    system. This is a Dell 8100 dimension, p4-1400Mhz, 256 MB RAM, XP w/SP-1.

    This one has got me baffled. I am hoping one of you "more experienced"
    techs in here may have a simple solution for me. :)

    X, Sep 24, 2003

  2. X

    Kenny Guest

    Try changing the battery and look for a BIOS flash update for your m/b.

    --

    Kenny

    "X" <> wrote in message
    > This seems to be a sporadic problem.... The bios appears to be losing both
    > ide chains during the post. If I unplug the ide cable from the HD, then
    > plug back in, then restart the system, it will post and load XP fine. It
    > will continue to work good for 4-5 days, then won't post again till I

    unplug

    Kenny, Sep 24, 2003

  3. X

    X Guest

    hey Kenny, thanks for the response. I was thinking about replacing the
    battery also, this will be my next step. I had already updated the bios to
    the most recent version for this board.
    This is really a strange problem, and a tuffy to troubleshoot.

    X, Sep 24, 2003
  4. X

    AG Guest

    Maybe download the diagnostics for that particular drive manufacturer from
    the web site. They all have them and they are easy to run and pretty
    comprehensive in their tests. I've never had a similar problem but this
    might help.
    AG

    AG, Sep 25, 2003
  5. X

    X Guest

    Thanks AG, that is real good advice. I will try that this weekend. Another
    reason why I like reading this newsgroup!

    X, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Just curious about something. I believe that the 8100 has error code lights
    on the back of the case. Have you looked to see what the error lights might
    be indicating when the failure occurs? They do not offer a lot of
    information but coupled with the drive diagnostic disk, might help with
    troubleshooting. The following site might help:

    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dsleest/codemess.htm

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat Ochenduszko, Sep 27, 2003