    in the settings?

    Thanks,
    Dickie
    Dickie Peters, Dec 5, 2006

  2. Dickie Peters wrote:

    > I thought Firefox had tabbed browsing? Maybe what I am looking for is
    > not considered that.
    >
    > With all other browsers I have used (Opera, Flashpeak, IE, Netscape.
    > et al) when you click on a link or type in another URL, a new window
    > will open up, but there is a tab at the top that you can go between
    > pages. I cannot get that with Firefox. I usually have to get hitting
    > the back button or go down to the taskbar and hit the Firefox button,
    > which then opens and all open tabs are there and you have to click
    > onto one to return. Any way around that? I thought I downloaded the
    > tabbed browsing extension. Is there something that should be checked
    > in the settings?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dickie

    Which version of Firefox?

    In 2.0:

    Tools>>Options>>Tabs

    Check the box for New Pages... to select a new tab. Then links that are
    targeted for new windows will open in new tabs.

    Links that are set to open in the same window will continue to do so. So
    will urls typed directly into the location bar. To get all links to open
    in new tabs, right click and select New Tab. Middle clicking should
    also open in a new tab.

    For an address in the location bar, middle click on the Go button, to
    force it to open in a new tab.

    The Tab Mix Plus extension allows much more customization of tab opening:

    http://tmp.garyr.net/

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 5, 2006

  3. Dickie Peters

    Miller Guest

    *Dickie Peters* wrote on 05.12.06 03:48:
    > I thought Firefox had tabbed browsing? Maybe what I am looking for is
    > not considered that.
    >
    > With all other browsers I have used (Opera, Flashpeak, IE, Netscape.
    > et al) when you click on a link or type in another URL, a new window
    > will open up, but there is a tab at the top that you can go between
    > pages. I cannot get that with Firefox. I usually have to get hitting
    > the back button or go down to the taskbar and hit the Firefox button,
    > which then opens and all open tabs are there and you have to click
    > onto one to return. Any way around that? I thought I downloaded the
    > tabbed browsing extension. Is there something that should be checked
    > in the settings?

    Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> "[ ] Always show the tab bar...?
    or
    Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> "New pages should be opened in..."?

    HTH, Miller
    --
    Damn straight i'd use a gun if i had it
    - and that's why i'd never get one.
    Miller, Dec 5, 2006
  4. Dickie Peters

    Andy J. Guest

    On 2006-12-05, Miller <> wrote:
    > *Dickie Peters* wrote on 05.12.06 03:48:
    >> I thought Firefox had tabbed browsing? Maybe what I am looking for is
    >> not considered that.

    Ctrl-T and you'll get a new tab.

    Andy J.
    Andy J., Dec 5, 2006