

    snapped
    > the image of the LCD screen with my digital camera which I happen to have

    on
    > me. I wanted to see later at home the layout of the GUI of their job
    > despatching software.
    >
    > The policeman happened to see it. He told me to give him my digital

    camera.
    > I tried to reason that it was in public and thus I could take a picture of
    > it. The policman still insisted, and I gave him the camera, so that he
    > deleted the picture of the LCD screen inside of his car. After that, he
    > asked me to show him my driving licence, and scribbled down my name and
    > address into his notebook.
    >


    Ha ha ha! This story is a load of crap. The giveaway is saying that a
    policeman would know how to delete a picture from a digital camera.

    Charles L
     
    Charles L, Dec 28, 2006
    #9
  10. couss

    Blue Heeler Guest

    Charles L wrote:

    >
    > Ha ha ha! This story is a load of crap. The giveaway is saying that a
    > policeman would know how to delete a picture from a digital camera.
    >
    >


    Deleted by stomping on it or shooting it would have been more within
    expectations



    --
     
    Blue Heeler, Dec 28, 2006
    #10
  11. couss wrote:
    > Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street.


    Troll time.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
     
    Joseph Meehan, Dec 28, 2006
    #11
  12. couss

    Guest

    couss wrote:
    > Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street.


    First, your spelling of the word "centre" suggests you aren't
    American. If this took place in your homeland - which sounds like
    Britain, Canada, or Australia - American laws and the American
    constitution just don't apply. I don't have a clue what's legal in
    Britain, Canada, or Australia - except that it's far less than in
    America, particularly if it's in Britain.

    No $4 to park! No $6 admission! http://www.INTERNET-GUN-SHOW.com
     
    , Dec 28, 2006
    #12
  13. couss

    Charles L Guest

    Blue Heeler <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Charles L wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > Ha ha ha! This story is a load of crap. The giveaway is saying that a
    > > policeman would know how to delete a picture from a digital camera.
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Deleted by stomping on it or shooting it would have been more within
    > expectations
    >


    True. Didn't think of that.

    Charles L
     
    Charles L, Dec 28, 2006
    #13
  14. couss

    Tom Matigan Guest

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 19:44:56 +1030, couss wrote:


    > The policeman happened to see it. He told me to give him my digital
    > camera. I tried to reason that it was in public and thus I could take a
    > picture of it. The policman still insisted, and I gave him the camera,
    > so that he deleted the picture of the LCD screen inside of his car.
    > After that, he asked me to show him my driving licence, and scribbled
    > down my name and address into his notebook.
    >
    >




    Nobody, I mean NOBODY handles my camera but me. Period. If someone gets
    insistant, a love tap or three in the right place ought to set them
    straight.

    Complying with this ass was your first mistake, not disinfecting your
    camera when you got it back was your second mistake.
     
    Tom Matigan, Dec 28, 2006
    #14
  15. couss

    Guest

    wrote:
    > couss wrote:
    >> Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street.

    >
    > First, your spelling of the word "centre" suggests you aren't
    > American. If this took place in your homeland - which sounds like
    > Britain, Canada, or Australia - American laws and the American
    > constitution just don't apply. I don't have a clue what's legal in
    > Britain, Canada, or Australia - except that it's far less than in
    > America, particularly if it's in Britain.
    >
    > No $4 to park! No $6 admission! http://www.INTERNET-GUN-SHOW.com
    >

    If he's in Britain then he can take the picture, the policeman can only
    stop and search him if he has reasonable grounds to believe he's
    committed an offence. In America it would be common practice for the
    policeman to either beat, shoot or bugger the innocent member of the
    public. I watch enough American TV programs to know that this is true :)
     
    , Dec 28, 2006
    #15
  16. couss

    Ron Hunter Guest

    couss wrote:
    > Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street. A police car
    > stopped and the policemen walked away from it. I looked inside their locked
    > car; there was an LCD screen there. The message on the screen said that
    > there was a strange man on the loose, and there was a name and address of
    > the guy who reported it. Obviously the policemen went on the look for the
    > man on the loose. I thought that it must be a violation of some rules
    > because they left this information for everybody to see. I reasoned that the
    > car was in the public domain and I could take a picture of it; so I snapped
    > the image of the LCD screen with my digital camera which I happen to have on
    > me. I wanted to see later at home the layout of the GUI of their job
    > despatching software.
    >
    > The policeman happened to see it. He told me to give him my digital camera.
    > I tried to reason that it was in public and thus I could take a picture of
    > it. The policman still insisted, and I gave him the camera, so that he
    > deleted the picture of the LCD screen inside of his car. After that, he
    > asked me to show him my driving licence, and scribbled down my name and
    > address into his notebook.
    >
    > I hate when other people impose their will on me and mock at me, and I
    > cannot do anything about it. I was upset. Later I realised that the policman
    > might've been in violation of the law (i.e., exposing the confidential
    > information to the public), and he was trying to protect himself from the
    > possibility of this becoming known to his bosses, so that I might've had an
    > upper hand over him; I just could tell him to piss off. Could I ? Also, can
    > I reject to show my ID to the police ? I suppose they have no right to
    > demand from the public members to show their IDs for no sufficient reason.
    >
    > Thanks for your considerations/advices.
    >

    Yes, they DO have the right to demand such information, any time. Now
    as to the total lack of good sense, and propriety you showed in taking a
    picture of the data on the screen, I can only say that was beyond stupid.

    Next, as to the police officer leaving that data on the screen. BAD
    BOY! First, he should have cleared the screen, second, the screen
    should clear when the car door is opened. BAD PROGRAMMER.
     
    Ron Hunter, Dec 28, 2006
    #16
  17. couss

    Ron Hunter Guest

    o?o wrote:
    > "Salty" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> couss wrote:
    >>
    >> Also, can
    >>> I reject to show my ID to the police ? I suppose they have no right to
    >>> demand from the public members to show their IDs for no sufficient
    >>> reason.

    >> They have every right. They make the rules.
    >>

    >
    > Some of them might like to think so, however I can assure you they most
    > certainly do not.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    >
    >

    The police officer observed a suspicious person peering inside his
    patrol car, and taking pictures. This certainly did give him cause to
    request an id.
     
    Ron Hunter, Dec 28, 2006
    #17
  18. couss

    Ron Hunter Guest

    o?o wrote:
    > "Salty" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> couss wrote:
    >>
    >> Also, can
    >>> I reject to show my ID to the police ? I suppose they have no right to
    >>> demand from the public members to show their IDs for no sufficient
    >>> reason.

    >> They have every right. They make the rules.
    >>

    >
    > Some of them might like to think so, however I can assure you they most
    > certainly do not.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    >
    >

    Then they can just arrest you on suspicion of being a terrorist, and
    hold you until you starve. your choice.
     
    Ron Hunter, Dec 28, 2006
    #18
  19. couss

    U-Know-Who Guest

    "couss" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street. A police
    > car
    > stopped and the policemen walked away from it. I looked inside their
    > locked
    > car; there was an LCD screen there. The message on the screen said that
    > there was a strange man on the loose, and there was a name and address of
    > the guy who reported it. Obviously the policemen went on the look for the
    > man on the loose. I thought that it must be a violation of some rules
    > because they left this information for everybody to see. I reasoned that
    > the
    > car was in the public domain and I could take a picture of it; so I
    > snapped
    > the image of the LCD screen with my digital camera which I happen to have
    > on
    > me. I wanted to see later at home the layout of the GUI of their job
    > despatching software.
    >
    > The policeman happened to see it. He told me to give him my digital
    > camera.
    > I tried to reason that it was in public and thus I could take a picture of
    > it. The policman still insisted, and I gave him the camera, so that he
    > deleted the picture of the LCD screen inside of his car. After that, he
    > asked me to show him my driving licence, and scribbled down my name and
    > address into his notebook.
    >
    > I hate when other people impose their will on me and mock at me, and I
    > cannot do anything about it. I was upset. Later I realised that the
    > policman
    > might've been in violation of the law (i.e., exposing the confidential
    > information to the public), and he was trying to protect himself from the
    > possibility of this becoming known to his bosses, so that I might've had
    > an
    > upper hand over him; I just could tell him to piss off. Could I ? Also,
    > can
    > I reject to show my ID to the police ? I suppose they have no right to
    > demand from the public members to show their IDs for no sufficient reason.
    >
    > Thanks for your considerations/advices.
    >
    >


    You'll never win a pissing match with any kind of LEO. You may be right, but
    is it worth the trouble for your ego?



    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com
     
    U-Know-Who, Dec 28, 2006
    #19
  20. couss

    U-Know-Who Guest

    "Charles L" <> wrote in message
    news:4593a95b$0$68966$...
    >
    > couss <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Today I walked in the city centre in the shopping mall street. A police

    > car
    >> stopped and the policemen walked away from it. I looked inside their

    > locked
    >> car; there was an LCD screen there. The message on the screen said that
    >> there was a strange man on the loose, and there was a name and address of
    >> the guy who reported it. Obviously the policemen went on the look for the
    >> man on the loose. I thought that it must be a violation of some rules
    >> because they left this information for everybody to see. I reasoned that

    > the
    >> car was in the public domain and I could take a picture of it; so I

    > snapped
    >> the image of the LCD screen with my digital camera which I happen to have

    > on
    >> me. I wanted to see later at home the layout of the GUI of their job
    >> despatching software.
    >>
    >> The policeman happened to see it. He told me to give him my digital

    > camera.
    >> I tried to reason that it was in public and thus I could take a picture
    >> of
    >> it. The policman still insisted, and I gave him the camera, so that he
    >> deleted the picture of the LCD screen inside of his car. After that, he
    >> asked me to show him my driving licence, and scribbled down my name and
    >> address into his notebook.
    >>

    >
    > Ha ha ha! This story is a load of crap. The giveaway is saying that a
    > policeman would know how to delete a picture from a digital camera.
    >
    > Charles L
    >
    >
    >


    Why do you say that? In this area, our police officers...well at least most
    of them, can read.



    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com
     
    U-Know-Who, Dec 28, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Fanta
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,764
    Fanta
    Aug 31, 2003
  2. I_dunno_anythin

    automatic picture taking at sports event

    I_dunno_anythin, Oct 1, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    354
  3. chibitul

    taking picture of strangers... ask for permission?

    chibitul, Oct 6, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    223
    Views:
    3,261
    David Littlewood
    Oct 19, 2003
  4. Ahmed

    CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR

    Ahmed, Oct 31, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    441
    ChrisM
    Oct 31, 2007
  5. William Brown

    Nice Car, Nissan Leaf electric car

    William Brown, Apr 13, 2011, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    705
    misanthropic_curmudgeon
    Apr 18, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page