    recognize it? I tried doing it manually and still nothing... There's
    no power switch on my scanner and it may sound a little weird when I
    plug it in.

    Farmer Ted, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Farmer Ted

    Stevo Guest

    Farmer Ted wrote:
    > I finally got my PC back up after Windows had crashed last week. I'm
    > running Win2000 Pro. My PC won't recognize my scanner. I was running
    > my printer to the scanner to my printer port, and it recognized the
    > printer fine and installed the correct driver. My PC won't even
    > recognize the scanner. I tried unplugging everything and plugging the
    > scanner alone to the port and still nothing. I don't think much of the
    > printer working through the scanner because that's just running
    > through a loop in the back of the scanner, right?
    >
    > I'm wondering if my power cable is bad to my scanner...if it was bad
    > power and it's not getting the right juice, should the PC still
    > recognize it? I tried doing it manually and still nothing... There's
    > no power switch on my scanner and it may sound a little weird when I
    > plug it in.

    Have a look in your system BIOS and see what the printer port is set to,
    SPP, EPP, ECP or ECP+EPP..

    I would think you need to have to one of the latter 3, but NOT to SPP.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Farmer Ted

    hugh jass Guest

    How old is the scanner?
    I have a Canon scanner that I bought four years ago that is not recognized
    on my win2000 or winXP machine, but works great on win98. Go figure.
    best of luck, hj

    --
    ______________________
    :

    hugh jass, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Farmer Ted

    Patrick Guest

    Farmer Ted wrote:
    > I finally got my PC back up after Windows had crashed last week. I'm
    > running Win2000 Pro. My PC won't recognize my scanner. I was running
    > my printer to the scanner to my printer port, and it recognized the
    > printer fine and installed the correct driver. My PC won't even
    > recognize the scanner. I tried unplugging everything and plugging the
    > scanner alone to the port and still nothing. I don't think much of the
    > printer working through the scanner because that's just running
    > through a loop in the back of the scanner, right?
    >
    > I'm wondering if my power cable is bad to my scanner...if it was bad
    > power and it's not getting the right juice, should the PC still
    > recognize it? I tried doing it manually and still nothing... There's
    > no power switch on my scanner and it may sound a little weird when I
    > plug it in.

    I bought my self a USB scanner, power was supplied via the USB cable.
    Anyway, when I plugged it in, nothing, absolutely nothing.
    Drivers supplied where not for XP, so downloaded driver for XP, installed
    (*.exe), plugged scanner in, all OK.

    Thus do you have the correct drivers (Win2000 wasn't it) installed (possibly
    before connecting).

    Patrick, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Farmer Ted

    Farmer Ted Guest

    > I bought my self a USB scanner, power was supplied via the USB cable.
    > Anyway, when I plugged it in, nothing, absolutely nothing.
    > Drivers supplied where not for XP, so downloaded driver for XP, installed
    > (*.exe), plugged scanner in, all OK.
    >
    > Thus do you have the correct drivers (Win2000 wasn't it) installed (possibly
    > before connecting).

    No, I hadn't installed the driver yet, but I tried the scanner on my
    old Win98SE system last night and it wouldn't recognize on that
    either...this is the PC I had when I first got the scanner, and I
    never had a problem before. This week has been hell. Windows crashed
    on my PC and I had to find a borrowed copy of Win2000. There's all
    kinds of old files that are interfering with me reinstalling software.
    So, this weekend, I'm going to burn all my important files to disc,
    and completely reformat/clean install 2000. Plus my scanner is
    apparently shot (The scanner is supposed to move to the front when you
    plug it in, like it does when scanning. It doesn't seem to be moving
    all the way, and a new power cord didn't help.). Also, my Epson c82
    printer, which is the 2nd or 3rd replacement Epson sent me for my old
    c80 (which died after 1 month) isn't printing right (I cleaned the
    nozzles and all that), so I have to buy a new printer as well.
    Basically everything crapped the bed in the same week.

    Farmer Ted, Sep 16, 2003