    first?

    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin Cossio, Nov 29, 2004

  2. MS Press books are ok, but you're better off making sure you understand the
    objectives at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.asp and
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-272.asp . Do a lot of hands-on
    with XP and get a thorough understanding of what makes it tick, try
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../all/proddocs/en-us/hs_exploring_windows.mspx
    as a good reference point for any area you're not sure about.
    As for taking both exams in one day, have you sat any MS Exams before? If
    so, you know they can be draining. You also have the option of doing one
    exam in the morning and then, if you feel confident, ask the test centre to
    register and download the second exam in the afternoon. As for the order of
    the exams, which area do you feel confident in? Operating System or
    Supporting Applications?

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    Wayne McGlinn, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Kevin Cossio

    thunder Guest

    Ihave just passed the both exams. Take the 271 exam first
    and then the 272. I found that you need a good
    understanding of exam 271 to be able to pass the second
    one. I found the 272 exam tough as compared to 271.

    all the best

    thunder, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Kevin Cossio

    Kevin Cossio Guest

    I have not taken any MS exams before. However, I have over
    a year experience administering a 2k domain at work in a
    mixed (2k / XP) environment. I've installed 2000 and XP
    (home and pro) many many times, no unattended
    installations though. I have been using XP (home and pro)
    since it came out on a daily basis, and I consider myself
    a knowledgeable user. I'm comfortable editing the
    registry, troubleshooting network problems. I have done
    alot of programming in visual basic 6 and .net. I have
    worked with group policy and local security policies. I
    deal with end user problems daily "my printer is'nt
    working", "word is doing wierd things", "how do i...",
    etc...

    I intend on working on MCSA and MCSE, however, since I
    have never taken any ms exams before, I decided to start
    on this cert since it only takes 2 exams to attain.

    I am leaning toward doing 271 first then 272 after and not
    take the tests on the same day.

    Has anyone tried the MS e-learning
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/elearning.asp online
    courses? Are they worth the $350?

    Thanks for the replies!
    Kevin C.

    p/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_exploring_windows.mspx

    Kevin Cossio, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Never tried E-Learning, only Instructor led and self study, good luck!

    Wayne

    Wayne McGlinn, Dec 1, 2004
  6. Obviously neither helped much

    Brighton Rocks, Dec 1, 2004
  7. Kevin Cossio

    BuyMoreParts Guest

    I agree with "thunder" -- do the 271 exam first since it establishes some
    fundamentals that will be helpful in 272. Plus, there is come overlap
    between the two in areas such as file system security and desktop settings.
    For 271, find a box you can beat up by doing repeated installs (sysprep,
    winnt, CD-based with winnt.sif) and that you can break for troubleshooting
    (Recovery console, last known good, etc.). Stay away from Service Pack 2
    since it is not included in the exam objectives yet but does make some core
    changes to the OS and dialog boxes. Your background supporting Win2K boxes
    will be very helpful in completing this exam

    272 may seem a little more foreign if you do not use Office 2003 or
    Outlook/Outlook Express in your company. I found you will have to review
    the material a little more carefully to find all the ways that Microsoft
    "recommends" for supporting these products and the basic Windows desktop.

    Good luck!

    BuyMoreParts, Dec 1, 2004
  8. Kevin Cossio

    T-Bone Guest

    "Brighton Pox" <> wrote
    > Obviously neither helped much

    Says the braindumper...
    T-Bone, Dec 1, 2004
  9. well really T-Bone...if you think about it (don't worry, the pain will
    pass)...when you use braindumps and then resource the answers to confirm that
    they are correct, it really isn't a bad thing! Or have you failed to look at
    it that way?

    Brighton Rocks, Dec 2, 2004
  10. Kevin Cossio

    T-Bone Guest

    "Brighton Rocks" <> wrote
    > well really T-Bone...if you think about it (don't worry, the pain will
    > pass)...when you use braindumps and then resource the answers to confirm

    that
    > they are correct, it really isn't a bad thing! Or have you failed to look

    at
    > it that way?

    No, but you have failed to look at it the correct way...

    * The reason for braindump materials is for cheating. It allows people to
    pass their exams by memorizing the test answers rather than knowing what
    they are doing. *

    ..... That still applies whether you chose to use it that way or not. So if
    you are just going to use it as you described, why not use a legitimate
    practice exam rather than a dump?

    By giving money to these assfsckers to get the exam questions, you are
    encouraging them to continue allowing people to cheat. Thereby creating a
    whole bunch of Microsoft "certified" idiots out there who don't have a clue
    what they are doing. These people then try to get jobs using these
    certifications. If they are found out before they are hired, the people they
    work for soon realize that they are idiots. This devalues having a
    certification, because now the company is no longer willing to pay extra for
    a certification.

    The questions are acquired by cheating. Using them for any reason is
    cheating. If you feel any different I would encourage you to contact tctips
    at microsoft and explain your story. Using your real address of course, and
    don't hide behind some anonymous poster like you do here.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    Hallelujah!... Holy sh*t!... Where's the tylenol?
    T-Bone, Dec 2, 2004
  11. <applause>
    well said mate.
    </applause>

    Wayne

    Wayne McGlinn, Dec 3, 2004
  12. Kevin Cossio

    Use Burners Guest

    The second test (272) has 55 questions from a bank of
    145. The first test has a much larger test bank. You can
    take both in one day if you go to measureup.com and prep
    using their practice tests. 880 on both, two days though.

    Use Burners, Dec 3, 2004
  13. oh dear T-Bone...dear dear T-Bone.
    You do get uptight easily - what's wrong hun - upset because you have no say
    in ridding the world of these "idiots" and only get to work alongside them.
    *sigh - it's tough at the bottom eh!

    and what's with all the ass stuff? Little fetish there hey? ;-)
    Did daddy love you a little too much?

    Brighton Rocks, Dec 6, 2004
  14. Kevin Cossio

    T-Bone Guest

    "Brighton Pox" <> wrote
    > You do get uptight easily - what's wrong hun - upset because you have no

    say
    > in ridding the world of these "idiots" and only get to work alongside

    them.

    Well, we do have a say. My goal is to try and educate as well as entertain.
    However, some people don't care and have to learn their lesson the hard way.
    So far you have shown that all you are capable of is promoting br@indumps
    and making homo-erotic remarks.

    I should have done this earlier. Of course its not going to stop you from
    making some sort of half-baked reply. *plonk*

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Dec 6, 2004
  15. oh I don't know - obviously amuses me as much as it does you.
    *Super T-Bone to the rescue...thrrrrrpppppppppppp maybe not then!

    Brighton Rocks
    MCNGP XXXXXXXXXXXXXL

    Brighton Rocks, Dec 6, 2004