    distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    capturing the images successfully?
    Ta muchly
    Steve, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Steve

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi guys and guyesses,
    > I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by today's
    > standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    > The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that can only
    > be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are X-rays of my own
    > spine and I'll be viewing the doctors monitor.
    > Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to take 4 or 5
    > pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    > Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and physical
    > distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    > capturing the images successfully?
    > Ta muchly

    I don't know the refresh rate of the screen, but if it is a NTSC standard
    (US) it is best to shoot at 1/15 of a sec for an evenly lit photo. Be sure
    to brace yourself because such a slow shutter speed is hard to hand hold the
    camera without blur from moving. Be sure to turn off the flash and, if the
    monitor is small, you may need to get close. In this case, you need to set
    the camera's macro mode for a clear shot. Also be aware of stray reflections
    on the screen from lights and such.

    If you can't control the camera's shutter speed, it will be difficult to get
    "great" shots from a CRT.
    John
    JohnR66, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Steve

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Steve) wrote in

    > Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and
    > physical distance I should be from the screen to give the best
    > chance of capturing the images successfully?

    Shutter speed must be long enough to guarantee a full frame is
    written to the monitor during the time the shutter is open. Without
    knowing the frame rate of the monitor, you can just guess; worst case
    is probably 60Hz, so a shutter speed of 1/30" would work. Since the
    image won't be moving, you don't have to worry about the speed being
    too slow. Depending on your lens' maximum aperture, you might be
    forced to use an even slower shutter speed.

    Aperture is anybody's guess.

    Your camera's auto exposure might get it "right", but it might pick
    the wrong shutter speed.

    Practice framing and focus on any similar sized object you can get
    your hands on. Experiment with exposure on your TV set.

    At 1/30" and slower shutter speeds, hand-held shots might be a
    problem.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Nov 2, 2007
  4. Steve

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/2/07 11:49 AM, in article
    JyIWi.318895$, "JohnR66"
    <> wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi guys and guyesses,
    >> I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by today's
    >> standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    >> The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that can only
    >> be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are X-rays of my own
    >> spine and I'll be viewing the doctors monitor.
    >> Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to take 4 or 5
    >> pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    >> Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and physical
    >> distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    >> capturing the images successfully?
    >> Ta muchly
    >>

    > I don't know the refresh rate of the screen, but if it is a NTSC standard
    > (US) it is best to shoot at 1/15 of a sec for an evenly lit photo. Be sure
    > to brace yourself because such a slow shutter speed is hard to hand hold the
    > camera without blur from moving. Be sure to turn off the flash and, if the
    > monitor is small, you may need to get close. In this case, you need to set
    > the camera's macro mode for a clear shot. Also be aware of stray reflections
    > on the screen from lights and such.
    >
    > If you can't control the camera's shutter speed, it will be difficult to get
    > "great" shots from a CRT.
    > John

    Good advice. However, if the OP cannot do so, he might ask the doc to
    arrange some way to get the picture/file to him or online in some manner.
    George Kerby, Nov 2, 2007
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks for the quick help, guys.
    I had no idea that the refresh rate of the monitor would make a
    difference.
    I tried asking the Doc to e-mail me the pix and he said he would but
    it looks like either he is to busy, didn't know how or just couldn't
    be bothered.
    I have no clue about the monitor except that it is a 15" model and
    looks older than Moses.
    Steve, Nov 2, 2007
  6. Steve

    Redneck Jim Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys and guyesses,
    > I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by today's
    > standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    > The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that can only
    > be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are X-rays of my own
    > spine and I'll be viewing the doctors monitor.
    > Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to take 4 or 5
    > pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    > Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and physical
    > distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    > capturing the images successfully?
    > Ta muchly

    Why not use a screen capture program? No need for a camera. SnagIt has a
    30 day day trial you can download. from the following link

    http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp?CMP=KgoogleShome
    Redneck Jim, Nov 2, 2007
  7. Steve

    Redneck Jim Guest

    "Redneck Jim" <redneckjimATcableONE.net> wrote in message

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi guys and guyesses,
    >> I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by today's
    >> standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    >> The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that can only
    >> be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are X-rays of my own
    >> spine and I'll be viewing the doctors monitor.
    >> Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to take 4 or 5
    >> pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    >> Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and physical
    >> distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    >> capturing the images successfully?
    >> Ta muchly
    >>

    > Why not use a screen capture program? No need for a camera. SnagIt has a
    > 30 day day trial you can download. from the following link
    >
    > http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp?CMP=KgoogleShome

    OOPs - Didn't see that you would be viewing on the doctors monitor. Ignore
    my suggestion, unless he has a capture program on his monitor.
    Redneck Jim, Nov 2, 2007
  8. Steve

    Pat Guest

    On Nov 2, 12:38 pm, Steve <> wrote:
    > Hi guys and guyesses,
    > I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by today's
    > standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    > The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that can only
    > be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are X-rays of my own
    > spine and I'll be viewing the doctors monitor.
    > Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to take 4 or 5
    > pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    > Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and physical
    > distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    > capturing the images successfully?
    > Ta muchly

    Ask the x-ray tech or the doctor for a CD and stand there and wait for
    it. I just got a bone-scan CD of my kid and it includes viewing
    software. If it's on the screen, it's CD-able. Otherwise you're not
    going to be happy with the results.
    Pat, Nov 2, 2007
  9. Steve

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 11:40:47 -0600, Redneck Jim wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi guys and guyesses,
    >> I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by today's
    >> standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    >> The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that can only
    >> be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are X-rays of my own
    >> spine and I'll be viewing the doctors monitor.
    >> Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to take 4 or 5
    >> pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    >> Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and physical
    >> distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    >> capturing the images successfully?
    >> Ta muchly
    >>

    > Why not use a screen capture program? No need for a camera. SnagIt has a
    > 30 day day trial you can download. from the following link
    >
    > http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp?CMP=KgoogleShome

    I take it from his post he won't have access to the machine - only visual
    access to the monitor.
    ray, Nov 2, 2007
  10. Steve

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Steve added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > Hi guys and guyesses,
    > I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by
    > today's standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    > The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that
    > can only be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are
    > X-rays of my own spine and I'll be viewing the doctors
    > monitor. Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to
    > take 4 or 5 pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    > Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and
    > physical distance I should be from the screen to give the best
    > chance of capturing the images successfully?
    > Ta muchly

    Any distance you can accurately focus at near full-frame will
    work. The main problem I have found with shooting off TV is that
    if your shutter speed is too high, you'll catch the electron gun
    scan lines in mid-screen and get a partial image glitch. I use
    about 1/30 second, seems to work well.

    Good luck. In my area, my hospital chain has gone to 100% digital
    X-rays, and anything else such as CT or MRI and no longer sends
    "films". Instead, they burn a CD real-time, hand it to me, and it
    has a self-launching viewer that allows whatever capability the
    graphics supports, such as pan and zoom, rotate if 3-D, etc.
    Works great. I ask for 2 CDs, one for the requesting doc and one
    for me. Too bad yours apparently hasn't gone high tech yet.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry
    HEMI-Powered, Nov 2, 2007
  11. Steve

    Eric Miller Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi guys and guyesses,
    > I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by today's
    > standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    > The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that can only
    > be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are X-rays of my own
    > spine and I'll be viewing the doctors monitor.
    > Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to take 4 or 5
    > pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    > Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and physical
    > distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    > capturing the images successfully?
    > Ta muchly

    If you are in the United States, you may simply make a request for the
    x-ray images on a CD-ROM in writing, including a HIPAA compliant records
    release (which you should be able to find online), and you will likely
    get the files within a short period of time. Doctor's offices routinely
    deal with records requests.

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Nov 2, 2007
  12. Steve

    Marcin Guest

    You don't need camera,
    you need computer and digital recorder.

    1. Record the pictures or movie using digital recorder.
    2. Transfer data to personal computer (or play everything from CD except)
    3. Open eg. "IrfanView" and activate "Screen capture option"
    4. Play recorded material using "Media Player" or other (full screen mode)
    5. Click pause button.
    5. Use "Screen capture option" and save the picture as jpg or tiff.

    Best Regards
    Marcin
    www.gorgolewski.com

    Uzytkownik "Steve" <> napisal w wiadomosci

    Marcin, Nov 2, 2007
  13. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I'm actually in England but I'll make enquiries about the CD
    availability, Cheers.

    The snag with options involving me clicking buttons and running progs
    is that, generally speaking, Doctors and Consultant Surgeons don't let
    riff-raff like me play with their computers. lol
    Steve, Nov 3, 2007
  14. Steve wrote:
    > I'm actually in England but I'll make enquiries about the CD
    > availability, Cheers.
    >
    > The snag with options involving me clicking buttons and running progs
    > is that, generally speaking, Doctors and Consultant Surgeons don't let
    > riff-raff like me play with their computers. lol

    Quite right too! Would you let them play with yours?

    Good luck with your photo and your health.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 3, 2007
  15. On Nov 2, 10:49 am, "JohnR66" <> wrote:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi guys and guyesses,
    > > I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by today's
    > > standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    > > The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that can only
    > > be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are X-rays of my own
    > > spine and I'll be viewing the doctors monitor.
    > > Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to take 4 or 5
    > > pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    > > Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and physical
    > > distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    > > capturing the images successfully?
    > > Ta muchly

    > I don't know the refresh rate of the screen, but if it is a NTSC standard
    > (US) it is best to shoot at 1/15 of a sec for an evenly lit photo. Be sure
    > to brace yourself because such a slow shutter speed is hard to hand hold the
    > camera without blur from moving. Be sure to turn off the flash and, if the
    > monitor is small, you may need to get close. In this case, you need to set
    > the camera's macro mode for a clear shot. Also be aware of stray reflections
    > on the screen from lights and such.
    >
    > If you can't control the camera's shutter speed, it will be difficult to get
    > "great" shots from a CRT.
    > John

    I agree- I always use 1/15 sec. However, try to obtain a tripod for
    these kinds of shots. Handholding is very difficult at 1/15.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 3, 2007
  16. Steve

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve <> wrote:

    > Hi guys and guyesses,
    > I have a Pentax Optio 33L. It's a very modest camera by today's
    > standards with only 3.2 mega pixies.
    > The thing is that I want to take some pictures of images that can only
    > be shown to me on a CRT monitor screen. They are X-rays of my own
    > spine and I'll be viewing the doctors monitor.
    > Because of the circumstances, I'll only be able to take 4 or 5
    > pictures so trial and error won't cut it.
    > Can any of you camera buffs suggest the proper settings and physical
    > distance I should be from the screen to give the best chance of
    > capturing the images successfully?
    > Ta muchly

    Can't you just ask your doctor for a copy of the x-rays? If not, what
    about simply doing a screen capture on the computer and saving it to a
    USB jump drive?
    Shawn Hirn, Nov 4, 2007