Tablet PC Question For A Disability ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Thinking about a Tablet PC for a person who has a disability.

    The idea of using a stylus really sounds good for them.

    But, wanted to see one first, as I've never played with any Tablet PC
    myself.

    Comp USA is closed now around our way.
    Circuit City has none on display.
    Best Buy has none on display.

    Seems like in a few years there will be no stores of any kind anymore, and
    you'll have to purchase everything on the web.

    Anyway, really hate to buy one blindly.

    Was wondering about how one enters data, e.g., into a WORD document, or how
    one composes e-mails using
    the stylus ?

    Do you call up a "virtual" keyboard on the screen, and just tap the
    appropriate letter with the stylus ?

    Or, do you use some built in hand writing recognition program, and just
    write normally on the screen ?
    Is this really "perfected" yet ? (sure don't want them to have to use
    Grafiti)

    Or, ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Jun 27, 2007

  2. Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Thinking about a Tablet PC for a person who has a disability.
    >
    > The idea of using a stylus really sounds good for them.
    >
    > But, wanted to see one first, as I've never played with any Tablet PC
    > myself.
    >
    > Comp USA is closed now around our way.
    > Circuit City has none on display.
    > Best Buy has none on display.
    >
    > Seems like in a few years there will be no stores of any kind anymore, and
    > you'll have to purchase everything on the web.
    >
    > Anyway, really hate to buy one blindly.
    >
    > Was wondering about how one enters data, e.g., into a WORD document, or how
    > one composes e-mails using
    > the stylus ?
    >
    > Do you call up a "virtual" keyboard on the screen, and just tap the
    > appropriate letter with the stylus ?

    That is one option.

    > Or, do you use some built in hand writing recognition program, and just
    > write normally on the screen ?

    That is also an option.

    > Is this really "perfected" yet ? (sure don't want them to have to use
    > Grafiti)
    >
    > Or, ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    I have a first generation tablet at home and a second gen tablet at
    work. I have not spent much time on the hand writing recognition, but
    the more you do it, the better the tablet gets at understanding it. My
    preferred method of interacting with the tablet computer is voice
    recognition. You can dictate to it and alternately issue verbal
    commands and switch between doing so on the fly. All of these features
    are built into Windows XP tablet edition. I find with the voice
    recognition that I get about a 90% accuracy rate after the initial
    training, and it improves more with more training. I have to say it
    works pretty well. Hope this helps with you purchase.

    --
    Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
    http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

    "Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
    - T. S. Eliot
    The Poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy, Jun 28, 2007