    setup had the one firefox tab (which then tabbed over to each window) ...not
    the individual windows themselves...am I making sense?

    Where do I download this extension?

    Warrior III, Jan 11, 2005

  2. Warrior III wrote:
    > Hi all
    >

    > a friend put me onto firefox and generally im happy - it seems faster too
    > than IE on cable - can that be?
    >

    > I want to find the extension that allows 1 tab to hide say 5 or 10 open
    > windows - unlike explorer which has 10 icons on the bottom toolbar, his
    > setup had the one firefox tab (which then tabbed over to each window) ...not
    > the individual windows themselves...am I making sense?

    No, not really. I think we may have a terminology problem.

    > Where do I download this extension?

    I don't think you are looking for an extension, I think you just need to
    get used to using tabs instead of opening windows. There are extensions
    that will assist with tabbed browsing, but, to start with, get out of
    the new windows habit. To start with, go to:

    Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Tabbed Browsing

    Check the boxes to open links from other applications in a new tab, and
    to force links that open new windows in a new tab. That by itself
    should stop the proliferation of new windows.

    If you want a link to open in a new tab, either right click and select
    open link in new tab, or middle click on it. Both should open new tabs
    regardless of how the link is targeted.

    Once you have got the habit of using tabs formed, you can begin to
    explore the use of some of the various extensions that enhance the
    native tabbed browsing capabilities.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Warrior III

    Warrior III Guest

    > Once you have got the habit of using tabs formed, you can begin to
    > explore the use of some of the various extensions that enhance the
    > native tabbed browsing capabilities.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks, thats what I wanted to do.

    Now can you tell me some of the most common and worthwhile extensions for a
    nOOb?

    Warrior III, Jan 11, 2005
  4. Warrior III wrote:
    >>Once you have got the habit of using tabs formed, you can begin to
    >>explore the use of some of the various extensions that enhance the
    >>native tabbed browsing capabilities.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>

    > Thanks, thats what I wanted to do.
    >
    > Now can you tell me some of the most common and worthwhile extensions for a
    > nOOb?

    My honest thought is to get used to the browser out of the box first.
    Use it heavily for two weeks, as is, get a good sense of what it can do,
    and what it can't. Then you can look at extensions to add the
    functionality that you want, not what someone else likes.

    That being said, I have my own likes and I'm happy to share them. Others
    will tell you that some of the extensions I need are a waste, and, for
    them that's probably true.

    First and foremost Preferences Toolbar:

    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    There is a PrefButtons extension available for Firefox, which does play
    into the FF toolbar customization, but I never found it quite the same.
    Its really a Mozilla extension, but it does install into FF. Version 3.0
    is new, and a little buggy, so you might want to try 2.3.1 at first.

    Second' Web Developer Toolbar:

    http://webdeveloper.mozdev.org/

    Not everyone needs this one, but it adds a great series of tools for
    looking at and troubleshooting web pages.

    Third Adblock

    http://adblock.mozdev.org/

    The prefbar gives a way to kill annoying flash animations, but it
    doesn't kill ad flash. Adblock does, and more.

    Now for frillier things

    Search Button

    http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/#sb

    This one is just an idiosyncracy. I' am so used to a search biutton from
    my Mozilla suite days, that the lack of one bothere me, even thought I
    use the Enter key 90% of the time. So I put it in.

    Resize Search Box.

    http://dragtotab.mozdev.org/resizesearchbox/

    Many people complain that the search box in FF is too small, and they
    can't see what the are typing. This one fixes that.

    Now the one that will get me in trouble, but for me its a must have:

    Tab Browser Aextensions

    http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en

    Its a gigantic extension, which makes it confising. The fact that the
    developer is Japanese and has a little trouble creating a user interface
    that weorks well for English speaking users is also a problem. Some
    people love it, some hate it, some are just scared of it.

    I'm pne of those who loves it. I am so used to the incredible tab
    customization it allows that I have trouble using the browser without it.

    For all that, stay away for now. Get used to tabs ion FF out of the
    box. There are a number of smaller tab extensions that are easier to
    deal with that may serve, but you need to establish for yourself what
    your needs are.

    There are others that I use and like, but that's enought for now.

    Lee
    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 12, 2005
  5. Warrior III

    Warrior III Guest

    thanks!!!

    Warrior III, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Warrior III

    Splibbilla Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> in

    > Warrior III wrote:

    >> Now can you tell me some of the most common and worthwhile extensions
    >> for a nOOb?
    >>

    > My honest thought is to get used to the browser out of the box first.
    > Use it heavily for two weeks, as is, get a good sense of what it can
    > do, and what it can't. Then you can look at extensions to add the
    > functionality that you want, not what someone else likes.

    I'd add that newb should expect to blunder around with features. make frequent backups of bookmarks. everything else will be
    lost here and there. if you're messing around a lot.

    > That being said, I have my own likes and I'm happy to share them.
    > Others will tell you that some of the extensions I need are a waste,
    > and, for them that's probably true.
    >
    > First and foremost Preferences Toolbar:
    >
    > http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    >
    > There is a PrefButtons extension available for Firefox, which does
    > play into the FF toolbar customization, but I never found it quite the
    > same. Its really a Mozilla extension, but it does install into FF.
    > Version 3.0 is new, and a little buggy, so you might want to try 2.3.1

    v3 is good because it can be put into pulldown manus, allowing user to collapse the prefbar toolbar, giving more space for the
    web page. one problem with both versions is that any quiver in the mouse while customizing can send a prefbar object into
    limbo.
    In FF, prefbar menu has a Hide Prefbar (toolbar) command. (Command is needed because FF toolbars don't have the Netscape-
    style bar-collapser traffic-flag things on the side, as Moz has.)

    Prefbar (or any other search engine switcher?) is essential for convenient switching SRC engines in Moz.

    I strongly suggest selecting some of the SRC at Mycroft. Edit a SRC to your purposes.

    Currently I'm wondering how good some of the multi-engine extensions work. Needlesearch ,, and I think I've seen others.

    GoogleBar works well in Moz.

    > Second' Web Developer Toolbar:
    >
    > http://webdeveloper.mozdev.org/
    >
    > Not everyone needs this one, but it adds a great series of tools for
    > looking at and troubleshooting web pages.
    >
    > Third Adblock
    >
    > http://adblock.mozdev.org/
    >
    > The prefbar gives a way to kill annoying flash animations, but it
    > doesn't kill ad flash. Adblock does, and more.
    >
    > Now for frillier things
    >
    > Search Button
    >
    > http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/#sb
    >
    > This one is just an idiosyncracy. I' am so used to a search biutton
    > from my Mozilla suite days, that the lack of one bothere me, even
    > thought I use the Enter key 90% of the time. So I put it in.

    Agreed! Usually I use the mouse to paste into the search bar, so it's most natural to use the mouse to click "GO"/"SEARCH".
    Now I'd like to reduce the size of that button (and of some other buttons). I'd also like to see cut, copy, paste buttons on tool
    bar.

    Comparing Moz to FF, I prefer that image, cookie, etc permissions are in a menu in Moz.

    IEView extension is handy when you get to a stubborn site. Once or twice I've had to "zigzag" from IE, then FF (or Moz), then
    IE, then FF. I don't remember how many zigzags.. Ridiculous. But other wise, with only one browser, I would have given up.

    I have the Bugmenot extension, but haven't used it. Compared to just relying on Bugmenot Bookmarklet, the extension saves
    only one web page load, I guess.

    Sage RSS in FF works, but I don't seem to use RSS. :)

    > Tab Browser Aextensions
    >
    > http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en
    >
    > Its a gigantic extension, which makes it confising. The fact that the
    > developer is Japanese and has a little trouble creating a user
    > interface that weorks well for English speaking users is also a
    > problem. Some people love it, some hate it, some are just scared of
    > it.
    >
    > I'm pne of those who loves it. I am so used to the incredible tab
    > customization it allows that I have trouble using the browser without
    > it.
    >
    > For all that, stay away for now. Get used to tabs ion FF out of the
    > box. There are a number of smaller tab extensions that are easier to
    > deal with that may serve, but you need to establish for yourself what
    > your needs are.

    have you looked at Multizilla? As well as I recall reading, it seems to be kept up to current versions of Moz (and ff?)

    ok, here...
    http://multizilla.mozdev.org/

    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.5, all profiles: GoogleBar, PrefBar, CopyURL, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar. Usually java off,
    js on. Might GoogleBar be "mergeable" with an (added) src chooser in PrefBar (v. 3.0, build date 20041224)?

    Splibbilla, Jan 13, 2005
  7. Splibbilla wrote:
> [...]

    >>Its a gigantic extension, which makes it confising. The fact that the
    >>developer is Japanese and has a little trouble creating a user
    >>interface that weorks well for English speaking users is also a
    >>problem. Some people love it, some hate it, some are just scared of
    >>it.
    >>
    >>I'm pne of those who loves it. I am so used to the incredible tab
    >>customization it allows that I have trouble using the browser without
    >>it.
    >>
    >>For all that, stay away for now. Get used to tabs ion FF out of the
    >>box. There are a number of smaller tab extensions that are easier to
    >>deal with that may serve, but you need to establish for yourself what
    >>your needs are.

    > have you looked at Multizilla? As well as I recall reading, it seems to be kept up to current versions of Moz (and ff?)

    Last I looked, Multizilla does not work on Firefox at all, its a Suite
    only extension.

    I tried it once, in place of TBE. I ran it for a couple of weeks, then
    went back to TBE. It was murder getting the remnants of Multizilla out.

    It reminds me of TBE though, a gigantic extension with so many options
    its hard to keep track of the all. Much like TBE, if you've been using
    it for a while and know what you want from it, its probably great.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 13, 2005