    Can anyone tell me what the file is it's referring to ? "System.???"

    Thank you

    TrickTrash

    TrickTrash, Jan 19, 2007

  2. TrickTrash

    Cub Guest

    "TrickTrash" <guardclone-newz +removethis+ @yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've occasionally gotten this problem 'System won't boot, missing file'
    > "C:\Windows\System32\System."
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what the file is it's referring to ? "System.???"
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > TrickTrash

    Erm Operating system

    Cub, Jan 19, 2007

  3. TrickTrash

    Otter Guest

    In news:,
    TrickTrash <guardclone-newz +removethis+ @yahoo.co.uk> typed:
    > I've occasionally gotten this problem 'System won't boot, missing
    > file' "C:\Windows\System32\System."
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what the file is it's referring to ? "System.???"

    Start here -
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/f768809f-ed90-415f-a83f-89b42108b3551033.mspx

    A repair install should correct the problem with a missing or damaged system
    file, if that is the problem. Make sure you understand what a repair
    install means.

    Hardware defects can also do this, but I'd try the repair install first.

    Otter, Jan 19, 2007
  4. TrickTrash

    old man Guest

    It means either the registry is corrupt or the hd is failing

    old man, Jan 20, 2007
  5. TrickTrash

    old man Guest

    incorrect

    old man, Jan 20, 2007
  6. TrickTrash

    pcbutts1 Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    pcbutts1, Jan 20, 2007
  7. TrickTrash

    Otter Guest

    In news:mDesh.66906$,
    old man <> typed:
    > It means either the registry is corrupt or the hd is failing

    What's your solution?

    Otter, Jan 20, 2007
  8. TrickTrash

    WhzzKdd Guest

    old man wrote:

    > "TrickTrash" <guardclone-newz +removethis+ @yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> I've occasionally gotten this problem 'System won't boot, missing
    >> file' "C:\Windows\System32\System."
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me what the file is it's referring to ? "System.???"
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> TrickTrash

    > It means either the registry is corrupt or the hd is failing

    Registry errors are sometimes recoverable. See the Windows support site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

    I've done this a number of times, sometimes with good success, sometimes
    with poor results. For example, once when it was the software portion of the
    registry, the system had nothing listed in add/remove programs, although all
    installed programs worked.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 20, 2007
  9. TrickTrash

    WhzzKdd Guest

    WhzzKdd, Jan 20, 2007
  10. TrickTrash

    pcbutts1 Guest

    TT? I was wondering what happened to you. San Diego but they lost too so now
    it's "The Bears"

    pcbutts1, Jan 20, 2007
  11. TrickTrash

    WhzzKdd Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > TT? I was wondering what happened to you. San Diego but they lost too
    > so now it's "The Bears"

    Me too. Go Bears!

    I spent the last few months slaving away at a project that took so much of
    my time that I dropped off the deep end for a while.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 20, 2007
  12. TrickTrash

    philo Guest

    > I've occasionally gotten this problem 'System won't boot, missing file'
    > "C:\Windows\System32\System."
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what the file is it's referring to ? "System.???"

    first thing to try is run chkdsk /f say "yes" then reboot

    philo, Jan 20, 2007
  13. TrickTrash

    TrickTrash Guest

    Philo

    I should have said it was in c:\windows\system32\config\system.

    I've since learnt this means a corrupt registry and been steered to a Help &
    Support Article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 to find out how to
    deal with this.

    Thanks very much for your reply

    All the best