    Can anyone suggest some settings for taking pics of lightning. I got
    a Canon xt digital for Christmas, and I am in the learning process.

    Any websites with photography help ?
    Ron, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Ron

    cjcampbell Guest

    It is easiest to photograph lightning at night. Set the camera for a
    long exposure and stop the aperture way down and point it in the
    direction of lightning. It is easier if you have a "bulb" setting where
    the shutter stays open as long as you have pressed the shutter release,
    but I don't know if the XT has that.

    In daylight it is more difficult, but there are a couple approaches.
    Again long exposure time, small aperture, and possibly a filter to cut
    light even more.
    cjcampbell, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Ron

    Petri Lopia Guest

    On 2006-01-04, Ron <> wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest some settings for taking pics of lightning. I got
    > a Canon xt digital for Christmas, and I am in the learning process.
    >

    > Any websites with photography help ?

    I have some lightning photos on my website =) Feel free to come and
    check.

    You just need long shutter time and good place and a lot of luck.
    Just email to me if you want to ask something about those photos =)

    Maybe this helps you http://lightningboy.com/howto.htm

    --
    Petri Lopia :: lid
    Firework, Lightning, sun, moon, nature etc. photos
    Petri Lopia, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Ron

    Petri Lopia Guest

    On 2006-01-04, Petri Lopia <petri.lopia@EISPAMMIA_kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:
    > You just need long shutter time and good place and a lot of luck.

    Oh.. bugger... I mean long exposure... sorry =)

    Petri Lopia, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Ron

    PanHandler Guest

    "Ron" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone suggest some settings for taking pics of lightning. I got a
    > Canon xt digital for Christmas, and I am in the learning process.

    All you need is good reflexes. As soon as you see it, shoot :)
    PanHandler, Jan 4, 2006
  6. Ron

    Chris Guest

    OK, hate to burst your bubble, but you cannot do that with a Canon, should
    have gotten a Nikon!! Nikon is specifically designed to catch lightning...

    No really...Its easy at night, I use "bulb" to catch it...or a 4-10 second
    shutter depending on the amount of ambient light and the frequency of the
    lightning. During the day is harder, as you have to use shorter shutter
    speeds and smaller aperture. Check out some of my lightning shots:
    http://www.hotpctech.com/Lightning/index.html I have more if you would like
    to see them, these are some of my first attempts.Email me at
    remove the nospam .

    Chris, Jan 4, 2006
  7. Ron

    Chris Guest

    Yeah good reflexes help too, I am faster than lightning myself...the only
    problem is the pesky shutter delay...it gets me everytime!!

    Chris, Jan 4, 2006
  8. Ron

    Chris Guest

    I use a Nikon D70 in case you couldnt tell, I use the IR remote to trigger
    the shutter. I sit back and click, watch the show. Sometimes you will fill a
    GB card and get only 5 useable lightning pictures.

    Chris, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Ron

    G- Blank Guest

    In article <eb2dc$43bc316e$438db89d$>,
    "Chris" <> wrote:

    > OK, hate to burst your bubble, but you cannot do that with a Canon, should
    > have gotten a Nikon!! Nikon is specifically designed to catch lightning...
    >
    > No really...Its easy at night, I use "bulb" to catch it...or a 4-10 second
    > shutter depending on the amount of ambient light and the frequency of the
    > lightning. During the day is harder, as you have to use shorter shutter
    > speeds and smaller aperture. Check out some of my lightning shots:
    > http://www.hotpctech.com/Lightning/index.html I have more if you would like
    > to see them, these are some of my first attempts.Email me at
    > remove the nospam .

    Last year I went sailing for the first overnight racing trip, we went
    through a series of severe thunderstorms at night, lighting everywhere
    around us but unfortunately impossible to catch on a moving sail boat
    tossing in the wind. One boat next to us had its mast hit.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    greg_____photo(dot)com
    G- Blank, Jan 4, 2006
  10. "Chris" <> wrote:
    >I use a Nikon D70 in case you couldnt tell, I use the IR remote to trigger
    >the shutter. I sit back and click, watch the show. Sometimes you will fill a
    >GB card and get only 5 useable lightning pictures.

    Wow, why so few? All you gotta do is click the shutter just before
    you see it. Right?

    >"Ron" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone suggest some settings for taking pics of lightning. I got a
    >> Canon xt digital for Christmas, and I am in the learning process.
    >>

    >> Any websites with photography help ?

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd Davidson, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Ron

    Chaka Guest

    Yes, but that's tricky. How do you know when lightning is about to
    strike? In a storm with multiple CG strikes, it's not too hard. In a
    storm where there aren't many strikes, you're going to have a lot of
    throw-away shots.
    Chaka, Jan 4, 2006
  12. Ron

    ian collins Guest

    I think it's already being said here but..

    Fixed camera . Dont shut the lens down too much

    ie F no low -

    Make sure your focus is manual and set more or less to infinity

    Try exposures of 15 second intervals - if u get a flash immediately cover
    lens with hand for rest of shutter to keep out any stray light - unless u
    want it of course

    and oh yes u will fill a card ..Good luck

    Its always a good idea to play with this stuff well in advance.

    Ian Collins

    http://www.weatherpictures.co.uk

    http://www.weatherpictures.co.uk/010505a.jpg

    ian collins, Jan 4, 2006
  13. "Chaka" <> wrote:
    >Yes, but that's tricky. How do you know when lightning is about to
    >strike? In a storm with multiple CG strikes, it's not too hard. In a
    >storm where there aren't many strikes, you're going to have a lot of
    >throw-away shots.

    Nah, that's where those "quick reflexes" come in...

    (Do I really need to put a smily on this?)

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd Davidson, Jan 4, 2006
  14. Ron

    Eric B. Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > OK, hate to burst your bubble, but you cannot do that with a Canon, should
    > have gotten a Nikon!! Nikon is specifically designed to catch lightning...
    >
    > No really...Its easy at night, I use "bulb" to catch it...or a 4-10 second
    > shutter depending on the amount of ambient light and the frequency of the
    > lightning. During the day is harder, as you have to use shorter shutter
    > speeds and smaller aperture. Check out some of my lightning shots:
    > http://www.hotpctech.com/Lightning/index.html I have more if you would
    > like to see them, these are some of my first attempts.Email me at
    > remove the nospam .

    The link doesn't work for me.

    Eric B.
    Eric B., Jan 5, 2006
  15. "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > OK, hate to burst your bubble, but you cannot do that with a Canon,
    > should have gotten a Nikon!! Nikon is specifically designed to catch
    > lightning...

    Obviously it doesn't matter which camera brand, or even whether film
    or digital is used. It's more about the skills of the photographer and
    a camera that can be set to capture a poorly lit scene:
    <http://www.wxvideo.com/howto.htm>
    Click on the button at the bottom of that page if you want to see some
    beautiful examples he has in his galleries (daytime lightning as
    well).

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 5, 2006
  16. Ron

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:42:53 -0900, Floyd Davidson wrote:

    > >I use a Nikon D70 in case you couldnt tell, I use the IR remote to trigger
    > >the shutter. I sit back and click, watch the show. Sometimes you will fill a
    > >GB card and get only 5 useable lightning pictures.

    > Wow, why so few? All you gotta do is click the shutter just before
    > you see it. Right?

    "Just before" is a bit too vague since different cameras have
    different shutter lags. And if any people or pets will be in the
    picture, you'd also need click the shutter "way before" if the
    camera has its anti-redeye feature enabled.
    ASAAR, Jan 5, 2006
  17. Ron

    Chris Guest

    Link should work, you may need to try again...its coming off my home server
    so if lots of people are on it, it will be sluggish.

    Chris, Jan 5, 2006
  18. ASAAR <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:42:53 -0900, Floyd Davidson wrote:
    >
    >> >I use a Nikon D70 in case you couldnt tell, I use the IR remote to trigger
    >> >the shutter. I sit back and click, watch the show. Sometimes you will fill a
    >> >GB card and get only 5 useable lightning pictures.

    >> Wow, why so few? All you gotta do is click the shutter just before
    >> you see it. Right?

    > "Just before" is a bit too vague since different cameras have
    >different shutter lags. And if any people or pets will be in the
    >picture, you'd also need click the shutter "way before" if the
    >camera has its anti-redeye feature enabled.

    Hey, anybody who knows exactly when "just before" is, can just
    as easily adjust for shutter lag, me thinks...

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd Davidson, Jan 5, 2006
  19. Ron

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:30:41 -0900, Floyd Davidson wrote:

    >> "Just before" is a bit too vague since different cameras have
    >> different shutter lags. And if any people or pets will be in the
    >> picture, you'd also need click the shutter "way before" if the
    >> camera has its anti-redeye feature enabled.

    > Hey, anybody who knows exactly when "just before" is, can just
    > as easily adjust for shutter lag, me thinks...

    You're right. If you seed the clouds and have enough control to
    be able to precipitate the lightning strike, you can even use the
    camera's self timer and appear in your own shot. Even though it
    might be raining, it may not be wise to hold an umbrella. If one is
    really needed, a bumbershoot can be used to provide an adequate
    false sense of security . . .
    ASAAR, Jan 5, 2006
  20. Ron

    DHB Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 05:11:40 GMT, Ron <> wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest some settings for taking pics of lightning. I got
    >a Canon xt digital for Christmas, and I am in the learning process.
    >

    >Any websites with photography help ?

    Knowing some of the basics is 1 thing but being both lucky &
    very skilled is something else. I'm referring to myself in the former
    but to this individual in the latter:

    http://www.pbase.com/snoyes/image/31351165

    After seeing his work, my efforts pale in comparison but
    another way of looking @ it is to view his work as a reference to
    compare your progress to. As for me, I prefer candid's pictures of
    everything from people to wildlife out in the woods. I do love
    watching mother nature's free fireworks displays buy I have not had
    much luck in capturing lighting strikes.

    Also is helps considerably to have a nice unobstructed view.
    Where I live in the northeastern part of the US there are lots of
    hills & all to often the rain seems to precede the lightning.

    Sorry I could not help directly but maybe you can learn a lot
    form the provided link & this photographer.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Jan 6, 2006