    have 7 years experience as a Systems Administrator so I think I should be ok
    but just wanted to get other opinions.

    Thanks!

    Kevin, Dec 3, 2009

  2. "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm looking to get my MCSE (might go for my MCSA first) to help find a
    > job.
    > How hard is it to get the certificate without doing a class or bootcamp?

    That depends on:
    [a] Your relevant experience with the product(s), and
    Your ability to self-teach and comprehensively absorb the material, and
    [c] Your discpline in properly setting up and working through *all* of the
    exercises contained in the training materials.

    > I don't really have a lot of extra cash right now so I was thinking about
    > going
    > at it the cheaper way and just buying the books and studying from there. I
    > have 7 years experience as a Systems Administrator so I think I should be
    > ok
    > but just wanted to get other opinions.

    Seven years is a big chunk of change. Truth is, the majority of cert
    candidates go the self-study route, in fact, I might be so bold as to
    suggest taht those who invest in classroom training are the ones trying to
    get a "quick cert", and don't actually have the experience to go with the
    cert in the first place. (Actually, that's not entirely fair, as *some*
    people do learn better with instructor-led training rather than self-study,
    and those persons should not be maligned for their choice of training
    methodologies.)

    Go for it!

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Dec 3, 2009