    simple yet quick and effective way of browsing the web. Tabbed browsing has
    to be a must have feature in my opinion. Well, thats my public outburst,
    time to crawl back to anonymity.
    Bryan McNally, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Bryan McNally

    T.N.O. Guest

    Bryan McNally wrote:

    > I had read a little about web browsing using tabs, but untill now hadn't
    > taken much notice of that feature. I came across a program called crazy
    > Browser which intergrates into Internet explorer and creates a bar to add
    > tabs to. It only took 5 minutes to realise I have been missing out on a
    > simple yet quick and effective way of browsing the web. Tabbed browsing has
    > to be a must have feature in my opinion. Well, thats my public outburst,
    > time to crawl back to anonymity.

    yeah, it is very cool, rather than having a million windows open, I have
    a million tabs instead.
    T.N.O., Oct 30, 2003

  3. Bryan McNally wrote:
    > I had read a little about web browsing using tabs, but untill now hadn't
    > taken much notice of that feature. I came across a program called crazy
    > Browser which intergrates into Internet explorer and creates a bar to add
    > tabs to. It only took 5 minutes to realise I have been missing out on a
    > simple yet quick and effective way of browsing the web. Tabbed browsing has
    > to be a must have feature in my opinion. Well, thats my public outburst,
    > time to crawl back to anonymity.

    Try Mozilla Firebird
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

    uses less system resources and seems to render html faster then IE.
    Robert Bradshaw, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Bryan McNally

    Peter Guest

    Bryan McNally wrote:
    > Tabbed browsing has to be a must have feature in my opinion.

    I agree, and all the good browsers have tabs (Mozilla, Opera, Galeon,
    Konqueror, etc). Tabbed browsing is _much_ more convenient.

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Bryan McNally

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:29:40 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Bryan McNally wrote:
    >> Tabbed browsing has to be a must have feature in my opinion.

    > I agree, and all the good browsers have tabs (Mozilla, Opera, Galeon,
    > Konqueror, etc). Tabbed browsing is _much_ more convenient.

    Galeon is the only browser which allows the tabs to be stacked down the
    left.

    When tabs are stacked along the top or bottom, you only need a few tabs
    open before things get unmanagable.
    Evil Bastard, Oct 31, 2003
  6. On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:31:52 +1300, Evil Bastard
    <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >>> Tabbed browsing has to be a must have feature in my opinion.

    >> I agree, and all the good browsers have tabs (Mozilla, Opera, Galeon,
    >> Konqueror, etc). Tabbed browsing is _much_ more convenient.

    >Galeon is the only browser which allows the tabs to be stacked down the
    >left.

    Incorrect - Opera allows tabs to be stacked left, right, top, or
    bottom.

    (version 7.20, not sure about previous versions)

    >When tabs are stacked along the top or bottom, you only need a few tabs
    >open before things get unmanagable.

    Quite true!

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 31, 2003
  7. Bryan McNally

    Brett Mason Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > yeah, it is very cool, rather than having a million windows open, I have
    > a million tabs instead.

    Its great when you are stuck on dial up too. I open a whole bunch of tabs in
    the background and let them load while I read something else.

    Brett.
    Brett Mason, Oct 31, 2003
  8. Bryan McNally

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter <> wrote:

    > Bryan McNally wrote:
    > > Tabbed browsing has to be a must have feature in my opinion.

    > I agree, and all the good browsers have tabs (Mozilla, Opera, Galeon,
    > Konqueror, etc). Tabbed browsing is _much_ more convenient.

    I agree, although when I tried to convice my father of this convenience,
    he just didn't see a difference. "So how is that different to having X
    number of IE windows open along the bottom?" LOL.

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Oct 31, 2003
  9. Bryan McNally

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:38:36 +0000 (UTC), Bryan McNally
    <> wrote:

    >I had read a little about web browsing using tabs, but untill now hadn't
    >taken much notice of that feature. I came across a program called crazy
    >Browser which intergrates into Internet explorer and creates a bar to add
    >tabs to. It only took 5 minutes to realise I have been missing out on a
    >simple yet quick and effective way of browsing the web. Tabbed browsing has
    >to be a must have feature in my opinion. Well, thats my public outburst,
    >time to crawl back to anonymity.

    I sure like having tabbed windows in my Opera 7.11. It gives you the
    choice anyway, whether you want to open a new link in a new page or a
    new window. You can also choose to open it in the background while
    you are reading a page which is a nice feature. The tab lets you know
    when the new page has finished loading.

    I have noticed that some websites can have their own icons on their
    respective tabs.
    GraB, Oct 31, 2003
  10. Bryan McNally

    ~misfit~ Guest

    madknoxie wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Peter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bryan McNally wrote:
    >>> Tabbed browsing has to be a must have feature in my opinion.

    >> I agree, and all the good browsers have tabs (Mozilla, Opera, Galeon,
    >> Konqueror, etc). Tabbed browsing is _much_ more convenient.

    > I agree, although when I tried to convice my father of this
    > convenience, he just didn't see a difference. "So how is that
    > different to having X number of IE windows open along the bottom?"
    > LOL.

    Humour me for a moment will you? How is it so much better to have tabs than
    multiple instances of IE?

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 31, 2003
  11. Bryan McNally

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <yOrob.3638$>,
    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote:

    > madknoxie wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Peter <> wrote:

    > >> I agree, and all the good browsers have tabs (Mozilla, Opera, Galeon,
    > >> Konqueror, etc). Tabbed browsing is _much_ more convenient.

    > > I agree, although when I tried to convice my father of this
    > > convenience, he just didn't see a difference. "So how is that
    > > different to having X number of IE windows open along the bottom?"
    > > LOL.

    > Humour me for a moment will you? How is it so much better to have tabs than
    > multiple instances of IE?

    Define better, better for me is ease of use. I haven't used Windows much
    for the last couple of years, but using Mozilla under Linux and Safari
    under OS X with tabbed browsing means its easier for me to navigate
    between all the web pages I have open. Its also (IME) quicker to change
    between them. I suspect I would name the same benefits if I was using
    Windows. Maybe there are benefits as far as the use of system resources
    goes, but I wouldn't know.

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Oct 31, 2003
  12. Bryan McNally

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:38:36 +0000 (UTC), Bryan McNally
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I had read a little about web browsing using tabs, but untill now hadn't
    > >taken much notice of that feature. I came across a program called crazy
    > >Browser which intergrates into Internet explorer and creates a bar to add
    > >tabs to. It only took 5 minutes to realise I have been missing out on a
    > >simple yet quick and effective way of browsing the web. Tabbed browsing has
    > >to be a must have feature in my opinion. Well, thats my public outburst,
    > >time to crawl back to anonymity.

    > I sure like having tabbed windows in my Opera 7.11. It gives you the
    > choice anyway, whether you want to open a new link in a new page or a
    > new window. You can also choose to open it in the background while
    > you are reading a page which is a nice feature. The tab lets you know
    > when the new page has finished loading.
    >
    > I have noticed that some websites can have their own icons on their
    > respective tabs.

    Yep, its called a Favicon: http://www.favicon.com
    Funnily enough it stands for Favorites Icon and was made popular by IE.
    A *lot* of browsers will display it now, in their bookmark list, address
    bar, and/or tab.

    Its really simple to add one to your website as well. Just add this
    (after you have made your 16x16 .ico file) between your <head> tags:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.mydomain.com/myicon.ico" />

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Oct 31, 2003
  13. Bryan McNally

    Peter Guest

    madknoxie wrote:

    > Define better, better for me is ease of use.

    Yes, tabbed browsing is simply more convenient.
    When I first tried it (Opera, years ago), I didn't see much in it. But now
    I'm used to it, separate windows is a real irk - as in some links that open
    in separate windows.
    Sometimes, I have to use IE (eg for a deficient web page or VB app) and the
    difference is really noticeable. IE feels so limited and old. And all
    those pop up ads - life is much better without them (I use Mozilla now, on
    Windows and Linux).

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 31, 2003
  14. Bryan McNally

    ~misfit~ Guest

    madknoxie wrote:
    > In article <yOrob.3638$>,
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote:
    >
    >> madknoxie wrote:

    >>> I agree, although when I tried to convice my father of this
    >>> convenience, he just didn't see a difference. "So how is that
    >>> different to having X number of IE windows open along the bottom?"
    >>> LOL.

    >> Humour me for a moment will you? How is it so much better to have
    >> tabs than multiple instances of IE?

    > Define better, better for me is ease of use. I haven't used Windows
    > much for the last couple of years, but using Mozilla under Linux and
    > Safari under OS X with tabbed browsing means its easier for me to
    > navigate between all the web pages I have open. Its also (IME)
    > quicker to change between them. I suspect I would name the same
    > benefits if I was using Windows. Maybe there are benefits as far as
    > the use of system resources goes, but I wouldn't know.

    Thanks. I was being serious. :) I tried Mozilla for all of a few days a
    few iterations ago and didn't feel comfortable with it. I'm just curious is
    all.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 31, 2003
  15. Bryan McNally

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <Xns94256C42F652bryanmesconz@203.109.252.31>,
    says...
    > I had read a little about web browsing using tabs, but untill now hadn't
    > taken much notice of that feature. I came across a program called crazy
    > Browser which intergrates into Internet explorer and creates a bar to add
    > tabs to. It only took 5 minutes to realise I have been missing out on a
    > simple yet quick and effective way of browsing the web. Tabbed browsing has
    > to be a must have feature in my opinion. Well, thats my public outburst,
    > time to crawl back to anonymity.

    Another tabbed browser that uses IE - NetCaptor - (webpage at the
    obvious) - very nice - I hate being without it.

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Oct 31, 2003
  16. Bryan McNally

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <Xns94256C42F652bryanmesconz@203.109.252.31>,
    says...
    > I had read a little about web browsing using tabs, but untill now hadn't
    > taken much notice of that feature. I came across a program called crazy
    > Browser which intergrates into Internet explorer and creates a bar to add
    > tabs to. It only took 5 minutes to realise I have been missing out on a
    > simple yet quick and effective way of browsing the web. Tabbed browsing has
    > to be a must have feature in my opinion. Well, thats my public outburst,
    > time to crawl back to anonymity.

    Hmmph!

    IMO the best improvement ever to MS Office was when MS ditched the MDI
    interface in favour of separate windows for each document.
    Mainlander, Nov 1, 2003
  17. Bryan McNally

    Jerry Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 13:27:39 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <Xns94256C42F652bryanmesconz@203.109.252.31>,
    >says...
    >> I had read a little about web browsing using tabs, but untill now hadn't
    >> taken much notice of that feature. I came across a program called crazy
    >> Browser which intergrates into Internet explorer and creates a bar to add
    >> tabs to. It only took 5 minutes to realise I have been missing out on a
    >> simple yet quick and effective way of browsing the web. Tabbed browsing has
    >> to be a must have feature in my opinion. Well, thats my public outburst,
    >> time to crawl back to anonymity.

    >Hmmph!
    >
    >IMO the best improvement ever to MS Office was when MS ditched the MDI
    >interface in favour of separate windows for each document.

    It was when they dumped the paperclip
    Jerry, Nov 1, 2003
  18. Bryan McNally

    T.N.O. Guest

    madknoxie wrote:
    > I agree, although when I tried to convice my father of this convenience,
    > he just didn't see a difference. "So how is that different to having X
    > number of IE windows open along the bottom?" LOL.

    He has a point... it isnt alot different really.

    However I do think that it would be handy if mozilla had a scroll button
    when you have more tabs open that will display.
    T.N.O., Nov 1, 2003
  19. Bryan McNally

    T.N.O. Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > IMO the best improvement ever to MS Office was when MS ditched the MDI
    > interface in favour of separate windows for each document.

    Funnily enough, I hate this feature...
    T.N.O., Nov 1, 2003
  20. Bryan McNally

    T.N.O. Guest