    this and MSCONFIG does not help either. Is their a way to have XP start and
    show me each app loading and what files each is using?

    Hugh
    Hugh Sutherland, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Hugh Sutherland wrote:

    > When my system boots up I always come up with a message that says something
    > to the matter of trying to start system32.exe which is supposedly in
    > windows\system32 folder. I have no idea which application is trying to do
    > this and MSCONFIG does not help either. Is their a way to have XP start and
    > show me each app loading and what files each is using?
    >
    > Hugh

    Your computer is/was infected. Try a decent AV program. I like EZ
    Antivirus, don't like Norton or McAfee.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Hugh Sutherland

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:32:05 -0500, "Hugh Sutherland"
    <> wrote:

    >When my system boots up I always come up with a message that says something
    >to the matter of trying to start system32.exe which is supposedly in
    >windows\system32 folder. I have no idea which application is trying to do
    >this and MSCONFIG does not help either. Is their a way to have XP start and
    >show me each app loading and what files each is using?
    >
    >Hugh

    Windows XP doesn't have a file called "System32.exe"

    It's probably "Backdoor.Sdbot"

    Free online virus scanners

    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://security.norton.com/default.asp?langid=us&venid=sym
    http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/onlineviruscheck.html
    http://www.dials.ru/english/www_av/
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Another possibility is to borrow a second computer with
    anti-virus software on it, and put that HDD in it as a slave, and run the
    anti-virus software to clean it up.

    Anti-trojan software
    http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au

    Anti-virus software
    http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/
    http://www.tudogs.com/virus.php

    Information and links to Anti-Virus vendors, On-line Scanning sites,
    Removal Tools, latest threats, Freeware Page, newsletters, etc

    http://virusall.com/sitemap.html

    On-Line Scanning page links
    http://virusall.com/downscan.html
    Unk, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Hugh Sutherland

    M Mullen Guest

    wrote:

    |> When my system boots up I always come up with a message that says something
    |> to the matter of trying to start system32.exe which is supposedly in
    |> windows\system32 folder. I have no idea which application is trying to do
    |> this and MSCONFIG does not help either. Is their a way to have XP start and
    |> show me each app loading and what files each is using?

    Besides the problem you have (reading the other replies).

    An answer to the question of what's loading, generate a Bootlog.txt to see
    what's being loaded at start-up.

    There is a file called Depends.exe not sure if XP has it. It's supplied with all
    the Resource kits (so it's part of my system). It will tell what a file loads or
    uses to function. It's pretty intense.

    Or:
    Dependency Walker recursively scans all dependent modules required by a
    particular application.

    Might want to check your E-mail.
    --
    ,,