Taking care of noisy videocards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigal, Jan 19, 2006.

1. bigal

bigal

I have been listening to one of my computers make periodic noise soon after it boots. The noise was more like a whine, like a bearing going out. It would come and go, but mostly occurred during the first 15 minutes of running. The first time I took it down to my workbench and fired it up, I found the problem - the stock GPU cooler on the Geforce 5700 Ultra was doing it's thing. I touched it, and the noise stopped. Hey I thought, maybe that's all it needed - tender loving care.

So I put the machine back in service, and it was fine for a few days. Then the noise returned. So last night I went though my stock of parts and found the solution - a Vantec Iceberq 4. I bought this 2 years ago, and even though it wasn't rated for the 5700 card (it was rated for the 5600 - close enough in my book), I was determined to make it work.

As it turned out, my biggest problem was the small mounting holes around the GPU chip package. The normal push-pins were too big, so I found a couple of skinny wood screws and screwed down the new GPU cooler assembly, being careful to add thermal paste beforehand and then to go easy in the torque so I didn't crush the die. As you can see in the pictures, it went well, but now I have two long screws poking out the back of the card. Perhaps I should hang little red flags on the ends, or maybe I should just cut them off the next time I have the case open. Right now it's nice and quiet, and I have two blue LEDs glowing from the plastic blade area.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
    bigal, Jan 19, 2006
    1. Advertising

2. bigal

unholy

is it just me or did u actuall make new holes :|.

If you did, welcome to the massive and totally super uber dangerous world of modding working exlectronics! :)

unholy, Jan 19, 2006
    1. Advertising

3. bigal

bigal

It's just you.

No, I'm not stupid enough to drill new holes in a PCB. Who knows what trace you might cut by drilling at a new location? I used existing holes that were too small for the GPU cooler push-pins to pass through. I solved this by using actual wood screws to screw into the holes, and they were a tight-enough fit to hold the GPU cooler in place. These holes I used were not the same ones that the old GPU cooler was using with the push-pins. In the bottom-left picture, you can see one of the larger holes that were too far away from the GPU cooler mounting points.:musicus:

bigal, Jan 19, 2006
  4. bigal

The Modfather

Yep, I see what you did there, clever. :)

The Modfather, Jan 19, 2006
  5. bigal

Gez

nice work... kinda dumb leaving those screws open like that though... i would have at least put tape on the ends of them...

Gez, Jan 19, 2006
  6. bigal

unholy

This is why i thought you drilled through.

[​IMG]

but then if u look in the last picture the cooler must be rotated more for the screw to go to the right place without needing to drill.

Attached Files:

unholy, Jan 20, 2006
  7. bigal

bigal

To drill or not to drill...

It might be possible to drill holes through the PCB, but if there are existing holes in there, it's much smarter to figure out a way to use them. I would have made custom brackets before drilling new holes.

I should do something about the screws sticking through the back of the PCB, and maybe I'll use a Dremel disc to trim them down to size. By the way Nathan, your picture processing skills are getting better; picture in a picture looks pretty cool.:razz:

What are you guys working on? Anybody fix something in a unique way? :creep:

bigal, Jan 22, 2006
  8. bigal

unholy

not really but i am planing on getting my AMD 64 X2 SOON!!! w00t :) i can be just like al, except without a 7800gtx :p

unholy, Jan 22, 2006
  9. bigal

bigal

Not GTX....

....it's a GT. Even Big Al can't afford a GTX card.

How are you able to swing an Athlon 64 X2 CPU? Are you saving your pennies, or working for dollars?:hmm2:

bigal, Jan 22, 2006
  10. bigal

unholy

well gt :p i can afford because i save :) i dont spend before i have the money :p unlike Al and his credit card :)

unholy, Jan 23, 2006
  11. bigal

bigal

Don't remind me...

...my Harley-Davidson visa is now carrying a balance over $2k, which I can't pay off right now. Ever since we started attending all these social events (opera, ballet, plays, symphony, etc.), combined with other expenses (computer stuff), it's been tough to get balances paid off. We keep going out to dinner too, and that can amount to easily a few hundred per week. Even my kids cost me $70 per week, to cover their lunches (and a few dinners for my oldest son who is in university).:sleep:

bigal, Jan 23, 2006
  12. bigal

unholy

man tell them once they are legal age, they are on their own, and they have to pay u to live at home :p

unholy, Jan 23, 2006
  13. bigal

XhArD

You mean they have to pay board. That's what it's like at my place, once we reach 18 years old we are given about 2 months to find a job, then we have to start paying board. If we can't afford it, we owe them.

XhArD, Jan 24, 2006
  14. bigal

unholy

yer thats not what happens here, dam sister and brother grrr... i bet i will have to pay board grrrrrrrr.

unholy, Jan 24, 2006
  15. bigal

bigal

The whole idea...

...is to make it difficult for you to continue living at home. The goal is to drive you away from home, so you'll find a job and a girl. What comes after that is purely natural. :dontknow:

bigal, Jan 24, 2006
  16. bigal

unholy

lol bigal, i know what comes after finding a girl. well theres 2 things. 1 thing we all know :p and the other is death :|

unholy, Jan 24, 2006
  17. bigal

The Modfather

Wait wait Wait... HOLD THE PHONE!

Al? Your "Harley Davidson Credit Card" and your "Social Events" including "Opera, Ballet, Plays and the Symphony"? I smell a serious poseur! Time to take the training wheels off that hog and stop being such a Nancy boy. :)

The Modfather, Jan 24, 2006
  18. bigal

bigal

You don't understand...

...she likes to ride with me when it's warm. One member of our WORMS can't even get his wife to go for a ride with him period. I am very lucky she likes to ride with me. I'm not going to jeopardize that over these social events. Besides, some operas, plays, dances, and things of this nature are fine. It's just that we go too often.:sleep:

bigal, Jan 24, 2006
  19. bigal

The Modfather

WHIPPED! :)

<ducking>

The Modfather, Jan 25, 2006
  20. bigal

unholy

i like whipped cream. It makes cream look like chicken to a turkey!

unholy, Jan 25, 2006
    1. Advertising