  1. Any suggestions on how to take a picture of a diamond set in a ring?

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Jun 17, 2006

  2. Barry L. Wallis

    Tony Rice Guest

    "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in news:xE_kg.98048
    $TK1.54540@fed1read06:

    > Any suggestions on how to take a picture of a diamond set in a ring?

    -Tripod
    -Dark background (black velvet?)
    -As pure of a white light source as you can find.
    -Light it from 2 sides (90 degrees apart) if you can, look for light to hit
    -the facets where you want to show off the jewlery.

    I've also heard of those clear Rubbermaid storage tubs to house the item in
    to diffuse the light.

    I once used a collapsable white laundry basket to photograph a small item I
    was putting on ebay. The bottom had the effect of an infinity backdrop as
    it sloped from the bottom to the wall. Lit it from outside and it came out
    surprisingly good.

    Tony Rice, Jun 17, 2006

  3. Tony Rice wrote:
    > "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in news:xE_kg.98048
    > $TK1.54540@fed1read06:
    >
    >> Any suggestions on how to take a picture of a diamond set in a ring?

    > -Tripod

    Check.

    > -Dark background (black velvet?)

    Check.

    > -As pure of a white light source as you can find.
    > -Light it from 2 sides (90 degrees apart) if you can, look for light to hit
    > -the facets where you want to show off the jewlery.

    I knew this would be the difficult part. I am an amateur and do not have
    any external lights other than a flashlight and the lamps in my house.

    > I've also heard of those clear Rubbermaid storage tubs to house the item in
    > to diffuse the light.
    > I once used a collapsable white laundry basket to photograph a small item I
    > was putting on ebay. The bottom had the effect of an infinity backdrop as
    > it sloped from the bottom to the wall. Lit it from outside and it came out
    > surprisingly good.

    This might be something to try. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Barry L. Wallis

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message
    > Tony Rice wrote:
    >> "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in news:xE_kg.98048
    >> $TK1.54540@fed1read06:
    >>
    >>> Any suggestions on how to take a picture of a diamond set in a ring?

    >> -Tripod

    > Check.
    >
    >> -Dark background (black velvet?)

    > Check.
    >
    >> -As pure of a white light source as you can find.
    >> -Light it from 2 sides (90 degrees apart) if you can, look for light to
    >> hit -the facets where you want to show off the jewlery.

    > I knew this would be the difficult part. I am an amateur and do not have
    > any external lights other than a flashlight and the lamps in my house.
    >
    >> I've also heard of those clear Rubbermaid storage tubs to house the item
    >> in to diffuse the light.
    >> I once used a collapsable white laundry basket to photograph a small item
    >> I was putting on ebay. The bottom had the effect of an infinity backdrop
    >> as it sloped from the bottom to the wall. Lit it from outside and it
    >> came out surprisingly good.

    > This might be something to try. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    >

    > --
    > - Barry

    Good source of white light is outside between hours of dawn and dusk.

    Rudy Benner, Jun 18, 2006
  5. Barry L. Wallis

    Tony Rice Guest

    "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in

    >> -As pure of a white light source as you can find.
    >> -Light it from 2 sides (90 degrees apart) if you can, look for light
    >> to hit -the facets where you want to show off the jewlery.

    > I knew this would be the difficult part. I am an amateur and do not
    > have any external lights other than a flashlight and the lamps in my
    > house.

    If you need some cheep light sources, visit the hardware store and look for
    the clip on lights that take a standard lightbulb and have a aluminum dome
    reflector. Shouldn't be but a couple of bucks. You'll get a yellowish
    light from them but you can try white balancing it either in the camera or
    using your image editing software.

    Since it's digital, you can experiment until you find something that works.

    Tony Rice, Jun 18, 2006
  6. Rudy Benner wrote:
    > "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message
    >> Tony Rice wrote:
    >>> "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in news:xE_kg.98048
    >>> $TK1.54540@fed1read06:

    >>> -Tripod

    >> Check.
    >>
    >>> -Dark background (black velvet?)

    >> Check.
    >>
    >>> -As pure of a white light source as you can find.
    >>> -Light it from 2 sides (90 degrees apart) if you can, look for light to
    >>> hit -the facets where you want to show off the jewlery.

    >> I knew this would be the difficult part. I am an amateur and do not have
    >> any external lights other than a flashlight and the lamps in my house.
    >>
    >>> I've also heard of those clear Rubbermaid storage tubs to house the item
    >>> in to diffuse the light.
    >>> I once used a collapsable white laundry basket to photograph a small item
    >>> I was putting on ebay. The bottom had the effect of an infinity backdrop
    >>> as it sloped from the bottom to the wall. Lit it from outside and it
    >>> came out surprisingly good.

    >> This might be something to try. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    >>

    >> --
    >> - Barry

    > Good source of white light is outside between hours of dawn and dusk.

    That's what I've been doing. It's inexpensive too. :)

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Jun 18, 2006
  7. Barry L. Wallis

    RW+/- Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:39:41 -0700, Barry L. Wallis wrote:

    > Any suggestions on how to take a picture of a diamond set in a ring?

    Use a scanner.

    Easiest, perhaps the clearest, even good for "fingerprinting" the rock/s

    RW+/-, Jun 18, 2006
  8. Barry L. Wallis

    Tony Rice Guest

    "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in news:wA2lg.33935
    $AB3.25463@fed1read02:

    >> Good source of white light is outside between hours of dawn and dusk.

    > That's what I've been doing. It's inexpensive too. :)

    True, but it can be difficult to focus

    Tony Rice, Jun 18, 2006
  9. Barry L. Wallis

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > Any suggestions on how to take a picture of a diamond set in a ring?

    <http://www.webphotoschool.com/all_lessons/sample_lessons/Shooting_Jewelry_For_Auction/index.html>

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Jun 18, 2006
  10. Barry L. Wallis

    Guest

    Scanning can work, but it depends on what effect you want.. Look at
    upmarket jewelers windows (and the areas where they show the best rings
    to clients) and you will notice they often use small halogen
    spotlights. Diffuse light will not give you as sharp reflections and
    refractions, and that is what diamonds are all about..

    Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    > Any suggestions on how to take a picture of a diamond set in a ring?
    >
    > --
    > - Barry

    , Jun 18, 2006