    used?

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Jun 2, 2007

  2. Alasdair wrote:
    > I get loads of emails which have not been delivered to their
    > recipients and have been bounced back to my inbox. I can only assume
    > that someone is using one or more of my email addresses to send out
    > loads of spam.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to stop this? Would a viral program have
    > been installed on my computer to achieve this or is some other method
    > used?

    Have you considered running an antivirus program just to check?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 2, 2007

  3. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:03:21 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Have you considered running an antivirus program just to check?

    Yes, I am running Webroot and Norton 360 but they have found nothing.

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Jun 2, 2007
  4. Alasdair

    Keme Guest

    Alasdair skrev:
    > I get loads of emails which have not been delivered to their
    > recipients and have been bounced back to my inbox. I can only assume
    > that someone is using one or more of my email addresses to send out
    > loads of spam.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to stop this? Would a viral program have
    > been installed on my computer to achieve this or is some other method
    > used?

    Your email address is harvested some way or other. It should exist in
    digital form in every message you send, and your contacts probably have
    it in their address books. A virus on a computer where one of those
    elements exist can collect your addrss and use it as a spam target, or
    as sender, to hide the real identity of the spammer.

    Assuming you haven't mangled your mail address, it now exists on usenet,
    too (the address in the message header looks authentic). Maybe you (or
    your employer) have a web page where you advertise your mail address
    uncloaked. Those two venues are freely available for harvesting, without
    any viral program needed.
    Keme, Jun 2, 2007
  5. Alasdair

    Tester Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:53:20 +0100, Alasdair <>
    wrote:

    >I get loads of emails which have not been delivered to their
    >recipients and have been bounced back to my inbox. I can only assume
    >that someone is using one or more of my email addresses to send out
    >loads of spam.
    >
    >Is there anything I can do to stop this? Would a viral program have
    >been installed on my computer to achieve this or is some other method
    >used?

    Learn to read headers and complain to the network which is the origin
    of the original email message.

    When the internet started, the people on it were at universities,
    government agencies and government contractors. There was little or no
    thought of security. That came later and it frequently has the look
    and feel of a bandaid covering a spouting arterial wound. It is very
    easy to forge someone else's address.

    (I do have one email account which lets me send mail to anyone from
    any network by SMTP and makes me login to the SMTP server and then
    use the return-path associated with my login. My ISP account makes me
    login to the server but I can use any return-path I want.)
    Tester, Jun 2, 2007
  6. Alasdair

    Mike Easter Guest

    Alasdair wrote:
    > I get loads of emails which have not been delivered to their
    > recipients and have been bounced back to my inbox.

    Almost all spam has a bogus From; that is, the From address does not
    represent the address of the spamsource. Some bogus From is socially
    engineered to influence the appearance of the spamsubject/spamfrom
    coordination. Most bogus From uses the same addresses as spam is sent
    to -- that is spammee addresses are also spamFrom addresses.

    Proper receiving mailserver handling should not be 'bouncing' such
    misdirected mail -- that is, the server receiving the bogus From mail
    should not be accepting for delivery mail which has a bogus From and
    then manufacturing a newmail 'belated' bounce which belatedbounce is
    addressed to the bogus From of the mail which was accepted for delivery
    and then wasn't delivered to the recipient.

    A 'proper' bounce - delivery status notification failed - should be
    based on some receiving server rejecting/ not accepting for delivery/ a
    mail transaction from the server of the sender. You should only receive
    a 'bounce' from your own server which handled a mail from you to a
    recipient and then the recipient's server could not accept your sent
    mail.

    You should not be receiving a belatedbounce of a mail you never mailed.
    The servers which email you misdirected belatedbounces can be reported
    as being abusive servers, which reporting can push them toward changing
    their abusive misbehavior.

    > I can only assume
    > that someone is using one or more of my email addresses to send out
    > loads of spam.

    You mean spam is being sent with your address as the forged From.

    > Is there anything I can do to stop this?

    You can take action by reporting the servers which are misdirecting the
    belatedbounces to you. You cannot stop a spamgenerator from using
    whatever bogus information s/he chooses to in the content of the spam.

    > Would a viral program have
    > been installed on my computer to achieve this or is some other method
    > used?

    The spam in/of your question is not coming from your computer. Whether
    or not you have some other spam which doesn't have your From address
    coming from/ being injected by/ your computer if it were a proxytrojan
    is a completely different possibility.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 2, 2007
  7. Alasdair <> wrote in

    > I get loads of emails which have not been delivered to their
    > recipients and have been bounced back to my inbox. I can only

    assume
    > that someone is using one or more of my email addresses to send out
    > loads of spam.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to stop this? Would a viral program

    have
    > been installed on my computer to achieve this or is some other

    method
    > used?

    The most likely explaination is simply that someone is inserting your
    email address in the From: header when they send the email from their
    account. Not much you can do about that.

    If you suspect the email is really from your account, you can change
    your email password (with your ISP or email host) and configure your
    email client not to remember the password.

    HTH,
    John
    John Wunderlich, Jun 2, 2007
  8. Alasdair

    Vanguard Guest

    "Alasdair" wrote in message
    > I get loads of emails which have not been delivered to their
    > recipients and have been bounced back to my inbox. I can only assume
    > that someone is using one or more of my email addresses to send out
    > loads of spam.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to stop this? Would a viral program have
    > been installed on my computer to achieve this or is some other method
    > used?

    You can't prevent idiot mail admins who allow a mail to be accepted and
    then AFTER the mail session decide that the mail is undeliverable and
    then generate a NEW mail to return to the claimed sender. If they
    rejected the undeliverable mail DURING the mail session then whomever
    actually originated the mail gets rejected. The problem isn't going
    away until mail admins figure that they should not accept mails from
    relays (or forwarding services) and that they need to reject
    non-deliverable mails during the mail session and not afterward.
    Vanguard, Jun 2, 2007
  9. translate plz, demmmmmmmmm

    Christopher Syn, Jun 2, 2007
  10. Alasdair

    Mike Easter Guest

    Christopher Syn wrote:
    > translate plz, demmmmmmmmm

    Please reply-post attributed, trimmed and contextualized. Your top
    posting is non-attributed, untrimmed, and has no context or 'meaning'.
    You might as well have deleted the entire previously posted body you
    posted over and just cited a news message like

    Guidelines: http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html Quoting
    Style in Newsgroup Postings

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 2, 2007
  11. Alasdair

    John Holmes Guest

    Christopher Syn "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Alasdair wrote:
    >>> I get loads of emails which have not been delivered to their
    >>> recipients and have been bounced back to my inbox.

    >> Almost all spam has a bogus From; that is, the From address does not
    >> represent the address of the spamsource. Some bogus From is socially
    >> engineered to influence the appearance of the spamsubject/spamfrom
    >> coordination. Most bogus From uses the same addresses as spam is sent
    >> to -- that is spammee addresses are also spamFrom addresses.
    >>
    >> Proper receiving mailserver handling should not be 'bouncing' such
    >> misdirected mail -- that is, the server receiving the bogus From mail
    >> should not be accepting for delivery mail which has a bogus From and
    >> then manufacturing a newmail 'belated' bounce which belatedbounce is
    >> addressed to the bogus From of the mail which was accepted for

    delivery
    >> and then wasn't delivered to the recipient.
    >>
    >> A 'proper' bounce - delivery status notification failed - should be
    >> based on some receiving server rejecting/ not accepting for delivery/

    >> mail transaction from the server of the sender. You should only

    receive
    >> a 'bounce' from your own server which handled a mail from you to a
    >> recipient and then the recipient's server could not accept your sent
    >> mail.
    >>
    >> You should not be receiving a belatedbounce of a mail you never

    mailed.
    >> The servers which email you misdirected belatedbounces can be reported
    >> as being abusive servers, which reporting can push them toward

    changing
    >> their abusive misbehavior.
    >>
    >>> I can only assume
    >>> that someone is using one or more of my email addresses to send out
    >>> loads of spam.

    >> You mean spam is being sent with your address as the forged From.
    >>
    >>> Is there anything I can do to stop this?

    >> You can take action by reporting the servers which are misdirecting

    the
    >> belatedbounces to you. You cannot stop a spamgenerator from using
    >> whatever bogus information s/he chooses to in the content of the spam.
    >>
    >>> Would a viral program have
    >>> been installed on my computer to achieve this or is some other method
    >>> used?

    >> The spam in/of your question is not coming from your computer.

    Whether
    >> or not you have some other spam which doesn't have your From address
    >> coming from/ being injected by/ your computer if it were a proxytrojan
    >> is a completely different possibility.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter
    >>

    > translate plz, demmmmmmmmm

    Learn english, you top-poasting imbecile.

    --
    You incredible load of laughable ape shit.
    John Holmes, Jun 3, 2007
  12. Alasdair

    Jerry G. Guest

    If it is not your computer that is sending out the emails because it has
    a Trojan, then some Spammer is most likely using your address as a
    return address to send out his Spam. This is a common practice.
    Eventually, he will most likely pick up a new address after enough of
    the recipients start filtering out the address he is using.

    One solution is to change your address. You should be using a
    changeable address, or a public address such as a Yahoo or Hotmail
    address for your public correspondence. When participating in the
    newsgroups, you should munge your address, so that it can not be easily
    harvested.

    The act of using someone else's address is common practice with
    Spammers. At present, I have the same problem, and it has happened
    before. I ignore it.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Jun 3, 2007