    Does anyone know how I can fix this WITHOUT having to backup, reformat
    and restore the drive.

    TIA

    Lowly Engineer, Jun 29, 2007

  2. Lowly Engineer

    PeeCee Guest

    "Lowly Engineer" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > When I boot XP Pro, I get the msg "The file or directory \System
    > Volume Information is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk
    > utility"
    >
    > I have run Chkdsk /f /x numerous times, but the problem remains.
    > Does anyone know how I can fix this WITHOUT having to backup, reformat
    > and restore the drive.
    >
    > TIA

    Sounds like a corrupted Registry.

    Try this advice:

    http://www.pchell.com/support/recoverfromcorruptedregistry.shtml

    Best
    Paul

    PeeCee, Jun 29, 2007

  3. Lowly Engineer

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Turn off system restore.

    pcbutts1, Jun 29, 2007
  4. That did it ! Thanks !

    Lowly Engineer, Jun 30, 2007
  5. Lowly Engineer

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You're Welcome! now turn it back on. If the problem returns (which I doubt
    it will) then a system restore re-install is needed.

    pcbutts1, Jun 30, 2007