    are instructed not to close them. They must be the central brain in windows
    or something.
    Jeff

    McWideGlide, Jun 17, 2005

  2. McWideGlide

    pengulin Guest

    Neither close will be permanent (won't survive a reboot). Systray relates to
    your system tray (where the clock and other items show up in the bottom
    right corner of the screen) . Although you normally want to leave that
    running, It wouldn't be catastrophic if you accidentally close it. Explorer
    is the Windows shell program, the GUI that allows you to navigate in Windows
    98. I've never purposefully ended task on it from the task manager, however
    there have been plenty of times where it has crashed and the system prompted
    for a close or end task on the explorer shell, after which explorer is
    immediately restarted. If Active desktop is running you may get a message to
    restore or restart your active desktop.

    pengulin, Jun 17, 2005

  3. McWideGlide

    Guest

    On "McWideGlide" <> wrote:

    |>My son and I use the windows 98 pent II 400 for some gaming . Slow but
    |>working until our new one arrives someday. I end task on everything but
    |>explorer and systray per instructions on several games. My son does the
    |>same. It seems to speed up the game a bit. Question is what happens if one
    |>of us end tasks explorer and systray by mistake. Will they reload on a
    |>reboot or will something else happen. What do these two items do that you
    |>are instructed not to close them. They must be the central brain in windows
    |>or something.
    |>Jeff

    If you end the Explorer task you reboot, but not by shutting down.

    It's a shortcut on 98, NT, & WK2 that when you make changes to your
    registry you could shut down explorer and get a real quick reboot.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w

    , Jun 17, 2005
  4. McWideGlide

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:08:02 GMT He understood Liz1 so well
    "McWideGlide" <> wrote :

    >My son and I use the windows 98 pent II 400 for some gaming . Slow but
    >working until our new one arrives someday.

    Why slow?
    Click here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html

    >I end task on everything but
    >explorer and systray per instructions on several games.

    I'm a,"Gamer" never seen any game in 10 years on PCs suggest or ask
    for this????????????????????

    Question is what happens if one
    >of us end tasks explorer and systray by mistake.

    You re-boot.

    >Will they reload on a
    >reboot or will something else happen.

    Yes they will re-load on a re-boot.
    Yes something else may happen
    Vague question,vague answer ;-)

    > What do these two items do that you
    >are instructed not to close them.

    They are basically the Windows operating system ;-)

    >They must be the central brain in windows
    >or something.

    Not or,"Something".You are correct :p

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,