    http://dpnow.com/2880.html

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com
    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Digital Photography Now

    DaveG Guest

    Sometime on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 09:00:53 +0000, Digital Photography Now
    scribbled:

    > If you fancy a bit of fun turning a drab snapshot into something more
    > interesting, fun or dramatic, why no have a go at the DPNow.com Photo Fix
    > Challenge?
    >
    > It's all explained here:
    >
    > http://dpnow.com/2880.html
    >
    > Digital Photography Now
    > http://dpnow.com

    Yeah, sign up to dpnow and continue to get spammed months after you have
    supposedly been unsubscribed.

    --
    Dave
    Our business in life is not to succeed,
    DaveG, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Dave - that is most certainly *not* our intention. We only have one active
    subscriber list and that is for our newsletter. The Photo Fix Challenge is
    not connected to that. If you have unsubscribed from the newsletter or from
    an older list and you don't think it worked, email and I'll
    see to it personally that the problem is sorted out.

    We have never sold subscriber information to a third party and only very
    occasionally passed such information on to third parties when we have made
    it very clear that we might do this and *always* with an option to opt out.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Digital Photography Now

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Digital Photography Now" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - that is most certainly *not* our intention. We only have one active
    > subscriber list and that is for our newsletter. The Photo Fix Challenge is
    > not connected to that. If you have unsubscribed from the newsletter or
    > from an older list and you don't think it worked, email and
    > I'll see to it personally that the problem is sorted out.
    >
    > We have never sold subscriber information to a third party and only very
    > occasionally passed such information on to third parties when we have made
    > it very clear that we might do this and *always* with an option to opt
    > out.

    Thanks for admitting that you do spam, and you pass the information along to
    other spammers, as you have made clear. Just who are these "third parties"
    and what do they do with the info?

    And anyone with a brain knows that opt-out plans are simply a scam to verify
    a working e-mail address. Nice try, but please spam some other NG.

    Kinon O'Cann, Aug 9, 2006
  5. Digital Photography Now

    bugbear Guest

    Digital Photography Now wrote:
    > If you fancy a bit of fun turning a drab snapshot into something more
    > interesting, fun or dramatic, why no have a go at the DPNow.com Photo Fix
    > Challenge?

    If you want a really good forum on retouch
    challenges, with good advice, all free, go here:

    http://www.retouchpro.com/
    http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/

    BugBear (who has learnt vastly at that site)
    bugbear, Aug 9, 2006
  6. Look, I bend over backwards to protect the interests of DPNow.com readers.
    I'm a professional journalist of 22 years reputation. I set up DPNow five
    years ago as a serious resource for people interested in digital
    photography. It's a labour of love. I abhor spammers and spamming and if you
    wish to associate DPNow with this activity I must protest. If you think that
    DPNow is guilty of spamming and stealing innocent people's details for such
    an activity a) show me the evidence and b) if you can't, will you apologise?
    I urge you to save your energies for fighting those that really deserve it.

    To answer your question, if we get a sponsor for a competion that asks for
    the details of entrants, we make it clear to them that they can only expect
    the details of entrants if these entrants individually grant permission. We
    will never run a competition like this without this stipulation and the vast
    majority of competitions the sponsor does not ask for entrants details
    anyway. And we would never run a competition on these terms with a sponsor
    who is not reputable. This month's competition is to win a Casio digital
    camera and is sponsored by Casio, but they have not asked for entrants
    details and even if they asked now, we would not provide them. It's been
    many months since we ran a competition where the sponsor requested entrants
    details.

    Assuming you're not just a troll out to wind up someone like me who takes
    these accusations seriously, you're shooting at your own side and unfairly
    tarnishing what I believe is good reputation. If you are a troll, well,
    touché.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  7. That's a very good site and we certainly aspire to emulate and develop our
    own take on what they have achieved.

    Variety is the spice of life, after all!

    By the way, DPNow doesn't charge readers or visitors anything. The
    subscription newsletter we run is completely free too.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Digital Photography Now

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    I am not saying your a spammer or not. However, there are major trust issues
    and the fact that you share our information makes that trust issue even more
    of an issue. Like the one guy asked how do you know what those third parties
    do with the information once you pass it along. Frankly, you shouldn't be
    passing it along. It is our information and we DO NOT expressly give you or
    anyone else rights to give it away, sell it or otherwise. You have a lot of
    nerve. If you really want to be a good business and web site you would do
    more to consider things like this.

    The last thing I need is you helping spammers send me more spam for dick
    pills and prescription medications.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 9, 2006
  9. Digital Photography Now

    DaveG Guest

    Sometime on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:26:04 +0000, Digital Photography Now
    scribbled:

    > Dave - that is most certainly *not* our intention. We only have one active
    > subscriber list and that is for our newsletter. The Photo Fix Challenge is
    > not connected to that. If you have unsubscribed from the newsletter or from
    > an older list and you don't think it worked, email and I'll
    > see to it personally that the problem is sorted out.

    Yes, it's the newsletter I was referring to. I may have done you a
    disservice by calling it spamming for which I apologise but I have
    unsubscribed at least twice, possibly three times each time a new
    newsletter has turned up.

    I can say that I've never received email from any other source on that
    email address as I create new and unique addresses for all subscriptions
    so I can easily identify "rogue" companies who pass on details without my
    permission. You are not one of them.

    I've emailed you the details of the address
    DaveG, Aug 9, 2006
  10. Digital Photography Now

    Joe Guest

    Already done at Worth1000.com.

    Now if you want to gain interest, how-a-bout an erotic version of
    worth1000.com? Now that would be interesting.

    Joe, Aug 9, 2006
  11. Digital Photography Now

    DaveG Guest

    Sometime on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:47:59 -0700, Hebee Jeebes scribbled:

    > I am not saying your a spammer or not. However, there are major trust issues
    > and the fact that you share our information makes that trust issue even more
    > of an issue. Like the one guy asked how do you know what those third parties
    > do with the information once you pass it along. Frankly, you shouldn't be
    > passing it along. It is our information and we DO NOT expressly give you or
    > anyone else rights to give it away, sell it or otherwise. You have a lot of
    > nerve. If you really want to be a good business and web site you would do
    > more to consider things like this.
    >
    > The last thing I need is you helping spammers send me more spam for dick
    > pills and prescription medications.

    In his defence, you obviously didn't read what he wrote. See below
    highlighted section below of the post you replied to.:

    DaveG, Aug 9, 2006
  12. Digital Photography Now

    DaveG Guest

    Sometime on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:26:04 +0000, Digital Photography Now
    scribbled:

    > Dave - that is most certainly *not* our intention. We only have one active
    > subscriber list and that is for our newsletter. The Photo Fix Challenge is
    > not connected to that. If you have unsubscribed from the newsletter or from
    > an older list and you don't think it worked, email and I'll
    > see to it personally that the problem is sorted out.

    I've just checked through he email logs. there's a gap in emailed
    newsletter between 24th Feb'06 and 26th Jul'06. I'm sure I receieved some
    during that gap time but could it be that you restored a back-up mailing
    list at some point? I'm fairly sure I've not been getting one every month
    although I'm also sure that I've had more than one since Feb'05.

    DaveG, Aug 9, 2006
  13. I'm sure that there is a complete misunderstanding here.

    DPNow does not give third parties any personal information given by
    individuals to DPNow unless an individual tells us it's OK and even then, we
    are hardly ever (in other words only very occasionally) asked for this kind
    of information anyway. What is the problem with that?

    If we were doing something wrong, don't you think we'd be hearing about it
    from our readers? We might get one or two emails per month and these are
    usually misunderstandings and yet around 20,000 individuals have registered
    with DPNow over the years.

    Of course it is your information and so we would not give it to anyone else
    without your permission. How much clearer can I get? I actually can't see
    much difference in our points of view - we both hate spam and expect that
    our personal information should not be passed on to third parties without
    our permission - except you seem to be convinced I'm actually doing that and
    I'm *really* not.

    I don't know how much clearer I can be.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  14. Hurrah! Sanity at last.

    I've received your email and we are on the case.

    I'm just so relieved that my protestations of innocence have been
    vindicated.

    On the other hand, it does look like your unsubscribe action failed and for
    that I can only apologise. I'm sure we'll resolve this.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  15. > To answer your question, if we get a sponsor for a competion that asks for
    > the details of entrants, we make it clear to them that they can only expect
    > the details of entrants if these entrants individually grant permission.

    How do you go about asking for that permission? Mass email? Or a
    checkbox on some form opting into "targeted marketing campaigns from our
    associates"? And as a matter of interest, what sort of percentage of
    entrants say "yes"?

    You've got to accept that the way you're doing business here doesn't
    look great. You're cross posting what is basically an advert for your
    website to a whole bunch of newsgroups, and when challenged you
    confirmed "We have ... passed such information on to third parties ... "
    You can sweeten that with "we don't do it very often," "we make it clear
    we do it" and "you can opt out," but it's hard to avoid the underlying
    message.

    You come across as a sincere and decent sounding person, but cross
    posting, spamming multiple newsgroups with your advert, and admitting
    you do send subscriber information to third parties unless they
    specifically opt out isn't sincere or decent behaviour in many people's
    opinion. As you'll have noticed.
    Derek Fountain, Aug 10, 2006
  16. "Derek Fountain" <> wrote in message
    >> To answer your question, if we get a sponsor for a competion that asks
    >> for the details of entrants, we make it clear to them that they can only
    >> expect the details of entrants if these entrants individually grant
    >> permission.

    > How do you go about asking for that permission? Mass email? Or a checkbox
    > on some form opting into "targeted marketing campaigns from our
    > associates"? And as a matter of interest, what sort of percentage of
    > entrants say "yes"?

    It's always a check option on the form - no mass mailing; you have to go to
    the form page voluntarily if you are interested. Off the top of my head -
    it's a while since we did one of these - its roughly a 50/50 split.

    > You've got to accept that the way you're doing business here doesn't look
    > great. You're cross posting what is basically an advert for your website
    > to a whole bunch of newsgroups, and when challenged you confirmed "We have
    > ... passed such information on to third parties ... " You can sweeten that
    > with "we don't do it very often," "we make it clear we do it" and "you can
    > opt out," but it's hard to avoid the underlying message.

    Well, I don't promote the more commercial offerings (indeed, like the
    sponsored prize competitions, for example) on resource groups like
    rec.photo.digital. I do on competion groups though - no complaints there.
    I'm an enthusiast at heart and dip in and out of different groups, often
    joining in threads and trying to help others if i can. I honestly think that
    the Photo Fix Challenge (which is not sponsored) I'm running will be of
    interest to some here - certainly not offensive. There's plenty of other
    silly offensive off topic stuff here anyway.

    > You come across as a sincere and decent sounding person, but cross
    > posting, spamming multiple newsgroups with your advert, and admitting you
    > do send subscriber information to third parties unless they specifically
    > opt out isn't sincere or decent behaviour in many people's opinion. As
    > you'll have noticed.

    I believe the let's assume he's a guilty bastard first reaction is, well,
    natural. I didn't actually bring up the subject of spamming. Someone else
    did and he later politely conceded that he was in error (even if because of
    a misunderstanding caused by an innocent and luckily rare failure on our
    part, for which I apologised).

    At least out of the no doubt hundreds or thousands who have probably read
    this thread, only 3 or 4 seem to have registered some objection and I still
    think mostly through a misunderstanding that, hopefully, has been put right.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com
    Digital Photography Now, Aug 10, 2006