    This is pretty much tabbed browsing right?

    Seems to be like it's the newest "biggest thing" but I'm sure
    most people have been doing it for years???

    Lukan, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Lukan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Lukan wrote:
    > Since about 1997 when I was using Netscape (and then IE) I would just
    > always open pretty much every link in a new browser window.
    >
    > This is pretty much tabbed browsing right?
    >
    > Seems to be like it's the newest "biggest thing" but I'm sure most
    > people have been doing it for years???

    Huh? Have you actually bothered to read up on this at all?

    A new browser window is NOT a tab. With tabbed browsing you have ONE
    browser window that can contain many URLs/Web pages, each accessible by
    simply clicking a tab in that window.

    Do you use MS Excel workbooks? Same concept. You can have many
    worksheets (spreadsheets) in a single workbook and switch between them
    instantly by clicking on a tab at the bottom of the Excel window.

    There are many programs that use this design paradigm.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Lukan

    PowerPiano17 Guest

    I agree with him. You should have read more into this topic... and get
    Firefox.

    PowerPiano17, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Lukan

    Lukan Guest

    PowerPiano17 wrote:
    > I agree with him. You should have read more into this topic... and get
    > Firefox.

    I've been using Firefox exclusively for years.

    Perhaps my point wasn't made clear - I was just asking if
    anyone else just used multiple browser windows to navigate the
    web (which yields exactly the same RESULT as having multiple
    tabbed windows of the same browser running).

    Since the answer is seemingly no, then I guess I was just a
    genius before my time then? :)

    All the best.

    Lukan, Mar 25, 2006
  5. Lukan

    Paul Guest

    Lukan <> wrote in news:e03fqs$drr$:

    > PowerPiano17 wrote:
    >> I agree with him. You should have read more into this topic... and get
    >> Firefox.

    > I've been using Firefox exclusively for years.
    >
    > Perhaps my point wasn't made clear - I was just asking if
    > anyone else just used multiple browser windows to navigate the
    > web (which yields exactly the same RESULT as having multiple
    > tabbed windows of the same browser running).
    >
    > Since the answer is seemingly no, then I guess I was just a
    > genius before my time then? :)
    >
    > All the best.

    Hi - yes, my habit using IE had been always to right click on any link, and
    select "open in a new window" so that my "source" page was always
    available. In a sense, that is "tabbed browsing", but each tab started a
    new instance of IE which soon clogged system resources. Firefox prevents
    that by opening the tabs without having to re-initiate its program engine
    and therefore saves resources -- a big plus in my mind.

    Paul, Mar 25, 2006
  6. Lukan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Lukan wrote:
    > PowerPiano17 wrote:
    >> I agree with him. You should have read more into this topic... and get
    >> Firefox.

    > I've been using Firefox exclusively for years.
    >
    > Perhaps my point wasn't made clear - I was just asking if anyone else
    > just used multiple browser windows to navigate the web (which yields
    > exactly the same RESULT as having multiple tabbed windows of the same
    > browser running).

    Multiple windows does NOT yield "exactly the same result" as using tabs.
    Multiple windows are not the same as one window with tabs.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Mar 26, 2006
  7. Lukan

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Lukan wrote:
    >
    >>PowerPiano17 wrote:
    >>
    >>>I agree with him. You should have read more into this topic... and get
    >>>Firefox.

    >>I've been using Firefox exclusively for years.
    >>
    >>Perhaps my point wasn't made clear - I was just asking if anyone else
    >>just used multiple browser windows to navigate the web (which yields
    >>exactly the same RESULT as having multiple tabbed windows of the same
    >>browser running).
    >>

    > Multiple windows does NOT yield "exactly the same result" as using tabs.
    > Multiple windows are not the same as one window with tabs.

    plus multiple windows eat more ram than one window with many tabs.

    gwtc, Mar 26, 2006