    Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
    day??

    -ChrisCoaster.

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 21, 2011

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > http://www.speedtest.net/
    >
    > It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
    > you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
    > download/upload speeds.
    >
    > Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
    > people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
    > mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
    > was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
    > that swing was during just one test!
    >
    > Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
    > day??
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster.

    And if cable internet was a "shared media" down near the access, would
    you then be surprised by the results ?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_Internet_access

    "Shared bandwidth

    Like most residential broadband technologies, such as FTTX, Satellite
    Internet, or WiMAX, a population of users share the available bandwidth.

    Some technologies share only their core network, while some including
    Cable Internet and PON also share the access network. This arrangement
    allows the network operator to take advantage of statistical multiplexing,
    a bandwidth sharing technique which is employed to distribute bandwidth
    fairly, in order to provide an adequate level of service at an acceptable
    price. However, the operator has to monitor usage patterns and scale the
    network appropriately, to ensure that customers receive adequate service
    even during peak-usage times. If the network operator does not provide
    enough bandwidth for a particular neighborhood, the service can become
    sluggish if many people are using the service at the same time.

    Operators have been known to use a bandwidth cap, or other bandwidth
    throttling technique; users' download speed is limited during peak times,
    if they have downloaded a large amount of data that day.
    "

    My ADSL numbers aren't nearly as good as your cable, so even with the
    rollercoaster performance, you'd still got me beat. My access has more
    consistent performance, but even your "minimum", beats my numbers. So
    you're better off. Be careful what you wish for. My upload speed is
    so poor, about the only thing it would support is a voice connection
    (or a very crappy low bandwidth video connection).

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 21, 2011

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Oct 21, 5:57 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > >http://www.speedtest.net/

    > > It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
    > > you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
    > > download/upload speeds.

    > > Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
    > > people would NOT come off the ride alive!  OTOH, my upload speed is
    > > mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps.  On a download test where my speed
    > > was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change.  And
    > > that swing was during just one test!

    > > Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
    > > day??

    > > -ChrisCoaster.

    > And if cable internet was a "shared media" down near the access, would
    > you then be surprised by the results ?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_Internet_access
    >
    >     "Shared bandwidth
    >
    >      Like most residential broadband technologies, such as FTTX, Satellite
    >      Internet, or WiMAX, a population of users share the available bandwidth.
    >
    >      Some technologies share only their core network, while some including
    >      Cable Internet and PON also share the access network. This arrangement
    >      allows the network operator to take advantage of statistical multiplexing,
    >      a bandwidth sharing technique which is employed to distribute bandwidth
    >      fairly, in order to provide an adequate level of service at anacceptable
    >      price. However, the operator has to monitor usage patterns andscale the
    >      network appropriately, to ensure that customers receive adequate service
    >      even during peak-usage times. If the network operator does notprovide
    >      enough bandwidth for a particular neighborhood, the service can become
    >      sluggish if many people are using the service at the same time..
    >
    >      Operators have been known to use a bandwidth cap, or other bandwidth
    >      throttling technique; users' download speed is limited during peak times,
    >      if they have downloaded a large amount of data that day.
    >     "
    >
    > My ADSL numbers aren't nearly as good as your cable, so even with the
    > rollercoaster performance, you'd still got me beat. My access has more
    > consistent performance, but even your "minimum", beats my numbers. So
    > you're better off. Be careful what you wish for. My upload speed is
    > so poor, about the only thing it would support is a voice connection
    > (or a very crappy low bandwidth video connection).
    >
    >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    _______________________________

    Actually Paul my "guaranteed upload"(that is if I'm sending you
    somthing) is 1.5mbps. I've got that beat: 2.09!

    Guaranteed dowload = 15mbps. Mine: 4.0 to 19mbps final(not
    considering the roller coasters) :)

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 21, 2011
  4. ChrisCoaster

    Chris S. Guest

    "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.speedtest.net/
    >
    > It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
    > you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
    > download/upload speeds.
    >
    > Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
    > people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
    > mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
    > was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
    > that swing was during just one test!
    >
    > Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
    > day??
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster.

    25.38 Mbps Down 5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16

    Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7

    Chris S., Oct 21, 2011
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Oct 21, 6:25 pm, "Chris S." <> wrote:
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > >http://www.speedtest.net/

    > > It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
    > > you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
    > > download/upload speeds.

    > > Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
    > > people would NOT come off the ride alive!  OTOH, my upload speed is
    > > mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps.  On a download test where my speed
    > > was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change.  And
    > > that swing was during just one test!

    > > Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
    > > day??

    > > -ChrisCoaster.

    > 25.38 Mbps Down    5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16
    >
    > Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7- Hide quoted text -

    _________________________
    But look closely at the bottom of the test window - as the line goes
    across does it roller-coaster a lot? Mine does.

    2 minutes before posting this: My Optimum: 21.39 Down 2.10 Up Ping
    11 (my pings are typically 10 to 12)
    My Upload was 1.8, Once, but never again. Otherwise always 2.09 ~
    2.10.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 22, 2011
  6. "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.speedtest.net/
    >
    > It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
    > you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
    > download/upload speeds.
    >
    > Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
    > people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
    > mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
    > was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
    > that swing was during just one test!
    >
    > Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
    > day??

    Download speed swings are a function of the service and the loads upon it.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 22, 2011
  7. "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.speedtest.net/
    >
    > It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
    > you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
    > download/upload speeds.
    >
    > Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
    > people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
    > mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
    > was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
    > that swing was during just one test!
    >
    > Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
    > day??
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster.

    I got speeds of 25.77 and 4.78. I use Verizon FiOS.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 22, 2011
  8. "Chris S." <> wrote in message

    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.speedtest.net/
    >>
    >> It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
    >> you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
    >> download/upload speeds.
    >>
    >> Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
    >> people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
    >> mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
    >> was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
    >> that swing was during just one test!
    >>
    >> Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
    >> day??
    >>
    >> -ChrisCoaster.

    > 25.38 Mbps Down 5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16
    >
    > Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7

    You ping is slow. My ping is 9. I also have FiOS.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 22, 2011
  9. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Oct 22, 12:48 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "Chris S." <> wrote in message

    > > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    > >>http://www.speedtest.net/

    > >> It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
    > >> you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
    > >> download/upload speeds.

    > >> Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
    > >> people would NOT come off the ride alive!  OTOH, my upload speed is
    > >> mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps.  On a download test where my speed
    > >> was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change.  And
    > >> that swing was during just one test!

    > >> Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
    > >> day??

    > >> -ChrisCoaster.

    > > 25.38 Mbps Down    5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16

    > > Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7

    > You ping is slow. My ping is 9. I also have FiOS.

    _____________________
    Still, both our pings are faster than the average suggested by the
    site: http://pingtest.net/learn.php Anything less than 50ms is
    considered acceptable. Before my harddrive replacement I used to get
    pings between 5 & 10ms! Nowadays 11 - 15 is normal for me.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 30, 2011
  10. ChrisCoaster

    Joe J Guest

    > On Oct 22, 12:48 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >> "Chris S." <> wrote in message

    >> > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    >> > 25.38 Mbps Down 5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16

    >> > Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7

    >> You ping is slow. My ping is 9. I also have FiOS.

    > Still, both our pings are faster than the average suggested by the
    > site: http://pingtest.net/learn.php Anything less than 50ms is
    > considered acceptable. Before my harddrive replacement I used to get
    > pings between 5 & 10ms! Nowadays 11 - 15 is normal for me.
    >
    > -CC

    I'm so envious. I'm TW Cable. 10.6 down, 1M up and a ping of 21ms.
    I have the 3 way bundle, cable, phone & internets for $130 per month.
    What does your FiOS cost?

    Joe J, Oct 31, 2011