T-Bird protected by NIS?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by graeme@invalid, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. WCH wrote:
    > I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key issue I
    > can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet Security),
    > which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems to work
    > very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
    > Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch? I
    > know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but want to
    > know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
    > WC

    I use Vet Anti Virus in Thunderbid, it detects at least one and
    sometimes four infected Emails a day. It then deletes the virus and
    Thunerbird puts the Email straight into the junk folder.

    WCH, Oct 31, 2004

  3. graeme@invalid

    Parko Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key issue I
    > can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet Security),
    > which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems to work
    > very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
    > Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch? I
    > know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but want to
    > know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
    > WC

    Chunderturd works OK on W32 OSs. Use VET AV when I boot Windows.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Oct 31, 2004
  4. graeme@invalid

    WCH Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > WCH wrote:
    > > I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key

    issue I
    > > can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet

    Security),
    > > which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems to

    work
    > > very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
    > > Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch?

    > > know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but want

    > > know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
    > > WC
    > >

    > Chunderturd works OK on W32 OSs. Use VET AV when I boot Windows.
    >

    > --
    > Parko
    > Registered Linux User #339345

    For the time being I'm not going to switch away from Norton Internet
    Security. I know it's a resource hog, but I've had good luck with it
    preventing viruses and trojans, which is the point after all. I'm running
    W2k, BTW, fully patched and updated.
    WC

    WCH, Oct 31, 2004
  5. graeme@invalid

    Ionizer Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key

    issue I
    > can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet

    Security),
    > which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems to

    work
    > very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
    > Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch?

    > know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but want

    > know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
    > WC

    The third post on this page (posted by AorB) indicates that Norton will
    work with Thunderbird:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewt...=0&postorder=asc&highlight=antivirus&start=21

    Even if it didn't, it's my understanding that the apparent second layer of
    protection offered by NAV's email scanning is superfluous, since the
    on-access Auto-Protect would intercept any malicious attachments when you
    try to open them.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Oct 31, 2004
  6. graeme@invalid wrote:
    > WCH wrote:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key
    >> issue I
    >> can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet Security),
    >> which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems
    >> to work
    >> very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
    >> Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch? I
    >> know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but
    >> want to
    >> know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
    >> WC
    >>

    > I use Vet Anti Virus in Thunderbid, it detects at least one and
    > sometimes four infected Emails a day. It then deletes the virus and
    > Thunerbird puts the Email straight into the junk folder.

    i use thunderbird, and norton, no prob!

    gideon

    Gideon Stargrave, Nov 1, 2004
  7. graeme@invalid

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in

    > I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key
    > issue I can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet
    > Security), which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express
    > that seems to work very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it?
    > Are there other Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before
    > making the switch? I know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm
    > open to switching, but want to know more about what I'm doing. Any
    > insights appreciated. WC

    Norton Antivirus will protect you from getting a virus through Thunderbird,
    even if you turn email scanning off (which you should, it is a worthless
    feature).

    Jim Berwick, Nov 1, 2004
  8. graeme@invalid

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Ionizer mused:

    | Even if it didn't, it's my understanding that the apparent second layer of
    | protection offered by NAV's email scanning is superfluous, since the
    | on-access Auto-Protect would intercept any malicious attachments when you
    | try to open them.

    That's correct.

    mhicaoidh, Nov 1, 2004