    However, will my most favourite internet and email apps (guess which?)
    work on Linux distros?

    See, i told you i knew nothing ...
    Tx2, Dec 23, 2004

  2. (On 12/23/2004 3:01 PM) Tx2 wrote:

    > Knowing nothing about Linux, but discovering 'freedom' of M$ via
    > Thunderbird and Firefox, i'm toying with setting up a redundant system
    > here with a Linux distro (recommendations?)

    Do you want to learn? Then try Gentoo. If you want something easy to
    install, try something else.

    > However, will my most favourite internet and email apps (guess which?)
    > work on Linux distros?

    Yes.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info-
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    ::..BRIAN..::, Dec 23, 2004

  3. Tx2

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tx2 wrote:
    > Knowing nothing about Linux, but discovering 'freedom' of M$ via
    > Thunderbird and Firefox, i'm toying with setting up a redundant system
    > here with a Linux distro (recommendations?)
    >
    > However, will my most favourite internet and email apps (guess which?)
    > work on Linux distros?
    >
    > See, i told you i knew nothing ...

    Good luck! I had a similar temptation and tried Knoppix, Mandrake and
    Linspire on a couple of laptops. The Toshiba I couldn't even get
    started because the install selected an option that gave an unreadable
    screen and I could go no further. The Sony worked fine except it did
    not install any drivers for the 802.11 card. I spent a day trying to
    work out how to get it working, all of which seemed to involve going in
    and writing bits of code. In the end I decided I did not have enough
    time to learn how to do such a simple task let alone anything more
    complex that was bound to crop up. So sadly I am back stuck on XP Pro.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Dec 23, 2004
  4. (On 12/23/2004 4:06 PM) Tony Raven wrote:
    > Tx2 wrote:
    >
    >> Knowing nothing about Linux, but discovering 'freedom' of M$ via
    >> Thunderbird and Firefox, i'm toying with setting up a redundant system
    >> here with a Linux distro (recommendations?)
    >>
    >> However, will my most favourite internet and email apps (guess which?)
    >> work on Linux distros?
    >>
    >> See, i told you i knew nothing ...

    > Good luck! I had a similar temptation and tried Knoppix, Mandrake and
    > Linspire on a couple of laptops. The Toshiba I couldn't even get
    > started because the install selected an option that gave an unreadable
    > screen and I could go no further. The Sony worked fine except it did
    > not install any drivers for the 802.11 card. I spent a day trying to
    > work out how to get it working, all of which seemed to involve going in
    > and writing bits of code. In the end I decided I did not have enough
    > time to learn how to do such a simple task let alone anything more
    > complex that was bound to crop up. So sadly I am back stuck on XP Pro.
    >
    > Tony

    Did you check [http://www.linux-laptop.net/] when you did your install?
    It's useful to read about someone else installing Linux on the same
    type of laptop you have. I don't believe Knoppix is really designed for
    daily use; I don't like Mandrake either; and I've never tried Linspire.
    I like Gentoo, and then Fedora after that.

    ::..BRIAN..::, Dec 23, 2004
  5. Tx2

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth Tony Raven <> in news:330qb6F3rg7n8U1
    @individual.net:

    > Good luck! I had a similar temptation and tried Knoppix,
    > Mandrake and Linspire on a couple of laptops.

    Check out Mepis Linux. <http://www.mepis.org/>, with more info at
    <http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis>.

    It's a live-CD distro that installs easily on your PC from the live-
    CD desktop -- very slick. On my HP with a WiFi card, it worked right
    away. It certainly outstrips Knoppix -- it's the best Live-CD distro
    I've found. Now, if I could just get VMware Tools to install on it,
    I'd be 100% happy with it.

    --
    George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
    Tom Betz, Dec 23, 2004
  6. Tx2

    Tony Raven Guest

    ::..BRIAN..:: wrote:

    > Did you check [http://www.linux-laptop.net/] when you did your install?
    > It's useful to read about someone else installing Linux on the same
    > type of laptop you have. I don't believe Knoppix is really designed for
    > daily use; I don't like Mandrake either; and I've never tried Linspire.
    > I like Gentoo, and then Fedora after that.

    Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a try again sometime although the relevant
    page - http://www.dinkercharak.com/comp/linux-sony.htm - is typical of
    the level of code detail you need to get into just to get started.

    The trouble is everyone tells you a different version is the best. I
    tried the first two from recommendation and then the last because it was
    supposed to be the easiest to configure and the best developed for laptops.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Dec 23, 2004
  7. Tx2

    Z Guest

    ::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
    >> Knowing nothing about Linux, but discovering 'freedom' of M$ via
    >> Thunderbird and Firefox, i'm toying with setting up a redundant system
    >> here with a Linux distro (recommendations?)

    > Do you want to learn? Then try Gentoo. If you want something easy to
    > install, try something else.

    LEARN?! You misspelled "have a completely unworkable Linux system for a
    week or more, and spend all that time cursing."

    Gentoo and similar distros (similar meaning: you REALLY have to know the
    nuts and bolts to set them up correctly) are horrible for first-time
    Linux users.

    JMHO.

    To the original poster: Try SuSE or Red Hat.

    ps: Set aside a separate _system_ for Linux, not just a separate disk or
    partititon inside your Windows box.
    Z, Dec 24, 2004