    new laptop as well or he should have already installed any hardware/software
    for this to be possible. Please let me know, if any of you have any idea of
    any way of tracking down.

    Dan, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Dan

    Techie Guest

    kiss it good-bye if you did not install the tracking company's software
    before it was stolen.

    --
    Techie
    MCNGP #21
    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > My friend recently bought a Toshiba laptop, but it was stolen within a
    > couple days. He doesn't have insurance on it and he is quite upset. I read
    > somewhere that if this stolen laptop is ever connected to the internet,

    the

    Techie, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Dan

    Tim Kettring Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message
    > kiss it good-bye if you did not install the tracking company's software
    > before it was stolen.

    Even if he did , wouldnt reformatting the hard drive remove it ?

    Tim Kettring, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Dan

    Techie Guest

    not sure but would like to know. I wondered if that was the case but can't
    get a answer. I was told by one company that the product became part of the
    BIOS of the machine but could not confirm it.

    --
    Techie
    MCNGP #21

    Techie, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Dan

    tharun Guest

    this will work for a

    tharun, Jun 28, 2004
  6. Dan

    Consultant Guest

    sure, check here::

    www.ileftmylaptopinmycarandsomeonestoleitpleasehelpme.com

    Consultant, Jun 28, 2004
  7. Dan

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Jun 28, 2004
  8. Dan

    ME Guest

    it is secured site
    try https:

    ME, Jun 28, 2004
  9. Dan

    JaR Guest

    Techie wrote:
    > not sure but would like to know. I wondered if that was the case but can't
    > get a answer. I was told by one company that the product became part of the
    > BIOS of the machine but could not confirm it.

    Theoretically speaking, wouldn't it be possible to locate it by MAC address?

    Hmmmm...

    JaR, Jun 28, 2004
  10. Dan

    kpg Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > # Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\132601.htm (6/28/2004 11:59:45

    AM) #
    > Techie wrote:
    > > not sure but would like to know. I wondered if that was the case but

    can't
    > > get a answer. I was told by one company that the product became part of

    the
    > > BIOS of the machine but could not confirm it.
    > >

    > Theoretically speaking, wouldn't it be possible to locate it by MAC

    address?

    > Hmmmm...

    Do MAC Addresses get sent over the Internet?

    Or is that just for LANs?

    kp "I really should pay more attention in class" g

    kpg, Jun 28, 2004
  11. Dan

    Neil Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in news:uySNVGTXEHA.2908
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > Do MAC Addresses get sent over the Internet?
    >
    > Or is that just for LANs?

    Mac address for NIC would be repleaced with MAC for router when packet
    passes the router...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jun 28, 2004
  12. Dan

    JaR Guest

    kpg wrote:

    >>Theoretically speaking, wouldn't it be possible to locate it by MAC

    > address?
    >
    >>Hmmmm...

    > Do MAC Addresses get sent over the Internet?
    >
    > Or is that just for LANs?
    >
    > kp "I really should pay more attention in class" g

    No, they would get stripped off at the router.

    But there's this feeling that there oughta be a way to send a query to
    routers looking for a specific MAC addy.

    Prolly not.

    JaR

    JaR, Jun 28, 2004
  13. Dan

    JaR Guest

    Neil wrote:

    > "kpg" <> wrote in news:uySNVGTXEHA.2908
    > @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    >

    >>Do MAC Addresses get sent over the Internet?
    >>
    >>Or is that just for LANs?

    > Mac address for NIC would be repleaced with MAC for router when packet
    > passes the router...

    Ya beat me. But still...

    JaR
    Late Thug

    JaR, Jun 28, 2004
  14. Dan

    Neil Guest

    JaR <> wrote in news:#WkfynTXEHA.1684
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > But there's this feeling that there oughta be a way to send a query to
    > routers looking for a specific MAC addy.

    ARP caches are usually short - 2 minutes if used recently and 10 if not,
    IIRC. so a log of all arp's in the last x amount of time would only give
    you what's occured in the last 2 minutes unless some finnegalin' was
    done...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jun 28, 2004
  15. Dan

    Neil Guest

    JaR <> wrote in news:u5gEOoTXEHA.1684
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > Ya beat me. But still...

    you're just a litle slow...
    ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jun 28, 2004
  16. Dan

    billyw Guest

    i believe the bush administation are working on something to tag all
    communication devices and therefore locate at will..
    that way any stolen laptops will be recovered..
    but then you will be too busy worrying about the latest "terror alert" to
    think straight.
    my bet is that come november the terror alert will be at red... just to
    remind you how much geo is doing for you guys... basically he's like a
    stupid pick pocket

    billyw, Jun 28, 2004
  17. Dan

    billyw Guest

    and we would find this laptop how...????

    billyw, Jun 28, 2004
  18. Dan

    JaR Guest

    billyw wrote:

    > i believe the bush administation are working on something to tag all
    > communication devices and therefore locate at will..
    > that way any stolen laptops will be recovered..
    > but then you will be too busy worrying about the latest "terror alert" to
    > think straight.
    > my bet is that come november the terror alert will be at red... just to
    > remind you how much geo is doing for you guys... basically he's like a
    > stupid pick pocket

    And you are starting to sound like a broken record.

    Just because we're out to get you is no good reason to act all paranoid.

    JaR
    Colonial Thug

    JaR, Jun 28, 2004
  19. Dan

    kpg Guest

    > But there's this feeling that there oughta be a way to send a query to
    > routers looking for a specific MAC addy.

    ACLU, ACLU, Where are you????

    Screw the damn laptop, I don't want the IRS to know where I'm at.

    k paranoid g

    kpg, Jun 28, 2004
  20. Dan

    Neil Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in news:eQmoSKUXEHA.3016
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > Screw the damn laptop, I don't want the IRS to know where I'm at.

    f/u to Mark W. Everson, Commissioner of Internal Revenue

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jun 28, 2004