    take pictures, what each manual setting is, and why I would want to
    adjust each setting in a particular way. Thanks in advance for any
    help you can provide.
    Travis E Wethington, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Travis E Wethington

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Travis E Wethington wrote:

    > I'm getting ready to take a cross-country train trip and would welcome
    > any advice for PAS settings on my digital camera. I'm very new to
    > anything other than point and click with my camera so specific
    > settings and reasons would be very helpful as I desire to learn how to
    > take pictures, what each manual setting is, and why I would want to
    > adjust each setting in a particular way. Thanks in advance for any
    > help you can provide.

    Without knowing what camera you are using, the only two 'rules of thumb'
    would be to:

    1) use the highest shutter speed you can and

    2) try not to shoot through glass.. If you have to shoot through glass,
    get the lens as close as possible. That will reduce reflections.
    Jim Townsend, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Travis E Wethington

    phillean Guest

    Jim

    Sounds like you are using a Kodak in the DX series,

    Try the sport settings, meant for movement,

    You will get the best results on bright sunny days when there is plenty of
    light and follow the advice in the previous post.

    Make sure that there is nothing close in the picture, you will be moving too
    fast relative to the close objects.

    Do read the help /tutorial information that came on the CD or download it
    from the Kodak site if you haven't got a copy.

    Read about the optimum settings for what you want to photograph.

    I have a DX6440, a great camera for snapshots, portraits, sport, and street
    scenes, the flash is great stron but reduces very well for close up photos
    of people. I would like a bit more clear detail in the landscape photos.

    With digital you will be able to review the image immediately after you have
    taken it.

    PS - disable the digital zoom and stick with optical zoom for best results,
    enable digital zoom only for those images when you need to capture a picture
    and the quality doesn't matter.

    Phil

    phillean, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Travis E Wethington

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:
    > Travis E Wethington wrote:
    >

    >>I'm getting ready to take a cross-country train trip and would welcome
    >>any advice for PAS settings on my digital camera. I'm very new to
    >>anything other than point and click with my camera so specific
    >>settings and reasons would be very helpful as I desire to learn how to
    >>take pictures, what each manual setting is, and why I would want to
    >>adjust each setting in a particular way. Thanks in advance for any
    >>help you can provide.

    > Without knowing what camera you are using, the only two 'rules of thumb'
    > would be to:
    >
    > 1) use the highest shutter speed you can and
    >
    > 2) try not to shoot through glass.. If you have to shoot through glass,
    > get the lens as close as possible. That will reduce reflections.

    Hi...

    And bring along an extra bottle of lens cleaner and
    wipes... to clean the tiny portion of window you use.
    Easy to clean a couple of square inches on the inside :)

    If anyone's interested, I made myself an "adaptor" that
    seems to work very very well... for only a couple of
    dollars in materials.

    Bought a sheet of black foam - supposed to be an air
    filter for a window air conditioner - and a small tube
    of contact cement.

    Cut a strip the width of the lens extension, the length
    just enough to snugly go around the lens barrel (the portion
    that doesn't move). Glued the ends with contact cement.

    Cut another strip that fit snugly around that, glued it
    to the first all around. Kept repeating with longer and
    longer strips 'till I'd built up the 2 inches or so to
    about 4 or 5 inches. (time consuming)

    Once there cut another strip 'bout 6 inches wide, and
    long enough to go around the whole shooting match with
    a bit of overlap. Glue this all the way round the
    other piece, and overlap glue that part that "sticks
    out"

    Finally, cut a dozen "slits" of an inch or two in the
    end. This way you can press it against a window at an
    angle. (naturally you're going to get crisper pictures
    of where you're going or where you've been than you will
    of what you're passing)

    Finally, don't think they'd appreciate it, but if your
    camera allows custom white balance, then bring along
    a small piece of 22% gray card and some good tape
    pre-attached. Get whoever sees you off to slap it against
    the corner of one of the windows just before the train
    moves out :)

    Hope this helps a bit...

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Hi Travis

    I may have misread or misinterpreted what you put - saying that here are my
    key points:

    1 - get to know your camera - a half press on the shoot button usually
    focusses the camera devices and sorts shutter & ISO settings all at the same
    time (try this with stationary objects first until you get really good at
    it)

    2 - panning. If you can P&S thru an open window = great. This may allow
    you to follow the object you want to take a picture of by rotating or
    panning the camera so you follow the object. You can try this by taking
    pics of slow moving cars (for example)

    3 - Put 1 & 2 together and practise until you are good at both

    The great thing about digital photography is that you may practise these
    techniques and view the results on camera LCD screen or computer without
    having to waste rolls & rolls of film.

    I hope you have phun!

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Travis E Wethington

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Travis E Wethington wrote:

    > I'm getting ready to take a cross-country train trip and would welcome
    > any advice for PAS settings on my digital camera. I'm very new to
    > anything other than point and click with my camera so specific
    > settings and reasons would be very helpful as I desire to learn how to
    > take pictures, what each manual setting is, and why I would want to
    > adjust each setting in a particular way. Thanks in advance for any
    > help you can provide.

    Does your camera have a 'landscape' mode? If so, that usually sets the
    focus at infinity making it unnecessary to wait for focus. The settings
    for shutter and aperture can probably be left on auto for trouble-free
    pictures. For special cases, and difficult pictures, you can use the
    PAS settings. Needless to say, if you want to be able to capture any
    images of things fairly near the train, you will have to have a very
    fast shutter speed and you will have to be quick on the 'trigger'. I
    have some very nice pictures taken from the car with my DX6440, all in
    landscape mode.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 29, 2004
  7. Travis E Wethington

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:

    > Jim Townsend wrote:
    >
    >> Travis E Wethington wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm getting ready to take a cross-country train trip and would welcome
    >>> any advice for PAS settings on my digital camera. I'm very new to
    >>> anything other than point and click with my camera so specific
    >>> settings and reasons would be very helpful as I desire to learn how to
    >>> take pictures, what each manual setting is, and why I would want to
    >>> adjust each setting in a particular way. Thanks in advance for any
    >>> help you can provide.

    >> Without knowing what camera you are using, the only two 'rules of
    >> thumb' would be to:
    >> 1) use the highest shutter speed you can and
    >> 2) try not to shoot through glass.. If you have to shoot through
    >> glass, get the lens as close as possible. That will reduce reflections.
    >>

    > Hi...
    >
    > And bring along an extra bottle of lens cleaner and
    > wipes... to clean the tiny portion of window you use.
    > Easy to clean a couple of square inches on the inside :)
    >
    > If anyone's interested, I made myself an "adaptor" that
    > seems to work very very well... for only a couple of
    > dollars in materials.
    >
    > Bought a sheet of black foam - supposed to be an air
    > filter for a window air conditioner - and a small tube
    > of contact cement.
    >
    > Cut a strip the width of the lens extension, the length
    > just enough to snugly go around the lens barrel (the portion
    > that doesn't move). Glued the ends with contact cement.
    >
    > Cut another strip that fit snugly around that, glued it
    > to the first all around. Kept repeating with longer and
    > longer strips 'till I'd built up the 2 inches or so to
    > about 4 or 5 inches. (time consuming)
    >
    > Once there cut another strip 'bout 6 inches wide, and
    > long enough to go around the whole shooting match with
    > a bit of overlap. Glue this all the way round the
    > other piece, and overlap glue that part that "sticks
    > out"
    >
    > Finally, cut a dozen "slits" of an inch or two in the
    > end. This way you can press it against a window at an
    > angle. (naturally you're going to get crisper pictures
    > of where you're going or where you've been than you will
    > of what you're passing)
    >
    > Finally, don't think they'd appreciate it, but if your
    > camera allows custom white balance, then bring along
    > a small piece of 22% gray card and some good tape
    > pre-attached. Get whoever sees you off to slap it against
    > the corner of one of the windows just before the train
    > moves out :)
    >
    > Hope this helps a bit...n
    >
    > Ken

    You didn't mention that after all that, you might find that the train
    windows (usually tinted) will render autofocus unreliable (you will
    probably focus on the window). Another reason to set the focus for
    landscape.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 29, 2004
  8. What's the 22% gray card for?

    > Finally, don't think they'd appreciate it, but if your
    > camera allows custom white balance, then bring along
    > a small piece of 22% gray card and some good tape
    > pre-attached. Get whoever sees you off to slap it against
    > the corner of one of the windows just before the train
    > moves out :)

    Thanks

    Gareth Tuckwell, Jul 29, 2004
  9. Travis E Wethington

    DHB Guest

    On 28 Jul 2004 11:06:40 -0700, (Travis E
    Wethington) wrote:

    >I'm getting ready to take a cross-country train trip and would welcome
    >any advice for PAS settings on my digital camera. I'm very new to
    >anything other than point and click with my camera so specific
    >settings and reasons would be very helpful as I desire to learn how to
    >take pictures, what each manual setting is, and why I would want to
    >adjust each setting in a particular way. Thanks in advance for any
    >help you can provide.

    Travis,
    you seem to have received some good advice already & I'll
    offer my 2 cents also since I have done several cross-country business
    train trips, mostly between MA & TX. 1st, if you have the option, a
    sleeper car is the way to go, much more privacy & security for your
    gear. For most of my trips I used a video camcorder but most of my
    suggestions will also apply to digital stills.

    1> Get to know the staff, often they will allow you access to
    areas on the train that most riders are not permitted but always ask
    them privately or almost certainly, the answer will be "Sorry but,
    regulations .......". 1 of the best places you "might" get access to
    is the very rear of the train outside the door on the platform (ear
    plugs can help too because it gets noisy out there).

    2> Bring along a window washing squeegee like the 1's used at
    full service gas stations to clean your vehicle windows. Buy 1 that
    the handle unscrews for better storage or modify it so the handle can
    be removed & maybe replaced with a little longer 1. Get onboard as
    soon as you can, so you will know where you will be seated & place
    something easily recognizable in the window & then get back off the
    train & clean the outside of "that" window because that's where most
    of the dirt will be. The inside is easy to clean & can be done at
    almost anytime.

    3> Keep your gear at the ready! Even a long bridge crossing
    over water can past by very quickly if the train is traveling at high
    speed as they usually do. A good map that shows major water crossings
    helps you to be ready, as does information from your friendly well
    tipped cabin attendant.

    4> As others have stated, pre focusing the camera toward
    infinity if your camera allows this, will often help too. Also you
    usually will want to pan with "track" 1 object while the train is in
    motion & follow through even past the point where you feel the picture
    was taken because "all" cameras have some shutter delay.

    5> Bring a reasonably small & lightweight tripod. This might
    sound strange but many of these trains make a lot more stops than most
    people think & some great shots of the train, people & stations can be
    had from outside the train during such stops. Also if your digital
    camera has manual controls, get to know them well because many of
    these stops may be at night & long exposures of a few seconds may be
    needed if you are going to turn off the flash & use the existing light
    only.

    Last note is 1 of equipment caution. AC power outlet on a
    trains are usually provide very poor quality square wave AC & poorly
    regulated too. So don't plug anything expensive into it! If you can
    charge your batteries outside the camera, do so with a cheap charger
    if possible "if you must charge them on the train". Cheaper to
    replace an inexpensive battery charger than an expensive 1 or the
    camera itself.

    Have fun, it's sometimes hard to balance picture taking with
    just kicking back & enjoying the trip. Sure it's nice to have a lot
    of nice pictures to remember the trip by but you also want to have had
    fun too or the pictures might just be reminders of who much effort it
    took to take them.

    Hope something in my long response proves helpfully to
    somebody out there.

    Respectfully, DHB
    DHB, Jul 29, 2004
  10. Travis E Wethington

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
    > What's the 22% gray card for?

    Hi Gareth...

    The idea is to use it through the tinted window
    to set your custom white balance...

    But in hindsight, I retract the suggestion, and
    apologize for having done so.

    Unfortunately since 9/11 some folks may think that
    it's more than a tiny scrap of gray paper, and
    who knows the extent of the hassle that may result.

    Sorry about that.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jul 29, 2004
  11. Thanks for all the advice. The train leaves tomorrow.

    All aboard!
    Travis E Wethington, Jul 31, 2004