    howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope or
    repair?
    TIA.

    lucky4fingers, Feb 11, 2007

  2. In article <Xns98D3DA0865A8FwheresTheFifthcom@69.28.173.184>,
    lucky4fingers <> wrote:

    > It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
    > goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
    > howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope or
    > repair?
    > TIA.

    I'll have to get out my A1 and see if it even works after about 20 years.

    It was the most SOLID camera I have ever owned and never let me down.

    thanks for reminding me.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Feb 11, 2007

  3. lucky4fingers

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, lucky4fingers exclaimed (11-Feb-07 12:56 PM):
    > It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
    > goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
    > howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope or
    > repair?
    > TIA.

    There's a known problem with Sony CCDs, your description sounds very
    much like the one plagueing a bunch of Sony camcorders & cameras. I
    know. I have a camcorder with the problem.

    A quick google on 'minolta ccd' brought this up as the first link, the
    A1 is included:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05101101km_ccdalert.asp

    Here's a page with a description of the problem with Sonys:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=DCRHC20&news_id=118

    jmc

    jmc, Feb 11, 2007
  4. lucky4fingers

    Woodsman Guest

    Definitely sounds like the CCD sensor. My A1 went this way one
    morning on power up in late November which is when I found out that
    the A1 has the Sony CCD issue. I had a 3 year fix or replace
    extended warranty from a major camera store and was only 2 1/2 years
    in, so I wasnt worried.

    Off it went on December 5th under store warranty to Sony who still do
    Minolta repair in Canada after Minolta closed shop. After 9 weeks the
    repair order has a note from Sony "To be replaced with a Sony". But
    Sony do not indicate when or what they will replace it with.

    Good luck

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:32:50 +0930, jmc
    <> wrote:

    >Suddenly, without warning, lucky4fingers exclaimed (11-Feb-07 12:56 PM):
    >> It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
    >> goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
    >> howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope or
    >> repair?
    >> TIA.

    >There's a known problem with Sony CCDs, your description sounds very
    >much like the one plagueing a bunch of Sony camcorders & cameras. I
    >know. I have a camcorder with the problem.
    >
    >A quick google on 'minolta ccd' brought this up as the first link, the
    >A1 is included:
    >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05101101km_ccdalert.asp
    >
    >Here's a page with a description of the problem with Sonys:
    >http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=DCRHC20&news_id=118
    >
    >jmc

    -----------------------------
    Wooodsman's Photo Galleries &
    2007 Photo of The Day
    http://woodsman.hubbs.ca

    Woodsman, Feb 11, 2007
  5. lucky4fingers

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:52:12 -0500, Woodsman wrote:

    > Definitely sounds like the CCD sensor. My A1 went this way one
    > morning on power up in late November which is when I found out that
    > the A1 has the Sony CCD issue. I had a 3 year fix or replace
    > extended warranty from a major camera store and was only 2 1/2 years
    > in, so I wasnt worried.
    >
    > Off it went on December 5th under store warranty to Sony who still do
    > Minolta repair in Canada after Minolta closed shop. After 9 weeks the
    > repair order has a note from Sony "To be replaced with a Sony". But
    > Sony do not indicate when or what they will replace it with.

    It was my understanding that Minolta did not 'close shop'. They were
    bought out by Sony. Hence the 'replace with Sony' tag.

    ray, Feb 11, 2007
  6. lucky4fingers

    Doug Robbins Guest

    "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns98D3DA0865A8FwheresTheFifthcom@69.28.173.184>,
    > lucky4fingers <> wrote:
    >
    >> It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
    >> goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
    >> howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope
    >> or
    >> repair?
    >> TIA.

    > I'll have to get out my A1 and see if it even works after about 20 years.
    >
    > It was the most SOLID camera I have ever owned and never let me down.
    >
    > thanks for reminding me.
    >
    > --
    > "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
    > carrying a cross."
    > Sinclair Lewis

    Are you thinking of a Canon A1? Minolta A1's havent been around that long.

    Doug Robbins, Feb 11, 2007
  7. lucky4fingers

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Doug Robbins exclaimed (12-Feb-07 2:20 AM):
    > "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <Xns98D3DA0865A8FwheresTheFifthcom@69.28.173.184>,
    >> lucky4fingers <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
    >>> goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
    >>> howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope
    >>> or
    >>> repair?
    >>> TIA.

    >> I'll have to get out my A1 and see if it even works after about 20 years.
    >>
    >> It was the most SOLID camera I have ever owned and never let me down.
    >>
    >> thanks for reminding me.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
    >> carrying a cross."
    >> Sinclair Lewis

    > Are you thinking of a Canon A1? Minolta A1's havent been around that long.

    Nope. Minolta A1s are definitely on the list of affected cameras.

    jmc

    jmc, Feb 12, 2007